CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Re-Tread(NWFS) (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=66089)

Travis Loest 03-28-2011 04:48 PM

Re-Tread(NWFS)

I'm fed up with the depression, the eating ****ty, the not having energy, not sleeping well even with 7-8 hour of it. Tired of looking & feeling fat.

Doing modified Army PT in the morning (have a broken foot)
Doing WODs on M-W-F if the Monday WOD is a rest day, go back to the previous 3 day cycle and execute that for the week. Been doing it for two weeks now, hope to keep it up and get back to where I was.

Morning PT
1 mile: jog 1/4, fast walk 1/4
return mile ran at 9:36
It was the first mile I've run since I've broken my foot in December. The doc says my foot is still broken but I refuse to have a screw put in. Three in that bone is enough.

Evening Crossfit
****ty warm up, didn't do all the squats, pull ups or dips because of the workout. back to doing full GHD situps though and that rocks. People look at you funny in the gym when you do them...**** 'em.
squats as Rx'ed
Pull ups 25/20/15
ring dips 15/10/5 (from L-sit position with feet on floor)
27:10

Carrying extra weight is a *****. Eating is getting better, not great but better. Pull-ups suck and dealing with a broken foot is a total pain in the ***.

Tamara Cohen 03-28-2011 05:49 PM

Re: Re-Tread(NWFS)

Good to have you back :).

Travis Loest 03-29-2011 05:03 PM

mispost

Travis Loest 03-29-2011 05:15 PM

Thanks, Tamara.

Today:
Run of the mill Army PT, switching over to the new PRT, I'm not even sure what the initials are off the top of my head. Silly stuff really but I think if done properly and vigorously, it will pan out in the end to be better than the push ups, sit ups, and a run, **** we've been doing for the last 17 years. Waiting for the "directions" for the new pt test.

Travis Loest 03-31-2011 03:24 PM

Wednesday workout got bumped to Thursday.

Morning PT: Slept in...oops

Crossfit:
Warm up 10-15 reps
ghd sit-ups
back extension
dips
pull-ups
squats
dislocates

workout
Thrusters 3-3-3-3-3-3-3

Paul 45-55-55-55-55-55-55
new to the workouts, learning the exercises

Travis 95-95-115-115-125-125-125
not new to the workouts, just been away for way too long
Travis

Travis Loest 04-01-2011 07:31 PM

Morning PT
Kettlebells while waiting for the company to get back from a run. Mad dash/drive to the emergency room for someone experiencing chest pains

CrossFit:
Postponed due to lack of time. Who knew silly **** could last so long. Hopefully will hit the gym tomorrow.

Travis Loest 04-04-2011 03:02 PM

Morning PT

The CSM jibba-jabbered at us for 15 minutes so I jogged to the gym, wedged myself under the rack and did overhead squats with a guy doing back squats. He looked at me like i was crazy and I looked at him like he should put more weight on the bar.

Crossfit

30 muscle ups for time (or 120 pull-ups & 120 dips)

90 pull-ups
90 dips

3x3 of each, it sucked, some of the dips were too the floor and popping up with my toes. I hate dips. My shoulder hates them too.

Travis Loest 04-05-2011 04:58 PM

Morning PT was cancelled due to possible tornado's. Rain was coming in sideways and the trailer was rocking quite a bit. No Crossfit today.

Travis Loest 04-06-2011 09:03 AM

Morning PT:
One of my squad leaders surprised me. He told me he was doing circuit training this is what we did...
any order, just get it done
30 pull-ups
50 box jumps
20 kb(1pd) overhead squats (each hand)
20 dumbell (25#) snatch each hand
15 wind sprints(sprint down, high step back)

Good Stuff!!!

Travis Loest 04-06-2011 03:56 PM

Afternoon CrossFit

5 rounds for time
400m run
5 back squats

Travis: 19:18 @ 165#

Paul: 15:05 @ 95#

I'm working on getting stronger, Paul is working on form. First "cardio" event with a heavy-ish lift component...it sucked...I forgot how bad.

