CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Stephen R. Lampl 04-15-2010 01:26 PM

Re: Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log

[I][B]100415 THURSDAY
[/B][/I]
[I][B]Warm-up:
[/B][/I]500m row (sub for 400m run) 1:48
25 DROM
20 SPT
5 X 2 Body Circles
15 GHD sit-ups
10 Pull-ups
10 Ring Dips (4, 4, 2)
DU practice - - [I][B]Chained 10 together---PR!
[/B][/I]25 squats

[I][B]WOD:[/B][/I] [I][B]Skill Work and Hamstring Rehab
[/B]CF Sonora did "McGhee" today........

[B]Back Squats (Empty bar - 45#)
[/B][/I]W/U: 5 reps, 2 sets
Working:
15 X 4

[I][B]Squat Cleans
[/B][/I]W/U: 45# X 2, 2, 2, 2, 2.
Working:
75# X 5 X 5

[I]Took a lot of effort (mental) to stay off my toes/balls of my feet and on the cleans, to keep the weight close in to my body. I probably hit 60 - 75% of the lifts on form....still need to work on being consistent.

[COLOR=Blue][B]Got my 1st jumping/assist (rings just above shoulder height) muscle up!!!
:pepper::pepper::pepper:[/B]
[/COLOR][/I]

Marianne Urbanski 04-15-2010 01:58 PM

Nice work, Steve!!! whooo hooo!!:highfive:

Stephen R. Lampl 04-15-2010 03:10 PM

Thanks, Marianne!!!!

Stephen R. Lampl 04-16-2010 09:28 PM

[I][B]100416 FRIDAY

[/B][B]Warm-up:
[/B][/I]250m row[I][B], then
[/B][/I]2 X each of
20 DROM
15 Hip Extensions
15 GHD Sit-ups
10 Pull-ups
10 Ring Dips

[I][B]WOD: [/B]Took it a bit easy today......did a couple of 250m rows at about 80% - - pace was about 1:36 - 1:40 / 500m - - only slight protest from my hamstring [/I]. . . .
[I][B]
Coaching session with daughter (her second ever CF workout)![/B][/I]
Rowing fundamentals....[I]then[/I]
250m x 4.
Her first row was at a 3:34 pace / 500m. With a couple of corrections, she managed to drop her pace to 2:14 / 500m (hit 2:07 once) on her last 250!

[I]Absolutely [B]AWESOME[/B] for never having rowed before.....[/I]
Dad is definitely proud!!!

Marianne Urbanski 04-17-2010 07:28 AM

[quote=Stephen R. Lampl;770261][I][B]100416 FRIDAY

[/B][B]Warm-up:
[/B][/I]250m row[I][B], then
[/B][/I]2 X each of
20 DROM
15 Hip Extensions
15 GHD Sit-ups
10 Pull-ups
10 Ring Dips

[I][B]WOD: [/B]Took it a bit easy today......did a couple of 250m rows at about 80% - - pace was about 1:36 - 1:40 / 500m - - only slight protest from my hamstring [/I]. . . .
[I][B]
Coaching session with daughter (her second ever CF workout)![/B][/I]
Rowing fundamentals....[I]then[/I]
250m x 4.
Her first row was at a 3:34 pace / 500m. With a couple of corrections, she managed to drop her pace to 2:14 / 500m (hit 2:07 once) on her last 250!

[I]Absolutely [B]AWESOME[/B] for never having rowed before.....[/I]
Dad is definitely proud!!![/quote]

Congrats to you, Steve, and your daughter!!! I love it!!! :highfive:

Stephen R. Lampl 04-17-2010 12:20 PM

Thank you, Marianne! Jen's going to give CF a real go once she can get her left knee rehabbed.....she was in a car accident toward the end of last year and needs some more physical therapy.

[I][B]100417 SATURDAY

Warm-up:
[/B][/I]800m run (subbed 1/2 mile walk at 4 MPH, then alternating 100m jog/walk 100m back to the box).
20 DROM
20 Double unders (probably did about 50 in groups of 2, 3, or 4. These are finally coming!
20 Squat Therapy

[I][B]Skill Work: [/B][/I][B]Power Snatch
[/B][I]Assisted in showing some new people a few of the fundamentals, then...
[/I]PVC
45# bar
65#
95#
[I]I find I'm still not dropping down under the bar (into a full squat) enough - - this gets worse with the more weight I add, so the 95# snatches were pretty rough on form.

[B]WOD: Hoover Ball w/ 12# medicine ball
[/B]About 11 of us playing.....fun until one of the seams in the med ball split and the stuffing started coming out. No problem......DUCT TAPE FIXES ALL! Med ball probably at 10# now, but still lots of fun and laughs!
[/I]

Benjamin R. Greene 04-18-2010 09:36 PM

Hey, Steve, I just wanted you to know I find your log very inspiring. It's one thing to read the logs of 21 year old super-athletes who have no distractions, injuries, or other issues to slow them down, it's entirely another to read the log of someone I can identify with. Congratulations on all your amazing progress, and keep up the good work!

:highfive:

J 04-18-2010 11:27 PM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;769033][I][B]100414 WEDNESDAY

[/B][/I]Crazy work schedule, etc. Finally got in another workout.

[I][B]Warm-up:

[/B][/I]1.5 mile walk/run (untimed, but got A LOT faster as I warmed up....)

[I][B]WOD: [/B][/I]Tabata Sprints. Total distance not measured.

[I]The sprints were strong and felt good until the last (eighth) one when I pulled my left hamstring again. [B]Gotta find a way to avoid these injuries[/B].....[/I][/QUOTE]
I recommend looking up DeFranco's Agile Eight and Simple Six. That's a good start.

Doing 100% effort sprints without plenty of mobilization work is just asking for it. I mean... I'm 23 (not 58) and I wouldn't think about doing tabata sprints without spending at least 5-10 minutes on dynamic range of motion stuff. (I like my awesome hamstrings too much.)

Stephen R. Lampl 04-19-2010 01:11 AM

Ben,

Many thanks for stopping by my log and for the kind words. I get inspired by seeing people such as yourself find and try out CrossFit and then watch their lives (and health) change for the better. It is hard work, but it is so rewarding.

Stephen R. Lampl 04-19-2010 01:13 AM

[quote=Júlíus Magnússon;771012]I recommend looking up DeFranco's Agile Eight and Simple Six. That's a good start.

Doing 100% effort sprints without plenty of mobilization work is just asking for it. I mean... I'm 23 (not 58) and I wouldn't think about doing tabata sprints without spending at least 5-10 minutes on dynamic range of motion stuff. (I like my awesome hamstrings too much.)[/quote]

Julius,

Your post is right-on! I often think I am warmed up enough and then come to regret not having done more. I will look up the references you suggest. I am also concentrating on lots of ROM stuff and flexibility work during/after warm-ups to ensure I don't break more stuff on my body. It creaks and groans enough anyway at this point....:D.