CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Stephen R. Lampl 01-23-2009 09:07 PM

Re: Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log

[quote=Ray McKinley;501104]Steve,

Thanks for the advice on the hammy. I spent about an hour and a half in an MRI machine today getting this thing checked out. The "sports med doc" thinks it is a Grade 2 tear. Believe it or not this knuckle head was gonna just send me home to wait it out....forever. He suggested that I give up intense sports. Wrong answer! I had to insist on an MRI. I really want to know where the injury is located and how bad it is before I start doing anything significant with it. I should have the MRI results next week. I will be laying low for the next day or two to let the initial trauma settle out. I am also meeting with a sports massage guy tommorow, and he is a 69 year old high hurdler, so he must know a little about flexibility. I'll take an old guy athlete / massage therapist over the sports med doc any day!

I will start into some very light range of motion and stretching next week, and if the pain is down and I can walk OK, then I may take on some air squats, some light rowing or swimming, and a lightly scaled Riptoe approach. I may also work in some upper body and core work WODs a couple of times a week to try to maintain what I can. I am guessing 4 to 8 weeks to get back to 90 to 100% on the hammy. There is absolutely no bruising or obvious swelling, but I can hardly walk and it is over 48 hours from the injury. I'll just have to wait for the MRI to see what is going on.

Anyway, I'll check the board for some motivation. Thanks.[/quote]

Ray,

Great news on the follow-up MRI. I have to agree with you...if you are not satisfied the extent of an injury has been explored to a level significant enough to make the appropriate determination, then go see someone who will check it out! If you indeed suffered a Level-2 (Grade 2) tear, you may not see evidence of local hemorrhaging or bruising for a couple of days. When I suffered my L-2 tear about 10 years ago, there was nothing for the first day or so. After about 48 hours tho, the whole back of my leg was turning colors. Looked awesome for about a week!

As for motivation, I don't think you have to look far....you sound really motivated and like you wanna "get some" even if you are "hamstrung" (no pun intended). That is just outstanding! For the next couple of days, get out the old ice pack and literally sit on it! Put that puppy under your hammy and go for 10 min on / 20 min off. Man the massage sounds nice! That will help immensely.

Not to spread misery, but I popped my left one slightly today doing weighted lunges. Really mild, a little stiff, but I was able to finish my WO using only body weight, so I'm really fortunate. What's strange is this "strain" happened in a different place in the muscle belly, so I guess I'll have to stretch and warm-up now to target specific portion of muscle groups........go figure!

Anyway, take care. Let me/us know how you make out and how your recovery progress goes!

Stephen R. Lampl 01-23-2009 09:10 PM

[quote=Justin McGinley;501027]Another solid workout. It seems like something clicked recently. You've been killing it.[/quote]

Thanks, my Man! Told my wife this evening I really love these workouts.........when their over....:rofl:. Keep up the great encouragement....I need it!

Stephen R. Lampl 01-23-2009 09:20 PM

[I][B]FRIDAY 090123

"Addendum" to today's WO......

New Year's Challenge:

Day 23 X 2 = 46 Burp-ups. [/B]Had to leave the globo to take my BFF (wife) to Physical Tyrrany, so did this one at home. No pull-up bar there........

[B]Day 23's Burp-ups (46) X 2 = Burpees (92). Total completed = 92!
[/B]Broke into groups of 12 X 1, 10 X 3, 20 X 1, and 15 X 2. Took about 20 minutes with rests.

I did 197 burpees today........that's just WRONG!

[/I]

Vanessa Sisson 01-23-2009 09:37 PM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;501175][I][B]FRIDAY 090123

New Year's Challenge:

Day 23 X 2 = 46 Burp-ups. [/B]Had to leave the globo to take my BFF (wife) to Physical Tyrrany, so did this one at home. No pull-up bar there........

[/B]Broke into groups of 12 X 1, 10 X 3, 20 X 1, and 15 X 2. Took about 20 minutes with rests.

[/I][/QUOTE]

I love it. Wife=BFF. :love:

Good LORD! 197 burpees. That is SICK!

Samantha Aurelio 01-23-2009 09:41 PM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;501175][I][B]FRIDAY 090123

New Year's Challenge:

[/I][/QUOTE]

:eek: 197!!!!!!?!

WOW.
Hiya! Good work :)

Stephen R. Lampl 01-23-2009 09:57 PM

[quote=Vanessa Sisson;501188]I love it. Wife=BFF. :love: [/quote]

Yeah......she's my sweetie. I am sooooooooo blessed!

[quote=Vanessa Sisson;501188]Good LORD! 197 burpees. That is SICK![/quote]

Yup.....I agree. But I don't think I'm quite as twisted as Chuck................yet. :D

Stephen R. Lampl 01-23-2009 09:58 PM

[quote=Samantha Aurelio;501192]:eek: 197!!!!!!?!

