CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Community (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=76936)

Chris Mason 08-13-2012 06:54 PM

Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Liberati (Post 1085791)
Chris,

Sounds like you had a good weekend. Other than serving the CF community, do you CrossFit these days or plan on opening a CF affiliate?

You know, I told coach and some others I am pretty sure I am going to open an affiliate. The weekend really solidified my desire to do so. I want to be even more a part of the CrossFit movement. My personal focus is still on powerlifting.

Chris Mason 08-13-2012 06:59 PM

Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo Santos (Post 1085820)
I'd pay to see Chris do double unders. LOL. Glad you had a great time Chris.

Dude, my problem is that my shoulders and arms more or less preclude the O-lifts. I can't overhead press well because my shoulders are so tight I can't get into position. I can't get into the rack position for that reason, and because my biceps and forearms are large. I'm not joking, I literally can't come even close.

Now, with a little practice I CAN do double unders. I can do burpees. My shoulders are again a problem for kipping chins. They just won't tolerate it.

Lest anyone jump to conclusions, my shoulder issues are from years of NOT training properly and consequently injuring them.

Chris Mason 08-13-2012 07:01 PM

Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Thomas (Post 1086008)
Look I'm not saying I trust Anthos or know their intentions, but if it were MY money why is there not incentive to get in on half of a business that almost doubles in size every year? Maybe they do think they can do it better and will wreck everything, but is it so outrageous to think they just see a fat money train and want to ride it?

Yes, because what CrossFit currently is doing would not be enough for a private equity firm (not the growth, the model of not milking the affiliates dry).

Rob Poling Jr 08-13-2012 07:26 PM

Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Mason (Post 1086037)
Yes, because what CrossFit currently is doing would not be enough for a private equity firm (not the growth, the model of not milking the affiliates dry).

Absolutely. Equity firms purchase companies for one reason and one reason only, to maximize profits. They don't care about the product or your health just how to mass market it to people looking for the easy way. The more gullible people the better.

Paulo Santos 08-13-2012 07:35 PM

Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Mason (Post 1086035)
Dude, my problem is that my shoulders and arms more or less preclude the O-lifts. I can't overhead press well because my shoulders are so tight I can't get into position. I can't get into the rack position for that reason, and because my biceps and forearms are large. I'm not joking, I literally can't come even close.

Now, with a little practice I CAN do double unders. I can do burpees. My shoulders are again a problem for kipping chins. They just won't tolerate it.

Lest anyone jump to conclusions, my shoulder issues are from years of NOT training properly and consequently injuring them.

Man, that kind of sucks about your shoulders. That would be cool if you open up your own box.

Cain Deckhard 08-13-2012 08:16 PM

Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Mason (Post 1086037)
Yes, because what CrossFit currently is doing would not be enough for a private equity firm (not the growth, the model of not milking the affiliates dry).

Been lurking for a while, felt like I should comment.

It's not that it wouldn't be enough for a PE firm per se, it's that if you have the choice between:

A. Making a $10 million profit and be understanding of the community or
B. Making a $20 million profit and screw over a few exercise facilities

any profit-oriented ex-Goldman guy is going to pick option B.

David Alexander 08-14-2012 06:08 AM

Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Thomas (Post 1086014)
Mmmmmm. No it's not like that at all. It's more like giving someone a lot of money with the idea that I might get a ton back for doing absolutely nothing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cain Deckhard (Post 1086058)
Been lurking for a while, felt like I should comment.

It's not that it wouldn't be enough for a PE firm per se, it's that if you have the choice between:

A. Making a $10 million profit and be understanding of the community or
B. Making a $20 million profit and screw over a few exercise facilities

any profit-oriented ex-Goldman guy is going to pick option B.

This point has been made so many times. If Matt Thomas, and others, don't understand this by now, they ain't ever going to get it.

Brody McMann 08-14-2012 06:17 AM

Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit
 
Since the affiliates are more or less independent businesses anyway, what if HQ was turned into a co-op? Affiliates could by a share (or it could be included with L1 cert in the future) and pay whatever monthly or yearly fee to keep HQ running.

Coach Glassman and current HQ staff could run the co-op doing research and providing mainsite WODs, organising games and pretty much whatever else going on at HQ for the whole community.

Seems like it would reflect the community aspect of Crossfit and also would be harder if not impossible for a profiteer to scoop up significant share. The "profits" would go to new gear for games or just reducing the affiliate fees if they have enough income.

Tom Nguyen 08-14-2012 10:05 AM

Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit
 
nice summary for those who don't want to read this enormous thread:

http://www.thedeal.com/content/restr...it-tied-up.php (WFS)

Blair Robert Lowe 08-14-2012 11:21 AM

Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit
 
Co-op. Hippie.

Seriously, think back to how much $$ they pull in each other. Even after they pay people, they are probably comfortable.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.