Travis Loest 04-08-2011 08:41 PM

Morning PT
Climbing drill 1
Conditioning drill 1 & 2 x 2

CrossFit
Cancelled due to stupid amounts of paperwork and dealing with people *****ing about not getting paid. Shut up ****ers, be happy you have a job that will give you back pay.

Travis Loest 04-11-2011 04:50 PM

No morning PT, started school today, 2 hours late because I locked my keys in my truck...WTF?! No one seemed to care, I called the instructor and told him what was going on, he said, "ok, see you when you get out here."

CrossFit
craptastic warm up

workout
10 rounds for time
10 abmat butterfly sit-ups
25 meter sprint
15 kb swings (1 pd, all the way overhead)
25 meter sprint

12:08

really thought I was going to throw up, probably should have considering the junk I've been eating, it'd probably be healthier. Living in a hotel, trying to figure out how to eat well...oi! When I was done I alternated between the hottub and the pool, four minutes in one then 4 min in the other for 16 minutes, did stretching while I was in the hottub, just floated in the pool.

Travis Loest 04-13-2011 06:19 PM

no morning PT, took two tests instead. 95% and 90%.

Afternoon
mediocre warm up:
two rounds
10 GHD sit-ups
10 GHD back extensions
10 dips
10 squats

workout
Power Snatch to 3x OHS
95#-95#-100#-105#-115#115#-115#

was able to string the first 5 dips on each set of the warm up together, going all the way down until my shoulders are at thumb level. I'm not losing any weight, just getting stronger, I couldn't do 2 in a row three weeks ago.

Wanted to do full Oly Snatch but just couldn't get the balance of the catch right. Too many people made me self conscious. My last 1RM for snatch was 165, I've got a ways to go to get back there. **** being discouraged, I'm ****ed of that I'm not as strong as I use to be!

Travis Loest 04-17-2011 03:57 PM

I scaled to 95#/10 pull ups. Also, I completely forgot to do the pull-ups on the first two sets

3:23
3:36
4:33
5:12
5:47

most rounds I did each exercise unbroken, but had to set down the weight between exercises. The cleans wore out my lungs, the front squats blew out my forearms (guess I'm not use to that level of flexibility) and the jerks were pretty good.

Travis Loest 04-18-2011 07:06 PM

Addictions suck.

Travis Loest 04-18-2011 08:00 PM

Spending a lot of time in thought/research on ways a man can unmake/remake himself, evaluating my life, my choices, my destructive habits. I've come to the conclusion that I am horribly critical of myself and of others.

I've realized that looking at it as a whole picture is so overwhelming as to be insurmountable.(big word for the day) I know that if I can fix one thing and stick with that until the bad habit is rewritten with a good habit that I can make changes that will last. But where to start? How 'bout with a list?

Maybe it'll be a constant reminder to get my *** in gear and fix my life, not that it's all bad, mind you. I have a job, and in this economy that's a pretty good thing. I have a wife and daughter that love me. I have the ability to provide for my family. But who wants to work on that?! Here's the crap that needs to be cleaned out of my life.

Cigarettes, a horrible habit. My dad quit when the doctor asked my mother how long she had been smoking...she never smoked a day in her life. He became an unbearable ***, then he quit drinking (which he did fairly heavily) and became someone I didn't want to be around. I quit for three years, but started back up for no apparent reason due to a social slip/personal faux pas. I know what it's doing to me, I can see the difference in my performance and everything in my life.

Soda, might as well mainline chemicals straight into my veins. There's really nothing redeemable about soda. It's bad for me, it taste soooooo good. I've got so much of a sweet tooth that I can eat cake frosting out of the container. Soda is an easy way to get a sugar fix. Not drinking the sweet poison makes me dislike myself almost as much as when I try to quit smoking.

Self destructive habits. I feel like I've been at the "grind" for so long that there doesn't seem to be a point to it. I'm not as dedicated to "the cause" as I use to be, I have a hard time sticking to new things. One week, not a problem; two weeks, sure why not; three weeks, what was I doing again?? I've gotten to the point where I do what I need to to get by with a little extra on top so "they" can't say I'm not putting out any effort. Really need to stop doing that. It's not fair to me and not fair to the people I work with. They deserve better.

