CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Jason's Workout Log (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=48280)

Jason A Smith 01-28-2014 06:22 PM

Re: Jason's Workout Log

So I am pretty sore still so I told Mike that I could go today but it needed to look more like recovery and less like lactate endurance.

A. Snatch High Pull. Power Snatch, 1.1 @ 135lb per min x 10 mins - reset b/t reps - completed
B. Power Clean and Push Press, 1 rep @ 175lb per min x 10 mins - completed
C. 3 rounds @ moderately tough effort:
10 chest to bar
20 push-ups
30 cals Airdyne
8:12, all the C2B were UB, Push ups were UB, 15/5, 5/5/5/3/2. Decent effort tonight.

Holy I was the tin man for lifting.

Jordan Derksen 01-28-2014 07:29 PM

Just reading your write up my heart started going a bit thinking about competing there with you. Sounds like it was a blast man and being an old guy I'm proud of you man, this is your best overall placing in a comp right?

The Lsit is impressive. I used to train these regularly when I was crossfitting at the university and they are tough. I'm also surprised no one snatched over 225. I figured Wickham would have gone 240 for sure.

Here's hoping I make my weightlifting goals soon and can be ready for this next year. Festival du voyageur is Feb 15th and there's a weightlifting comp then. It'll be right in the middle of my cycle and it's two weeks away basically so I would have to change my training next week already which I won't do. I'm considering competing and just doing whatever I'm capable of and changing nothing. It's just unfortunately kind of expensive to compete just for fun. Gotta sign up for MWA ($50) and then the comp ($30). It's one thing to pay 70 bucks for a crossfit comp where there's prizes and a good time is had by all, but 80 bucks to snatch and clean and jerk I dunno.

Jason A Smith 01-28-2014 09:13 PM

One guy from Brandon did snatch 240#. It was pretty awesome and a PR for him. Tyson would likely have put on quite the show on that event and a couple others.

Derek couldn't stick the 225#, his snatch is 102, Clean and Jerk is 140. He would have killed the last event.

I would love to see you out there. This is a very difficult sport to guage progress as the events and who shows up play huge into how you do. This was my best ever effort at an event though with still lots of room for improvement.

I think another 6 months of lifting and hitting the goals you want and you should be good to go. The guy who won the event just started back last January doing Crossfit full time. He spent two years prior just lifting. He is 155# of fury. He won event #5 by all ost two minutes. He is a great guy.

Jason Bekolay 01-29-2014 01:07 PM

Yeah, John Gillis was super cool. He even helped clean up plates after the final event which was completely unnecessary.

Jason A Smith 01-29-2014 08:13 PM

Watch out for him during the Open and into Regionals, my guess....top ten at Regionals. We shall see though. Zack will be up there too, I would guess top 15 or maybe better. Depends on the events and who shows up.

That said, I am still gunning for last place at Regionals. It is my running joke about qualifying. If I make it, could be last but someone has to be.

Enough of that back to my training log...........Feeling a little better again today. Right knee is still sore and left calf, other than that decent.

A. Back Squat @ 20X1, build to a tough set of 3 - only one tough set - 145KG, which is a PR I believe. The last rep was awful. I thought about baling but couldn't figure out a good way to bail so I just finished up
B. Above Knee Hang Power Snatch, 2 tough reps per min x 10 mins - no dropping b/t reps - all done at 60KG, some were really snappy, a couple were not.
C. Bar Facing Burpees, 25 reps @ high effort x 4 sets, 2 min rest b/t sets - 1:20,1:21,1:25,1:26 solid effort on the burpees

Lifting was just ok tonight as noted. After the three on the squat I was pretty gassed. Racked the weight and was dizzy.

Rest day tomorrow. Going to spend an hour or maybe two working on recovery heading into the weekend.

Jason A Smith 01-31-2014 09:13 PM

I did spend some time working on recovery and thankful I did as well. Felt much more zippy tonight.

A. Front Squat @ 20X1, build to a tough set of 3 - pretty quickly to a set at 275# - tough but not "pass out" difficult
B. Pocket Squat Snatch. High Hang Squat Snatch, 1.1 @ moderately tough load per min x 10 mins - 120#X3, 125#X4, 130#X3 - these got progressivley better
C. Power Clean and Split Jerk, 1 rep per min x 10 mins - start @ 135lbs, add 5lbs per min - completed, was able to split jerk comfortably tonight
D. 15 touch n go power clean and push press @ 115lbs x 4 sets, 2-3 min b/t sets - UB/UB/10,5/5,5,5 - what a s$$$ show this turned into. All sets were about a minute or so no matter what.

