CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Stephen R. Lampl 08-19-2009 12:22 AM

Re: Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log

Well.....After watching Dr. Barry Sears' videos from the CrossFit Journal (August 8, 2009) - (w/f/s) [URL]http://journal.crossfit.com/nutrition/[/URL], I am now convinced I need to stop making excuses about or for my trashy eating and eat cleanly.

I have also decided that I need to revisit my goals and restructure my programming to allow for increased/sustained intensity during my workouts without the threat of injury. This means in some cases, allowing for more time (perhaps weeks instead of days) to increase my running speeds for intervals, raising weight amounts used in workouts over a greater period of time (or perhaps going up in smaller increments), and trying to make a better evaluation of my performance versus physical stresses I am placing on my old bod.

I love CrossFit and plan on keeping it up for the rest of my life..........

Gordon Cooke 08-19-2009 02:20 AM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;647077]Well.....After watching Dr. Barry Sears' videos from the CrossFit Journal (August 8, 2009) - (w/f/s) [URL]http://journal.crossfit.com/nutrition/[/URL], I am now convinced I need to stop making excuses about or for my trashy eating and eat cleanly.

I have also decided that I need to revisit my goals and restructure my programming to allow for increased/sustained intensity during my workouts without the threat of injury. This means in some cases, allowing for more time (perhaps weeks instead of days) to increase my running speeds for intervals, raising weight amounts used in workouts over a greater period of time (or perhaps going up in smaller increments), and trying to make a better evaluation of my performance versus physical stresses I am placing on my old bod.

I love CrossFit and plan on keeping it up for the rest of my life..........[/QUOTE]

Good for you, Steve. I eat mostly Paleo and have noticed a big difference in energy and recovery. I also seem to be hitting more PRs now, so diet definately makes a difference. Now if I could get my sleep nailed down, I'd be all set.

Stephen R. Lampl 08-19-2009 07:06 PM

[quote=Gordon Cooke;647096]Good for you, Steve. I eat mostly Paleo and have noticed a big difference in energy and recovery. I also seem to be hitting more PRs now, so diet definately makes a difference. Now if I could get my sleep nailed down, I'd be all set.[/quote]

Gordon,

Thank you for your encouragement and for relating your experiences. Prayers up for you for more sleep......

Stephen R. Lampl 08-19-2009 07:29 PM

[I][B]090819 WEDNESDAY

[/B]Must have had a short-lived bug yesterday. Woke up with a TON of energy - - wife is really run down today.

[B]A.M. Workout[/B]

[B]Warm-up:
[/B][/I][B]Walking / Interval Runs.
[/B]Walked 5:00 minutes to 4.0 MPH, Then
Run 1:00 at 5.5 MPH, Walk 1:00 at 4.0 MPH
Run 1:00 at 6.0 MPH, Walk 1:00 at 4.0 MPH
Run 1:00 at 6.5 MPH, Walk 1:00 at 4.0 MPH
Run 1:00 at 7.0 MPH, Walk 1:00 at 4.0 MPH
Run 1:00 at 7.5 MPH, Walk 1:00 at 4.0 MPH
Run 1:00 at 8.0 MPH, Walk 1:00 at 4.0 MPH
Run 1:00 at 6.5 MPH, Walk 1:00 at 4.0 MPH
Run 1:00 at 5.5 MPH, Walk 2:30 at 4.0 MPH
Total Time: 22:30 Minutes
Total Distance: 1.8 miles

[I][B]CF Redding Warm-up[/B][/I]

[I][B]WOD: [/B][/I]
[I][B]Double-under for 2 minutes
Sit-up for 2 minutes
Double-under for 90 seconds
Sit-up for 90 seconds
Double-under for 1-minute
Sit-up for 1-minute
Double-under for 30 seconds
Sit-up for 30 seconds[/B][/I]
[U][I][B]Post numbers of sit-ups and double-unders to comments.
[/B][/I][/U]
[I]Since I still can't do enough double unders, I scaled the workout to:
[/I]
[COLOR=Navy][B]2X jump rope singles for 2 minutes = 214
Sit-up for 2 minutes = 75
[/B][B]2X jump rope singles[/B][B] for 90 seconds = 153
Sit-up for 90 seconds = 65
[/B][B]2X jump rope singles[/B][B] for 1-minute = 111
Sit-up for 1-minute = 45
[/B][B]2X jump rope singles[/B][B] for 30 seconds = 54
[U]Sit-up for 30 seconds = 26[/U]
[COLOR=Black]TOTAL Singles = 532
TOTAL Sit-ups = 211

[I]Strength WOD: Push Press 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1.
Warm-up:
[/I][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=Black]PVC X 15
45# X 10
95# X 5
[I][B]Working:
135# X 1, 145# X 1, 150# X 1, 155# X 1, [COLOR=Red]160# X 1 - PR[COLOR=Black], 165# X F, 165# X F, 155# X 1
finished with 135# X 5.