Physical Fitness. I need to recheck my azimuth on this. My job requires me to do it, and then places "rules" on how I'm allowed to go about it. I think I'm just frustrated with the institutionalized mentality.

Maybe I just need to stop being a *****.

Travis Loest 04-20-2011 01:44 PM

warm up
3x 10 reps each
back extension
ghd sit up
overhead squat
dislocates
samson stretch dips

snatch 5x45 x 2; 5x55

workout
Snatch 1-1-1-1-1-1-1
1. 95#
2. 105#
3. 115#(f/p-snatch) 115# good
4. 125#(f) 115#(f) 115# good
5. 115#
6. 115#(f) 115# good
7. 115#

my snatch is smaller than it use to be...

Travis Loest 04-24-2011 08:52 AM

5 rounds
BW Bench Press + Max # Pull-ups

BW bench press (that's not going to happen)
I set the bar at 165#, fairly light v. my body weight but if I tried my body weight I'd have to have Ms. Cleo publish this note. I don't bench that much so with a little "concentration" on it, I'd imagine I could get to BW fairly quick, and if I can start shedding #'s of fat they'll meet somewhere in the middle.

165#x5 all rounds

pull ups 10-7-6-6-5

the first set of pull-ups really surprised me. I didn't expect to bang out 10 in a row, definitely pleased with that, three weeks ago I couldn't string 4 together. Grip seems to be a major issue, time to pull out the CoC and get to work on that. The other issue was space. The bar was a bit low, I could reach it from the ground flat footed, so it affected the way I kipped.

Travis Loest 04-25-2011 03:53 AM

I attempted to do the main sight WOD but about half of the way through each set I felt like I was going to throw up, seeing as how I just too my vitamins and misc. **** I didn't want to waste it. I feel like a train wreck.

Travis Loest 04-25-2011 02:02 PM

500m anyway possible (swim)
50m side stroke alternate at flip
50m forward crawl
50m forward crawl
50m freestyle
50m forward crawl
50m forward crawl
50m freestyle

I was most definitely feeling the push ups from this morning. I'm curious to see what swimming does to the broken foot. I didn't notice "pain" but definitely experienced some discomfort. Took me about 19 minutes, forgot to time the first 50m, but the second one took me two minutes. Not going full blast, I don't think I would have lasted the entire 500 if I took off. Had to take breaks between 50m, usually about 30 seconds or so. I haven't swam in over 2 years. Hell, the last time was when I was on recruiting and was at Ft. Benning for a school.

Shane Atkinson 04-25-2011 02:20 PM

Hoping in here to see where this goes. So far you're looking good. Hope that foot continues to heal right. Best of luck with those Army docs.

Travis Loest 04-26-2011 03:00 PM

Hey Shane, thanks for watching, I've already had surgery on that foot before, that particular bone had 3 screws in the front side of it already, now they want to put one in the back...FML

Deadlift 1-1-1-1-1-1-1

warmed up with
95#x5, 135#x5, 185#x5, 225#x3

working sets
275#-315#(pr)-325#(pr)-345#(pr)-365#(f)-345#(just to end on a good note)

I got a little greedy with the 365. I may have been able to pull 355#, but 365# only moved about and inch or two off the ground. The last time I pulled anything like this was when I was in Iraq 05-06, I was excited this last tour with 305# and I blew right past it. Guess how much I've been deadlifting...nada, null, zip, and zilch. I haven't deadlifted seriously in over 6 months. Hell I haven't even worked out seriously until I started CrossFit back up a couple weeks/month and a half ago!!

Travis Loest 04-26-2011 03:44 PM

Also noticed some pain in my right elbow while I was doing pull-ups, didn't bother me on dips, just the pull-ups. Strange that it's only on one elbow...or maybe not...:yikes:

Travis Loest 04-28-2011 06:13 PM

Took two rest days, yesterday was on purpose. Today, I ended up helping a friend pack up a good portion of his house. He was burglarized on Easter Sunday then again on Tuesday.