Finally not feeling like a complete bag of crap. Ran into the guy who won the comp on the weekend. He said his legs were sore until Wednesday too. So at least it wasn't just me being old and whiny. Apparently thrusters suck crap. My shoulders were horrible tight tonight. I am going to have to loosen them up tomorrow.

Jason A Smith 02-01-2014 09:02 PM

Feeling quite a bit better today. Still fighting off something. Did not sleep well last night. Trained quite late for a Saturday, which may be a regular occurence for a few weeks, we shall see.

This was a tester for the Open to see where I am at, and likely for pactice
AMRAP in 10 minutes:
8 Deadlift @ 225lb
12 Burpees onto 24" box
7 Rounds + 4 DL's - all DL's UB until last round. Chose step up/down for the burpees (calf).

I moved really well on this and kept all rounds to about 1:20 or so. Happy with the effort, dug in well on the last three minutes and managed to maintain pace. Not sure what a good score would be but my guess is into round 9 ?

Still fighting a cold so happy I was able to maintain breathing on this one. Didn't pass out afterwards so that was good.

Jason A Smith 02-02-2014 02:46 PM

Made it to the end of this training week, which I will take as a moral victory. I feel less beat up than I did at this time last week too.

3 rounds @ high effort:
15 front squat @ 95lbs
15 gh sit-ups
250 row
6:35, was supposed to be 100 DUs, subbed rowing to give my calf more time to heal. This was faster than last time I did it, so that is good. I would say about 95% effort.
+
rest as needed
+
3 rounds @ high effort:
30 cals Airdyne
20 alternating db power snatch @ 70lbs
10 burpee ring muscle-ups
27:05. Once I started my goal was to keep this under 30:00. I had to upscale the snatches from 65#. Was supposed to do bar MUs but my left shoulder does not like them......at all. Decided to be smart. Rode an AD6 which counts cals a little slower than my bike at home. This was just slow and steady.

Still fighting something. Will need to spend some time on self maintenance the next couple day. Next week should be better.

Jason A Smith 02-04-2014 08:34 PM

Back at it tonight. Dropped back in at the affiliate I was going to. Will be doing the Open there so thought it best to go in and get used to it. They changed locations too so different place. Nice to train with some Crossfitters at the Crossfit gym.

A. Power Snatch. OHS, 1.1 - work to a challenging set - 165#, worked up in 10# increments, no misses all pretty good reps. Haven't hit that weight in a while on a PS
B. Squat Clean Thruster, build to a max set - 205# PR, felt good. Missed it once hit it on the second try, left it at that
C. 15,12,9 ALL OUT:
Chest to Bar
Burpees to 6" OH
2:38 - C2B just not there tonight, burpees I hustled really fast and never let up
(rest 10 min)
15,12,9 ALL OUT:
Chin-ups
Thrusters @ 95lbs
2:44 - first set UB after that broke thrusters only, went into the fetal position for a good 5 minutes after I was done. I almost feel ok an hour later.

I still have the last of a head cold. Happy with the lifting, a little bummed I couldn't push a little harder on the lactic endurance work. I wanted to go UB, it just wasn't happening. I mentally never gave up and pushed through so happy about that. And that is the key. If that brutal 4 minute test comes back up it will be a mental battle to the finish line.

Jason A Smith 02-05-2014 09:27 PM

Man, I need to figure out how to train on the morning or just come to grips with my night owl status. Anyways, back at it tonight. Later start but went really well.

A. Back Squat @ 20X1, build to a tough set of 2 - only one tough set - 335#, grinder for sure, did a double a 315# before it that was good so I went for a PR match and made it. Strength is holding in there.
B. touch n go power clean, 2-3-4-5-6-5-4-3-2, 45 sec - adjust load as needed, all tough sets - 195-195-185-185-175-185-185-195-195. I believe my best three is 215 or so, so happy with this. These did get pretty tough. Maybe could have upped the whole thing by 10#
C. Wall Balls - 20#, 20 unbroken reps per min x 7 mins - completed. This will sound lame but this made my day. Mentally, I struggle with WB's. Tonight they were good to set 5. Last few reps on 6 and 7 I actually had to "jump shot" them.

Late start and still fending off a bug but improved from yesterday. My legs will be angry tomorrow.