CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Stephen R. Lampl 07-28-2009 01:06 PM

Re: Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log

[I][B]090726 - 090727
SUNDAY / MONDAY: REST DAYS

[/B][/I]Job hunting/interviews really has me worn out. . . . .haven't been sleeping well either.

[I][B]090728 TUESDAY
[/B][/I]
Back at it again. Really feeling the poor workout schedule (three times in two weeks +). Not complaining - - just fact, unfortunately.

[I][B]Warm-up:
[/B][/I]Stationary Cycling - 10:00 / L3 / 100 RPM / 2.6 miles
CF Redding WU: (30 push-ups, 20 X GHD situps and back ext).

[I][B]Training:
[/B][/I]Spent about five to ten minutes helping a teen with her pull-ups/chin ups. Tried teaching her a couple of kipping basics and use also of a parallel grip.

[I][B]Skill Work:[/B][/I]
Strict Wall Squats:
5 reps X 3. Slow, methodical movements. Posterior chain is really tight today - - tried a few OHS first, but could not keep from coming forward onto my toes.

[I][B]WOD: "Cindy"
[/B][/I]AMRAP in 20:00 of
5 pull-ups
10 push-ups
15 squats.

I did a 1/2 "Cindy" (AMRAP in 10:00)
[B]Total" 9 rounds [/B][I]
Happy with the result, but totally gassed. Some more CFE-related work is definitely in order!
[/I]

Tom Rolen 07-28-2009 09:08 PM

Hi Steve,

The job search is just like a CF workout, you just have to keep going and going until you get the job. I do not know much about your job situation, but I have been thru this twice and it just sucks. My only words of encouragement is to keep on until you land a job.

The other thing, is that the lack of sleep really affects the workouts as well....this I know as well.

Never surrender.

TR

Stephen R. Lampl 07-28-2009 09:30 PM

Tom,

Many thanks for the great encouragement. I totally agree with you on the physical effects of job searches - - I don't generally tire easily but I've been like a whipped pup lately.

I know I'll also feel better once I get my workouts dialed back in - - or at least do something regularly.

Take care!

Christin Street 07-29-2009 03:04 PM

Sending you positive vibes for the job search. But you've got to get in the gym and start doing more CF again...it helps EVERYTHING! Come on Steve!! :)

Gordon Cooke 07-29-2009 03:43 PM

Hi Steve,

New to the boards here, but wanted to wish you luck on the job hunt. Interviewing for jobs has to be about one of the suckiest, most stressful thing in the world but it's just one of those things that unfortunately we all have to do (sometimes several times) in our lives. Keep your workouts up. It will help with both the stress and sleep. I speak from experience, as I sleep and cope with stress much better with exercise and my diet dialed in. I had high blood pressure before I started to take my fitness serious a few years ago. When I had a stressful day, I would get terrible headaches and feel physically sick. I even took medication for a while for it. I still have stressful days, but the headaches have disappeared and I am able to deal with it more easily. The last time I had my blood pressure checked, the nurse told me it was optimal, not just normal. This was checked at my job site, so that alone should have spiked it, but it didn't. I guess what I'm saying is keep on rockin, and everything will come out fine.

Stephen R. Lampl 07-29-2009 09:12 PM

[quote=Christin Street;634222]Sending you positive vibes for the job search. But you've got to get in the gym and start doing more CF again...it helps EVERYTHING! Come on Steve!! :)[/quote]

Christin,

Thanks for the positive vibes - - I'll take all I can get. And I really appreciate the encouragement and support on the CF!

Sent you a PM.......

Stephen R. Lampl 07-29-2009 09:55 PM

[quote=Gordon Cooke;634250]Hi Steve,

New to the boards here, but wanted to wish you luck on the job hunt. Interviewing for jobs has to be about one of the suckiest, most stressful thing in the world but it's just one of those things that unfortunately we all have to do (sometimes several times) in our lives. Keep your workouts up. It will help with both the stress and sleep. I speak from experience, as I sleep and cope with stress much better with exercise and my diet dialed in. I had high blood pressure before I started to take my fitness serious a few years ago. When I had a stressful day, I would get terrible headaches and feel physically sick. I even took medication for a while for it. I still have stressful days, but the headaches have disappeared and I am able to deal with it more easily. The last time I had my blood pressure checked, the nurse told me it was optimal, not just normal. This was checked at my job site, so that alone should have spiked it, but it didn't. I guess what I'm saying is keep on rockin, and everything will come out fine.[/quote]

Gordon,

Thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement. I didn't realize how fried I'd gotten just through the stress of job hunting. Things are looking up though - - I have a couple of employment prospects and I've gotten back into the workout routine in the last couple of days - - just taking it slowly so I don't tweak anything else.

Take care!

Stephen R. Lampl 07-29-2009 10:12 PM

[I][B]090729 THURSDAY

Warm-up:
[/B][/I][B]Versa Climber [/B]10:00 / 72-75 SPM / Full ROM steps (10 -12").
[B]CF Redding WU [/B]slightly modified. GHDs / Back Ext. = 15 X 2. Push ups X 30.

[I][B]WOD[/B][/I]:
[I][B]Strength Work:[/B][/I] (Not timed)
[B]Full-ROM push ups. Hands on benches.
[/B]20 X 3. First two sets unbroken. Last set, 18 + 2.
[B]Full-ROM push ups, feet elevated, hands on benches.
[/B]10 X 4. First two sets unbroken. Set three 8 + 2, Last set, 6 + 4.
[B]Total push-ups = 100

[I]Skill Work:
[/I]Air Squats [/B](for strict form):
10, 15, 20; 15, 20 25.
[B]OHS (PVC) Box Squats[/B] also strict form (used low weight bench):
10 X 5.
[I]Finally got a couple of good reps where I felt my weight come off my toes![/I]

[I][B]Double-under practice: [/B][/I]About 15:00 total.
Used "single/DU" method. Got a DU on almost every attempt. Chained two together on 7 or 8 of the attempts. Chained [B][COLOR=Red]3[/COLOR][/B] together on one other attempt! I guess that makes it a [B][COLOR=Red]PR![/COLOR][/B]

Good day today - - energy is coming back and form on squats/OHS is getting there........s l o w l y.

Gordon Cooke 07-30-2009 03:04 AM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;634427]Gordon,

Thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement. I didn't realize how fried I'd gotten just through the stress of job hunting. Things are looking up though - - I have a couple of employment prospects and I've gotten back into the workout routine in the last couple of days - - just taking it slowly so I don't tweak anything else.

Take care![/QUOTE]

Glad to hear that things are looking up Steve. I will be watching your log for updates. Please let us know how you make out. It's amazing that when you take care of your health, that everything else seems to fall into place. That has been my experience anyway.

Stephen R. Lampl 07-30-2009 03:01 PM

[quote=Gordon Cooke;634463]Glad to hear that things are looking up Steve. I will be watching your log for updates. Please let us know how you make out. It's amazing that when you take care of your health, that everything else seems to fall into place. That has been my experience anyway.[/quote]

Gordon,

Thanks again for your encouragement. Doing a bit better with the workouts - - still working on getting the endurance back.