P. M. Workout
August Tabata Challenge

Tabata Thrusters @ 45#
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/I][B][COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]8/8/8/8/8/8/8/9 = 65 (or 8 by strict Tabata Scoring).

[I]Challenge make up - [/I][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black][I]missed a couple last week.
[B]Tabata Jump Rope Singles
[/B][/I][B]45/45/49/36/29/26/49/45 = 324 (or 26 by strict Tabata scoring).
[/B]Lots of misses, especially on the low numbers. Got my rope wrapped around my left leg on the 6th cycle and could not get going again! :rofl::rofl:

[I][B]Then: Assisted at cross training fitness class at globo....
[/B][/I]
I felt [I][B]fantastic [/B][/I]today!
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Nancy Cohen 08-20-2009 08:47 AM

Yea! Glad you're having a super fantastic day! Oh, that was yesterday. Well, I hope you have another one today!

Did I tell you what happened with my achilles strain? Went to P.T. to confirm what was wrong and get a plan of action. He gave me exercises to strengthen my calves and hips (weak right hip), and to stretch my calves, hamstrings, and achilles. It's all working. Been 2 weeks since I saw him, and I'm 75% better. Just wanted to share, since you struggle with achilles problems. PM me if you need more details on exercises he gave me.

Stephen R. Lampl 08-20-2009 02:21 PM

Thanks Nancy - I'm also having a great day today, though I'm doing less volume for work today.

I don't remember your having shared the diagnoses of you leg issues, so thanks for the info. So glad that it is nothing really serious and improvement is coming so quickly.
I'd love a PM from you with the info regarding your treatment / PT. I have decided to change my approach to my workouts and really concentrate on being warmed up, scaling way down (weight wise) if I need to, and working on flexibility. The last is fairly easy...

My injuries are getting much better - Achilles is basically healed. R/ knee is tender most of the time, but improving and much better overall. And L/hammy held up well to a minute at 8 MPH!

Gordon Cooke 08-20-2009 04:50 PM

Glad to hear your injuries are getting better and you are feeling better, Steve. I think the Paleo diet will really help you too, especially in recovery from the WODs. Good luck.

Nancy Cohen 08-20-2009 05:19 PM

Steve, sent you an informative and opinionated pm!

Stephen R. Lampl 08-20-2009 08:25 PM

[quote=Gordon Cooke;648495]Glad to hear your injuries are getting better and you are feeling better, Steve. I think the Paleo diet will really help you too, especially in recovery from the WODs. Good luck.[/quote]

Gordon,

Thank you! Today was the second day in a row where I was able to get the intensity of my work up where it needed to be and I didn't fear tweaking anything. I also came away from my workout tired, but basically pain-free. I've been doing Zone for about four or five months - - but have not been "religious" about sticking to it cleanly. Changing that now.......I like my dairy too much to really go full bore Paleo though.

[quote=Nancy Cohen;648512]Steve, sent you an informative and opinionated pm![/quote]

Nancy,

Thanks much! I [I][B]LOVE[/B][/I] informative and opinionated P.M.s! :D

Stephen R. Lampl 08-20-2009 08:43 PM

[I][B]090820 THURSDAY

[/B]A.M. Cross training class at the globo; I assisted and helped demo dead lift skills and burpees. [B]Then.....my turn.[/B]

[B]Warm-up:
[/B][/I][B]Stationary Cycling: [/B]10:00 / L3 / 100 RPM / 2.6 miles.
[B]CF Redding WU

[I]WOD: Dead Lifts 3, 3, 3, 3, 3.
[/I]Warm-up sets: [/B]135# X 5, 185# X 5, 225# X 5[B]
Working sets:
275# X 3
295# X 3
305# X 2 [/B](Fail on 3)[B]
315# X 1 [/B](didn't try more reps)[B]
325# X F - twice -[/B] (Just couldn't get more than about 2" above the deck!)
[B]225# X 10 [/B](for high rep set to finish)
[I]Felt good and hoped for a PR today, but just couldn't do it......too many sets of demos, I guess.....[/I]

[I][B]Later......
[/B][/I][B]August Tabata Challenge:
#1, Tabata Jumping Jacks: 25/26/26/26/26/25/26/26 = 206 (25*)
#2, Tabata Bench Press - 65#: 16/16/14/9/8/10/10/8 = 91 (8*)
[/B](* = strict Tabata scoring), did #2 as a make up for last week - - should be caught up now.

[I]P.M. Cross training class at globo - - helped demo Sumo Deadlift High Pulls;
then helped demo and assist with kipping pull-up basics.

[B]Post class skill work: Hang Power Cleans. [/B][/I](I really need work on these).
[I][B]W/U: [/B]45# X 10, 65# X 5
[B]Working:
[/B][/I][B]95# X 5[/B][B]115# X fail, fail, fail (3 X). [/B][I]I've gotten this weight before, so probably a bit tired.....
[/I][B]95# X 5
95# X 5
95# X 5
95# X 5
95# X 5

[/B][I]Another great day today. It's nice to work hard and come away feeling tired, but not hurting (just sore) and knowing you left without tweaking anything![/I]