CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Starting (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   pull up bars for apartment (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=67284)

Erin Hightower 05-20-2011 10:15 AM

pull up bars for apartment

So I live in an apartment. There are limited rules on screwing stuff in the walls. Limited Space. Knowing these facts if I want a pull up station... what do you recommend?

What do you use for a setup for pull ups at home?
I added to no door jams thing because the 30 buck put in doorway model do look like they take molding. Can you use it without molding? (I don't have molding)

Rebecca Roth 05-20-2011 12:41 PM

Re: pull up bars for apartment

If you are at college.. make friends with someone in auto/metal shop, get them to build you a freestanding pullup station. Should be pretty easy/inexpensive.

Jonathan Vechet 05-20-2011 01:11 PM

I personally ignored the rules in my apartment and drilled into my ceiling and wall; both of which are concrete.

I don't plan on getting my security deposit back.

John A. Smith 05-20-2011 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know what molding is. I would recommend Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar Extreme Edition if it can be mounted without molding. I used to have one. Use a ratchet set to assemble the bar because the little tool that comes with it is a piece of garbage. (wfs)

Erin Hightower 05-21-2011 11:00 AM

Jonathan I'm reaching the point of being about ready to say screw it and screw it in. I've lived here for 5 yrs... not like I expected the deposit anyway

John...molding is the wooden trim around a door way .... I thought all those door jam, no screws, took molding....maybe I'll go ask big 5/sports authority if that'ss true or not

Robert Fabsik 05-21-2011 11:21 AM

I think you are right that it needs molding. Looking at the picture John provided, the horizontal piece rests on top of molding to help lock it in place.

I wonder if you bought one of the door jam ones and then installed just an inch or two of molding where the door jam pullup bar would lock in. This could then be easily removed and puddied/painted with minimal wear and tear to your apartment.

Jonathan Vechet 05-21-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin Hightower (Post 939057)
Jonathan I'm reaching the point of being about ready to say screw it and screw it in. I've lived here for 5 yrs... not like I expected the deposit anyway

John...molding is the wooden trim around a door way .... I thought all those door jam, no screws, took molding....maybe I'll go ask big 5/sports authority if that'ss true or not

If you do plan on going that route make sure that you are drilling into studs or something solid. I was fortunate to have concrete.

As far as the door jams go; I used to have one; actually still do, I just don't use it anymore. I do believe that molding is required, because that's where the leverage comes from. Not a physics expert, but it sounds right.

Have you also considered a stand alone system? Something like this: http://trapezerigging.com/FreeStandi...ablePullupBar/ WFS

Erin Hightower 05-21-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet (Post 939070)
If you do plan on going that route make sure that you are drilling into studs or something solid. I was fortunate to have concrete.

As far as the door jams go; I used to have one; actually still do, I just don't use it anymore. I do believe that molding is required, because that's where the leverage comes from. Not a physics expert, but it sounds right.

Have you also considered a stand alone system? Something like this: http://trapezerigging.com/FreeStandi...ablePullupBar/ WFS

Yeah my DH is a construction guy...He'll always make sure it's done right :)

I like the stand alones... the problem is my apt is small and I really don't have the room.

Erin Hightower 05-21-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik (Post 939068)
I think you are right that it needs molding. Looking at the picture John provided, the horizontal piece rests on top of molding to help lock it in place.

I wonder if you bought one of the door jam ones and then installed just an inch or two of molding where the door jam pullup bar would lock in. This could then be easily removed and puddied/painted with minimal wear and tear to your apartment.

hhmmm not a bad idea...

John A. Smith 05-21-2011 11:54 AM

OP, if you go the free standing route you may want to checkout Ross Enamait's website and do a search for a less expensive homemade DIY pull-bar or do a Google search for homemade pull-bars.

Edit: I have seen the pull-up bar/dipping station combo for under $200 at Modell's.