CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Testimonials (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   My one year crossfit and paleo results (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=49154)

Ryan Polak 07-23-2009 12:30 PM

My one year crossfit and paleo results

3 Attachment(s)
I've been dabbling with crossfit for a couple of years now, but last year when my wife got pregnant I decided that I would lose a pound for everyone that she gained. Like many, I used to be in great shape, but for whatever BS excuse I let myself slip. The birth of our first child was the motivation that I needed. I decided that I would do this years firefighter calendar with him. So I finally committed to a diet long term, and chose the Paleo diet as it seemed to make the most sense, and seemed to be the easiest. I had never felt so good. After about 6 months I went to a zone diet to improve my workouts, which helped tremendously. And then for the last few months back on Paleo without any fruits. Here are the before and after. The first one is last August. The pictures for the calendar were taken in June of this year.

You can see all the calendar pics here: http://www.christinerankelphotography.blogspot.com/YOU MUST ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

Jenny Butler 07-23-2009 12:43 PM

Re: My one year crossfit and paleo results

Wow! Holy crap! That's awesome!

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III 07-23-2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenny Butler (Post 630483)
Wow! Holy crap! That's awesome!

My sentiments exactly. Nice work over the past year man!

Chris Santilllo 07-23-2009 01:42 PM

Dude.... I need to go on the paleo or zone. My god!!

Sydney Everhart 07-23-2009 01:57 PM

Jiminey Cricket!! Stunning results. :notworth:

Your dedication to intensity and consistency are obvious. Wow.

Kara Govro 07-23-2009 02:21 PM

Oh my god! You needed to mark those NSF!! But seriously, that is amazing and I am very impressed.

AND: I am totally cute overloaded with the baby in the fireman pants!!

Matt Hitt 07-23-2009 04:16 PM

:notworth:

I hope I've made half that much progress when my 1-year CrossFitaversary comes around. Nice job.

Eugene Goldashkin 07-23-2009 06:04 PM

wow those are some amazing results

Kat Mcguire 07-23-2009 06:56 PM

That's amazing.
Paleo rocks!

Ryan Polak 07-23-2009 08:47 PM

I should maybe add a few things to this. I completely sold out with crossfit for this year. I changed my home gym at home to be a crossfit gym. I would typically skip every second rest day, and I stuck mostly to metcon style workouts. I hit a lot of milestones along the way, ie first muscle up. The most incredible part of it was that my joint pain almost completely disappeared. Too many years of isolation movements wrecked a few of my joints, and they don't really bother me. Last summer I had an MRI that revealed minor tears in both my left knee and right shoulder. They decided not to do surgery, and now it's not even an issue. I don't know if it's the training or the diet, but it was probably both that helped to heal me up.

The diet is what amazed me the most. Typically in the past I would diet for 3 months counting down all the days, and having a lot of difficulty keeping with it. This diet completely changed my eating habits. Even after a year I still eat paleo. Many people warn about the dangers of low carb, and high fat. Especially as a firefighter, everyone told me that I would have no energy. But fairly quickly, I had more energy on this diet than I ever had before. Even when I went ketogenic towards the end I felt great and was clear of mind. I think everyone has different glycogen sensitivity levels, and mine is high.

All said and done I lost 40 lbs in about 10 months. I went from 235 to 195. I don't believe in preaching your own beliefs in diet and training, especially after getting such great results from such an unorthodox combination (at least according to many current trains of thought), and that there are many paths to fitness. But this one is very effective. The important part I learned this time is to train and eat to be healthy. To steal a line from Twight "appearance is a consequence of fitness".