CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Running a CrossFit Facility (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Drop in Fee (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=65975)

Tricia Magrini 03-23-2011 09:25 AM

Drop in Fee

Curious what you charge at your box. I msg'd a trainer at a box I will be visiting on vacay soon....let him know I was a L1 trainer and would be in town and he wants $25 for one visit. That seems insane to me! Curious what you all charge.

Krista Fudge 03-23-2011 09:58 AM

Re: Drop in Fee

We charge $15 but waive the fee if they buy a shirt. This only applies if someone knows CrossFit. If the trainers are having to correct your form and take time away from the regular clients, I can see where $25 would be reasonable.

Tricia Magrini 03-23-2011 10:16 AM

[QUOTE=Krista Debrick;917779]We charge $15 but waive the fee if they buy a shirt. This only applies if someone knows CrossFit. If the trainers are having to correct your form and take time away from the regular clients, I can see where $25 would be reasonable.[/QUOTE]

I agree if they need to be doing a lot of coaching, but this isn't the case. Ah well.....bodyweight beach WOD it is!

Chris Walls 03-23-2011 10:19 AM

I offered a free drop in if they brought me a T-shirt from their local affiliate where they trained for a trade with one of mine. If they bought one of my shirts it came with a drop-in, or it was just straight $20.

Might seem high but everyone gets coaching. I don't care who you are or how experienced, I'm not going to sit back and not coach you. If all you want is the use of equipment I'm sure some globos can hook you up for a lower drop-in.

Affiliate owners never got charged, but we would typically do a t-shirt exchange of some kind anyway.

Chris Walls 03-23-2011 10:19 AM

[QUOTE=Tricia Magrini;917793]I agree if they need to be doing a lot of coaching, but this isn't the case. Ah well.....bodyweight beach WOD it is![/QUOTE]

Are they the only affiliate in town?

Brian Strump 03-23-2011 10:46 AM

We charge $15, or $45 for the week. If they call in advance, I'd ask them to bring me their affiliate shirt instead of $15.
If they buy a shirt we waive the $15.

We don't charge affiliate owners.

Jeff Stanek 03-23-2011 11:14 AM

I think its completely up to the owner. If you want to take the risk of random-Joe from off the street to possibly hurt himself because he's tossed into a class, then that's up to you.

However, I've dropped-in to at least 8 different gyms around the country, and every one has been welcoming (I love that part about CF). I've always offered to buy a t-shirt regardless of the fee.

Price to play if you're on the move.

Chris Walls 03-23-2011 12:11 PM

Everyone I had drop in were from out of town affiliates. Locals were not allowed to drop in for a class, they had to do the intro first, etc...

The out of towners all knew exactly where they were in terms of level. They knew what they could and couldn't do, they knew what they were supposed to work on. It didn't take long to assess them during the warm-up.

Brian Strump 03-23-2011 12:36 PM

We do not allow drop-ins if they are unfamiliar with CF and just want to "check it out".

Aushion Chatman 03-23-2011 01:25 PM

At Crossfit San Diego, first drop-in for any visitor is free, ea additional class is $15/class.

Nearly everyone that has dropped in on our class did so by e-mailing or calling us first and letting us know what affiliate they train at and how long they've been crossfitting.

We've had a few people just show up, but those folks typically come 30-45 minutes before the next class time starts and we have a feeling out process and discuss the WOD and whether they are familiar with the movements...

I think I've had maybe one person come unannounced right before a class started that I had to turn away or tell to wait for the next class.