CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Health and Medical Issues (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Not really an issue but a question (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=66665)

Jeff Wheeler 04-22-2011 12:39 PM

Not really an issue but a question

Like what the title says, and if this is in the wrong section I apologzie. Whats the communities views on chiropractors? Do they work? Are they worth it? I have family in the medical field and its kind of a 50 50 split. Ive gone to one trying to help with lower back pain issues and dont think Ill be going back. Doing the mobility wod has helped more than anything. Just a question I was wondering though.

Geoff Archibald 04-22-2011 01:01 PM

Re: Not really an issue but a question

Not all chiropractors are the same. IME there has been a bit of a bridging between chiropractic therapy and physiotherapy in that there are a lot of physiotherapists who use chiropractic techniques and vice-versa.

My neck locked up last August, which was one of the more painful things I have experienced, so I went to physio to work it out. He used a combination of cracking my neck and upper back along with massage and electric stimulus to get the muscles to release and restore motion. I know that there are chiropractors who would use a similar approach.

I was firmly against chiropractors before this but now see that there are aspects to manipulations with some therapeutic benefit. That said, I would avoid any chiropractor who claim he can cure disease.

Brent Sallee 04-22-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Wheeler (Post 929101)
Like what the title says, and if this is in the wrong section I apologzie. Whats the communities views on chiropractors? Do they work? Are they worth it? I have family in the medical field and its kind of a 50 50 split. Ive gone to one trying to help with lower back pain issues and dont think Ill be going back. Doing the mobility wod has helped more than anything. Just a question I was wondering though.

Depends on the chiropractor. If they're thorough in their evaluation and looking for the source of the problem, rather than just ready to crack you without examining you or asking appropriate questions, then sure it's fine. In my experience, I've seen a lot of chiropractors who don't treat the problem, but rather treat the symptoms. That's why they have a repeat client base, which is great for their pocket books, but bad for the patient.

Brian Strump 04-23-2011 04:44 AM

Ever have a crappy attorney? Accountant? Mechanic? Teacher? Physical Therapist? CrossFit certified trainer(yikes!)

IMO, and unfortunately, some use their chiropractic education in order to get into other fields of pseudomedicine, while others use religion and other hard sales tactics to promote their profession. As a chiropractor, I'm embarrassed when I hear chiros talk like that.

That being said, there are thousands of great, and successful ones that find the cause of your dysfunction, and help with patients pain; and also those that work on patients without symptoms to promote health, and improve performance.

There's not a professional sports team without one, and it's not because they sponsor the team with $$$$....it's because a good one is worth the time to find.

Corey Linhart 04-25-2011 01:45 PM

I see a Chiropractor. Over the course of a couple months, a lot of the pain in my back had disappeared. He's my friend, and I trust him. The x-rays he took of my back showed a lot of improvement in the alignment of my spine and corrected some of the subluxation (ongoing process...did a lot of damage as a kid in wrestling). Brian is right, it all has to do with who you see, and if they're responsible or not!

Anne Dayton 04-25-2011 02:47 PM

I was referred to a chiro about 3 years ago (who also turned out to be a physical therapist and a trainer), certified in ART and a bunch of other stuff I don't remember. I was leary at first but he really won me over.
He introduced me to KBs and a bunch of exercises that look alot like Kstar's MWOD. He never pushed the back cracking/alignment, but he helped me fix my rotator cuff and then a year later helped me rehab a rib separation. So it depends.

Erin Hightower 05-10-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Wheeler (Post 929101)

just like everyone said there are good and bad ones.
Mine saved my life. I was in a bad car accident and went from working out 6 days a week to zero, couldn't move and couldn't walk more than a mile and half w/o blinding pain. He was the only thing that made it better . I tried osteotricians, physical therapy, but he is the only one that made me better, and also got me into crossfit eventually ;)

Find someone who can give you a reference. Find one that will listen to you, find one that will make goals w/ you. Find one that will listen to you if you say no, sudden movement etc.

Michael Gray 05-16-2011 07:26 AM

Q: Know what you call the person who graduates last in their class from medical school?
A: Doctor!

A good Chiropractor can fix a lot of mechanical things without using a knife. They also look at things like muscle and tendons as possible problems.

I've found that many Chiropractors also tend to use other alternatives as well. Thing like acupuncture, herbs and nutrition. I use mine like a General Practitioner. He keeps me pretty healthy and doesn't mind (even helps) when I grow my own herbs for healing. He does this even though he is licensed to prescribe pharmaceuticals.