WOW.
Hiya! Good work :)[/quote]

Thank you, Samantha! Glad I was able to break them up....

Stephen R. Lampl 01-24-2009 05:25 PM

[I][B]SATURDAY 090124

[/B]Didn't sleep well last night and stomach doing flip-flops on me today.......so the workout was short....

[B]Warm-up:
Easy walk - 5:00 / .25. miles / 3.5 to 4.0 MPH.

WOD:

Weighted Pull-ups:
Warm-up:
70# lat pull-downs - 15 X 1
5# Dead Hang: 3 OH grip, 2 UH grip = 5 total
10# DHPU: Alternated grips - 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 = 10 total
15# DHPU: All UH grip - 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 = 10 total
5# DHPU: 1 (Fail 2), 1 (Fail 2), 1 = 3. [/B]Getting tired.

[B]New Year's Challenge - [/B](Did pull-ups today, didn't know if my stomach would tolerate burpups....)
[B]Kipping Pull-ups (BW only) - - Mixed grips
5, 5, 3 [/B](lost focus - too low, so repeated)[B] 3, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6, 4, 5 = 48.

[/B]Called it good for today...my heart really wasn't in it.....
[/I]

Ray McKinley 01-25-2009 12:56 PM

Ray's Sick Bay Commando WOD:

Light range of motion stretching on the hammy.

2 complete upper body circuits on the Bowflex performed quickly. I felt pretty good, so:

3 Rounds:
10L/10R 35 lb KB Presses
20 Push-Ups
35 Sit-Ups

1000 Meter Easy Does It Row: 6:15

Ice up the hammy.

I am ecstatic. No pain while rowing, and it felt great to get the blood flowing through the hammy. I usually do that row in under 5:00, but hey I'll take what I can get. It took me about an hour to roll through the whole program, but I had the heart rate up to 145 at times, so I was working it.

Also, I met with a massage therapist near me yesterday. This guy was awesome. He is 70 years old and competes competitively in Masters Track & Field in high hurdles, shotput, discus, and javelin. He was 6'1" and was built like he just walked off the set of "300". He spent an hour talking to me and educating me on how a lifetime of scar tissue and adhesions builds up and reduces muscle flexibility, which can lead to injury. He performed light work on the injured hammy, and immediately I was able to walk easier with less pain. He instructed me on self massage to aid the healing process. He told me to come back in about a week after the tenderness subsides, so that he can get to work to more aggressively try to break up some of the scar tissues and adhesions. He was confident that he could help me regain some flexibility and reduce the risk of injury. Charge for that visit: $0, on the house. He put the "sports medicine doc" to utter shame.

I am on the road back!

OOoooooRah! Get Some!!!

Ray

Stephen R. Lampl 01-25-2009 04:36 PM

[quote=Ray McKinley;502079]Ray's Sick Bay Commando WOD:

Light range of motion stretching on the hammy.

2 complete upper body circuits on the Bowflex performed quickly. I felt pretty good, so:

3 Rounds:
10L/10R 35 lb KB Presses
20 Push-Ups
35 Sit-Ups

1000 Meter Easy Does It Row: 6:15

Ice up the hammy.

I am ecstatic. No pain while rowing, and it felt great to get the blood flowing through the hammy. I usually do that row in under 5:00, but hey I'll take what I can get. It took me about an hour to roll through the whole program, but I had the heart rate up to 145 at times, so I was working it.

Also, I met with a massage therapist near me yesterday. This guy was awesome. He is 70 years old and competes competitively in Masters Track & Field in high hurdles, shotput, discus, and javelin. He was 6'1" and was built like he just walked off the set of "300". He spent an hour talking to me and educating me on how a lifetime of scar tissue and adhesions builds up and reduces muscle flexibility, which can lead to injury. He performed light work on the injured hammy, and immediately I was able to walk easier with less pain. He instructed me on self massage to aid the healing process. He told me to come back in about a week after the tenderness subsides, so that he can get to work to more aggressively try to break up some of the scar tissues and adhesions. He was confident that he could help me regain some flexibility and reduce the risk of injury. Charge for that visit: $0, on the house. He put the "sports medicine doc" to utter shame.

I am on the road back!

OOoooooRah! Get Some!!!

Ray[/quote]

Ray,

Fantastic news and great WOD for rehab and still getting in some metcon. You go, Dude!!

I'd give my eye teeth to visit your sports medicine massage therapist. Sounds like he is really well-versed, especially regarding the scar tissue. I've learned there's more to that issue than most people realize.

Take care - - outstanding news the you're doing so well.