CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Testimonials (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Some new records (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=68549)

Scott Walters 07-07-2011 08:28 PM

Some new records

Had crossfit total today. Third time ever. Have now gone from an 80 kg back squat to 130, 50 kg strict press to 60, 100 kg dead lift to 155, all in under 6 months. Pretty happy to say the least

Dave Traeger 07-08-2011 02:50 AM

Re: Some new records

You do total pretty frequently?!

Pretty monstrous improvement though, not far away from the 1000lbs club! :kicking0:

Scott Walters 07-08-2011 04:13 AM

My first one way one of my first wods and we have done it twice since then, so yea I guess pretty frequently

Scott Walters 09-02-2011 03:02 AM

Crossfit total again......325.5 kg tonight, another pb

David Baxter 09-02-2011 03:31 AM

bloody excellent mate - well done :)

Daniel Frankel 09-05-2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Walters (Post 981377)
Crossfit total again......325.5 kg tonight, another pb

Great job! Good to see constant improvements! However, as the total is just a test of total strength, I would advise doing it no more often than once every 6 months at least. If you are curious about your approx. total, take your most recent 5RM or 3RM, and find your 1RM with a calculator (or if your 1RM is most recent, use that), and just add up your most recent achievments in your lifts.

Happy lifting! :)

Struan Potter 09-07-2011 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel (Post 982209)
Great job! Good to see constant improvements! However, as the total is just a test of total strength, I would advise doing it no more often than once every 6 months at least. If you are curious about your approx. total, take your most recent 5RM or 3RM, and find your 1RM with a calculator (or if your 1RM is most recent, use that), and just add up your most recent achievments in your lifts.

Happy lifting! :)

1RM calculators are inaccurate. There is only one reliable way to test a 1RM.

Daniel Frankel 09-07-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Struan Potter (Post 982907)
1RM calculators are inaccurate. There is only one reliable way to test a 1RM.

Understandable, but I personally feel that 1RM's are more of an ego thing. Sure, maybe once a year I'll do a total to see where I'm at, but won't you get better strength gains by doing 5's and 3's and just using a calculator to get a general sense of where you are at?

Struan Potter 09-07-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel (Post 983079)
Understandable, but I personally feel that 1RM's are more of an ego thing. Sure, maybe once a year I'll do a total to see where I'm at, but won't you get better strength gains by doing 5's and 3's and just using a calculator to get a general sense of where you are at?

Um, take a look at Westside who max twice a week.

Or any of the top weightlifters who maxed 6 days a week.

Sean Dunston 09-07-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel (Post 983079)

Seriously?
No offense, but how much experience do you have with tracking your (or other people's) progress on strength gains when doing lifts at 5s 3s and singles?

Even when I was doing purely CF, my box programmed 1RM lifts way more frequently than 1x per year.