CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39289)

Robert Grande 04-28-2009 07:42 PM

Re: Over 50 CrossFitters Sign In

I took 2 days off for various reasons, so at the very least I was well rested.

WOD: Should Press:
105, 115, 125, 135, 145(pr), 140 (f), 135

I believe that I've gained 25pds on my press in 4 months. Not bad for an old man.

[B]Stephen[/B],

Nice job on the pr and and way to go on the rest of your workout.

Charles Pyke 04-28-2009 08:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Scott,

Couldn't figure out how to PM the Iron Woody band pics. So here you go!

Picture 1 - Rock climbing webbing tied with a water knot into a loop.

Pictures 2 thru 4 - Tying the prussic. Just keep looping through the center.

Pictures 5 & 6 - Medium (green) Iron Woody band clipped onto prussic loop with carabiner. I have carabiners on the other two bands so I can switch them out quickly.

Pictures 7 & 8 - Finished views. Note I use a kitchen step stool to get in and out of the bands. I put both feet in to do pull ups. I have found that the heavier the band, the more difficult it is to kip. So learning to kip may have to wait until you get to the light band.

Pictures 9 & 10 - Alternate method to put band on the bar. You have to work the slack through a bit at a time to get the knot tight. I donít like this method because it places more stress on the band.

Pictures continued in next post. Can only upload five per post.

Charles Pyke 04-28-2009 08:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Part 2 Pictures

Terry Dickman 04-28-2009 09:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Wow...can't believe I have to read through 3 or 4 pages every night to catch up. Nice work by everyone.

Steve...way to go on the SPs PR :highfive:

Charlie...same thing on tying your PR :highfive:

Scott R...sounds like the injuries suck, man I hate that, wish you luck on getting through it all.

[B]Tuesday 090428[/B]
Shoulder Press 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps
155 (f)
175 (f)

Did this work out home, my 5 and 2.5 lb plates are at the affiliate. So no choice but to try 175, PR is 160. Forgot to take a deep breath and hold it on the 155 fail, man does that really make a difference.

Worked on muscle-ups after, can do 5 or so in a row with a little hop from feet on the ground position. Tried a few dead hang but just can't get through the transition.

Tomorrow I am competing in the CA Senior games qualifier. Signed up for the 50m dash, 100m dash, shot put and pole vault. They make you bring your own pole so if I can't borrow one I will be scratching that event, besides haven't done that since 1974...not sure if I want to try it. One of the competitors age 54 runs a 6.7 in the 50m...hmmm... I will be happy with anything under 7.5

My wife got out the scrap book to psych me up or maybe psych me out :)
Wow ..this is interesting, just noticed on the clipping, the guy who took the picture went to high school with me, he was on the year book staff, always walking around with his camera. He ended up winning the Pulitzer Prize in 1987, great photographer (WFS) [url]http://www.kimkom.com/bio.html[/url]

Stephen R. Lampl 04-28-2009 11:11 PM

[quote=Robert Grande;577144]I took 2 days off for various reasons, so at the very least I was well rested.

WOD: Should Press:
105, 115, 125, 135, 145(pr), 140 (f), 135

I believe that I've gained 25pds on my press in 4 months. Not bad for an old man.[/quote]

Great work, Robert! That's an awesome gain for SPs! Peppers are in order...:pepper::pepper::pepper:.

Stephen R. Lampl 04-28-2009 11:19 PM

Terry,

Nice work on your SPs also! You've gotta be close to a PR yourself on those.

My wife and I were just talking about holding one's breath on our lifts - - she thought it was still considered unsafe to do so, yet it really reinforces our core strength for the lifts.

Best of luck for this weekend. You'll tear it up, I'm betting. BTW, I know you mentioned previously somewhere, but where did you get your rings?

Isn't it simply amazing with whom we associated years ago? Take care!

John Scott Rezendes 04-29-2009 07:08 AM

Charlie! You rock. The pictures are just what the doctor ordered. We'll have her knocking out dead hangs in no time...and I like how you assume I'll know how to tie the knots...waterknot, prussic...harkins back to my old Ranger battalion days. Thanks again.

Terry, Good luck at the games. Represent!

Charles Pyke 04-29-2009 08:01 AM

Scott,

Figured you knew how to tie those knots. Harkens back to when a younger me used to do a little rock and mounain climbing. Actually, have toyed with the idea of climbing Grand Teton some time. Love those mountains!

Terry Dickman 04-29-2009 08:05 AM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;577261]BTW, I know you mentioned previously somewhere, but where did you get your rings?[/QUOTE]

WFS [url]http://www.roguefitness.com/store/rogue_rings.php[/url]

I really like them, they are metal not plastic, very nice feel. Same finish as our pull-up system. Nick just ordered a set too, he has plastic ones at the box. He likes the Rogue better too.

Mark Ervi 04-29-2009 08:21 AM

Okay, so now I see everyone can outlift me at SP. But I will keep on working to gain strength.

I was not surprised to learn that Terry had the athleticism to be a pole vaulter in high school. I had the athleticism to be on the yearbook staff. It is amazing that Terry's Sophomore Record vault is now a height commonly accomplished by high school girls at State meets. Not trying to minimize your accomplishment Terry, just celebrating how the ladies and coaching have improved over the last 30 years.

Terry, Good luck at the Senior Games.

This coming Saturday I will be attending the Crossfit Games Qualifier at GSX in Fort Worth. I will not be competing, but will be cheering on Breck Berry, my cousin. I probably will not get to post anything until Sunday, but the main site may get up some info after Saturday's WODs. So, look for Breck's name near the top. He was 5th Nationally in '07 and 15th Nationally in '08.

Today I did
CFWUx3 w/assisted dips & pull-ups
Ran 6 mins. On treadmill

Did 3 rounds 21-15-9 of 60lb. full squat snatch and pull-ups
My time: 31:51
I know the snatch weight is feather-like. My PR is only 80 in the snatch. Remember I can't drop weights where I workout, so I have to make every lift. The light weight really allows me to focus on technique, and I have to do that or the lift is not going to happen. I reset on every snatch. I was my only judge, but I thought that I did a lot of nice-looking lifts today. I look forward to trying more weight in the future now that I added some confidence about my technique today.

My last comment. I have really felt challenged to get out of bed and get to the gym this week. My body has been saying:

"Don't go to the gym today. You are too old. You need to back off. Everything hurts and is sore because you are old. You can't keep this up. You need to go back to doing easy workouts. Just do some jogging and light weights. Take it easy. You are really aging and cannot be expected to keep this up."

I have answered:
"#@&*~ that! Get up and go!"