CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Stephen R. Lampl 05-26-2009 09:50 PM

Re: Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log

[quote=Justin McGinley;595734]Wow, it sounds like that cert was a great time. I really need to go to one when it is nearby. Tucker is the man.[/quote]

Yeah Justin, the cert was definitely a MUST for any CrossFitter not innately familiar with the gymnastic modality which is part of CF. While I didn't really do any organized workout today, I had a confidence and awareness just doing rudiments I've never felt before. I kinda feel like a real athlete!

And yes, you are right on...........Tucker [I][B]IS[/B][/I] the man!

Stephen R. Lampl 05-26-2009 10:05 PM

[quote=Jeff R Tucker;596194]SL,

Thanks for the very kind words of support. Mercy me, you did take good notes! I was very proud of you guys and your group. Very proud to have met you. Hang in there and progress with time and the strength will come.

You humble me sir, take care.

tucker[/quote]

Tucker.....

You are so welcome! Thanks about the notes - - your lecture was so easy to follow - - some college professors I've known could learn a thing or two from you....:D

It really was a real honor to work with Jim and John - - what great guys - - and so dedicated to the CF program!

I have to say also, that it was an honor to be a "student" of yours for two days. I loved the learning environment and the true "hands-on (pun intended) training we got. What's more, is that the manner in which you presented the training and had the segments "laid out, " really made it easy for me to identify my weaknesses. I've already put this new knowledge to work.......

Thanks again......Blessings to you and yours!

Steve

Stephen R. Lampl 05-26-2009 10:33 PM

[I][B]090526 TUESDAY

[/B]Think I had a bit of DOMS today......Shoulders were stiff and really fried strength-wise. I was still fighting for good range of motion (what little I do have) in my shoulders toward the end of my workout......AARGH!

[B]Warm-up:
Stationary Cycling: [/B][/I]10:00 / L3 / 100 RPM / 2.6 miles
[I][B]CF Redding Warm-up (modified)[/B][/I]: Added: trunk rotations 10 X each direction, Body Circles 10 X each dir, Hollow-rocks X 10, GHD situps to 25 reps, hip mobility movements (forward/back and lateral leg swings, knee lifts).
[I][B]Shoulder Flexibilty WUs: [/B][/I]30 sec shoulder "hyperextension" hold X 3 using Smith machine bar (good purpose for it!).

[I][B]No organized WOD / workout today - - did not feel physically up to it, so worked on some weaknesses identified at the gymnastics cert.

[/B][/I]1. Active shoulder engagement (shoulder presses), arms locked out.
45# bar: 10 reps X 3. Fully engage shoulders and press bar farther overhead to max. ROM.

2. Actice Lat work: Straight arm cable pull-downs (elbows locked) to body. 15 X 3 X 55#

3. Active Lat work: Standing press-downs to full arm extensions: 15 X 3 X 55#.

4. Active lat drills - pull-up bar: Engage lats and pull-up with lats through the short ROM

5.. Gymnastic Kip (hollow-body and straight legs, no hip engagement). Practiced swings and worked on ROM of shoulders. Approx. 15 - 20 minutes total, broken up.

[I][B]DU practice:[/B][/I] About 10:00 - 12:00 minutes total. Managed to chain two DUs together for the first time. Then did it again within about the next minute. That was all, but I consistently got every (single) DU I attempted.

Stephen R. Lampl 05-26-2009 11:46 PM

[I][B]090526 TUESDAY - - EVENING

Easy Row - - 5000m = 25:00[/B][/I]
Included 2:30 cool-down.
Kind of a training session with the following goals:
[U]Stroke Rate[/U] of 20 - 22 SPM (no higher than 22 SPM). Did not exceed that.
[U]Average split[/U] of 2:20 - 2:25 per 500m. Held that pretty consistently throughout.
Maintaining of proper form and full ROM throughout.

Really enjoyed this.....nice way to wind down a kinda blah day.....

Stephen R. Lampl 05-27-2009 05:01 PM

[I][B]090527 WEDNESDAY

Warm-up:
[/B][/I]Versa-Climber 10:00 / 70 - 75 SPM / 10 - 12" steps (full range)
CFRedding WU plus hip and shoulder flexibility/mobility movements
Hollow-rocks X 10

[I][B]WOD:[/B][/I] [I][B]Clean and Jerk Skill Work
[/B][/I][B]Warm-up:[/B]
PVC X 15
45# bar X 10
[B]Working weights - - not timed; worked for form.[/B]
65#; 5 x 5
95#; 5 X 2 + 10 push Jerks
This short workout still fried my already fried shoulders.......

[I][B]Body Composition analysis:[/B][/I]
Done with measurements and electronic calipers at my globo-gym:
23.9% bodyfat.

Stephen R. Lampl 05-28-2009 05:52 PM

[I][B]090528 THURSDAY

REST DAY[/B][/I]

Looking forward to getting back on my normal schedule and into a stable routine again beginning next week.

Keith Walker 05-28-2009 07:22 PM

STEVE! How's my favorite CA CFitter?!

That was quite a row....5,000m would make me cry. ha!

Good job on the C&J skill work.....I should be doing the same thing.

Take care!

Nancy Cohen 05-28-2009 09:29 PM

Hi Steve,

Sounds like the gymnastics cert was awesome and that you learned a ton. Thanks for posting your notes.

On another note, are you rowing every day? How's it going?

Stephen R. Lampl 05-29-2009 10:22 AM

Hi Nancy,

You're welcome on the notes. Wish I could have posted all of them in a short and succinct manner, but there was soooooooo much info.

As for rowing, I had intended that I'd do some every other day or so and start throwing in some longer ones (30 min or more) to build endurance. I've rowed - - like three out of the last four days. Last night, I think I may have overdone it.........(see my next post)...

BTW, how's the training work going?

Stephen R. Lampl 05-29-2009 10:29 AM

[I][B]090528 THURSDAY EVENING

Late rowing session....10:30 p.m.

[/B][/I][B]Row 15:00 minutes.
[/B]First 1500m rowed at approx. 2:15 pace / stroke rate of 22 SPM avg.
Next 500m rowed "flat out" in [B]1:44[/B] (second fastest pace ever for me).
Last 1218m rowed in 6:31 for cool down.
Total time: 15:00
Total Distance: 3218m

[I]I don't know [U]what[/U] I was thinking, but I don't think I'll do that again. Hard to get to sleep; legs fried this morning when I got up.......[/I]

Company visiting - - hope to get a WOD in later, time permitting.