Shane Atkinson 05-02-2011 10:23 AM

Good looking deads. Funny how we are always finding minor aches and pains. Is the pain on the inside or outside of the elbow?

Travis Loest 05-02-2011 07:25 PM

inside, haven't seemed to notice it on pull ups, just chin ups, I'm taking a break from pull-ups and chin ups for a bit, just shifted back up to Stewart and will begin working out outside of my trailer, it will be interesting to see what I come up with, I've got a 4 day weekend to see what kind of crap I can make on the cheep and keep working out here, doing it at the gym on base is just way too much of a pain in the arse.

Shane Atkinson 05-05-2011 05:37 AM

Man are you telling the truth about doing WODs on base. One reason I built a gym in my basement, to bad I have to pack it up and store it for the 3 years Ill be in Germany.

With that inside pain only on chin ups it sounds like it's just the tendon there with a big name I can not spell. I use to have that hurt and tighten when I was a bicep curl type guy. Doubt it is anything serious, but hope it calms down for you soon.

Tires, Parrallets, Sledge Hammers, etc. You can get all that cheap.

Also to add difficulty to your runs, get an old Alice Pack frame with waistbelt and a normal car tire no rim. Place a U-Bolt into the tire and a D-Ring to the U-Bolt and your ruck frame, then End-Line Bow-Line a piece of rope on both ends (Long enough to keep the tire off your heels) and snap the loops into the D-Rings.

Now you have a nice resistance chest rig for cheap / free. Do a few repeats, hill sprints, or 1-3 mile runs and tell me it is useless.

Best of luck to ya.

Travis Loest 05-05-2011 02:38 PM

Seems as the older I get the more I fall apart. I broke my foot back in November and it has not healed. I think the doctor called it a "fibrous non-union" I've got a consult to discuss putting a pin/screw in it. I don't have a problem "lifting" weights, it's just moving around with them that does serious damage. I can deadlift & snatch & clean & jerk, but I tried walking to the motorpool (approx. 400m) with a 35# ruck on and wanted to cry. It felt like the bone was shifting every time I put my foot down.

Travis Loest 05-07-2011 08:54 PM

Had an organizational day on Thursday, played volleyball, don't know how but two people ended up landing on my bad foot, technically three if you count me. Then for some dumb-*** reason I let the CO talk me into doing a litter carry run. Not such a great idea. I've been trying to take it easy, trying to let the foot heal, trying to let the pain in my elbow go away. I can't even pick up a laundry bag without my elbow hurting...

Travis Loest 05-09-2011 06:14 PM

Doc put me in a cam walker or post op shoe for the next 6-8 weeks and told me to stop doing ****. If I wanted to work out I had to do it sitting down.:mad:
wonder if the rower counts. Suppose to be getting a "bone growth stimulator" next week sometime. Some how I feel this is snake oil.

Travis Loest 05-27-2011 04:04 PM

Doc told me to not put any weight on the foot other than to walk around. I was going crazy so I went back to the gym but am doing a random body building routine, trying to work on some of my upper body weaknesses.

Seated Row 3x6
90#
Bicep Curl 3x6
80#
Back Extensions
3x15
Cable Hammer Curl 3x6
25#
Cable Upright Row 3x6
42.5#
Single Arm Lat Pull-Downs 3x6
50#

Need to get my arms and back stronger, will be throwing in pull-ups and dips as well. Doc doesn't even want me doing push-ups because of the pressure on the foot so I can't even do those. Need to finish my parallettes, can start working on L-sits and what not at the house. I hate being broken.

Travis Loest 05-29-2011 10:27 AM

28 May 2011

Incline Dumbbell Press
3x6@50#
Close Grip Push Down
3x10@130#
Narrow Grip Bench
1x6@135#,2x6@155#
Front Shoulder Raise
3x10@20#
Decline Bench
3x6@185#

Travis Loest 08-10-2011 10:32 AM

5 rounds for time
250m row
10 push ups (hands shoulder width)

9:27

Kept all sets of rowing under 1 minute, last set of push ups was broken, o2 is a serious problem

16kg turkish get ups
5 to each side