CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Starting (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Another Newbie - Glad to be here (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=1712)

Scott Tanis 03-23-2007 02:10 PM

Hey all,
Just found CF on 3/8 from a video link in a T-Nation article about the muscle-up.
A little background: 44 yr old male, 6', 225lbs from Columbus, OH. I was a triple athlete - football, basketball, track (sprints, hurdles), and I did 6 yrs in the Marine Corps (Active Reserves). Sadly, after 25 years of marriage, kids and sitting behind a desk, ballooned up from 175, to 240lbs. About 3 years ago I decided it was time for a drastic change. I started a program of high-intensity weight training and high-intensity interval cardio (i.e., 1 minute jump rope for max reps, 1 minute rest x6), and a diet of 40, 30, 30 (never heard of Zone until CF - just made sense based on my own research). Managed to drop 40lbs of fat, add 20lbs of LBM, drop 9 inches off my waist (scale weight of 200lbs) and went from resting heart rate of 72 down to 64 in 2 years, but was disillusioned with the results in terms of functional/athletic performance improvement and the joint problems - especially elbows - that the program produced. Enter an 8 month training lay-off and putting back on an extra 25lbs, I'm now excited to have found CF as I began looking for ways to improve on my previous programming.
As I mentioned above, I found CF on 3/8, bought a CFJ subscription on 3/9, spent the following week with cold/flu studying the CF site, found CF Columbus and joined their group workout on 3/17, jumping in with both feet (I'm very competetive) - and nearly died (well, it felt like it anyway) about 1/3 of the way through. Humbled, but not discouraged, I started the Beginner Workout with the official CF Warm-up and Bob Anderson Stretching on Monday, figuring the best thing I could do now is rebuild my foundation, establish good form/technique and work on flexibility - especially shoulders, hip flexors and posterior chain. I plan to participate in the CF Columbus group session again this weekend, but I'll scale back the intensity enough so I can finish the workout. BTW, Bill and Troy are really great - they understood when I dropped out of the workout, they encouraged me through my self-imposed humiliation, and Bill is taking time this weekend to coach me in form/technique on my foundations.
I'm looking forward with great anticipation to a long love-hate (love the results, hate the prescription) relationship with the CF community.
Never say die!

Scott

Paul Findley 03-23-2007 02:43 PM

Scott, welcome!

Hopefully, you will soon come to only fear, but not hate the prescription. That is where you want to be.

Scott Tanis 03-23-2007 07:44 PM

Thanks Paul. Fear is probably a better description than hate. Upper body strength and stamina needs the most work. I can lat pull-down my body weight, but I can only do 1 or 2 unassisted pull-ups, and I can only manage 15 push-ups and 10 dips - 1 or 2 tops on the rings, and only about 10 body rows. On the other hand, I can squat 255 for 15 reps or air squat 200 reps, lunge 100 yards, deadlift 205 for 10 reps, and run 400 in about 1:10.
I'm also apprehensive about the oly lifts - they seem very technical and likely to cause great injury if done wrong; so glad I have a CF affiliate in town with people willing to coach me.
Looking forward to becoming an athlete again.

Scott

Daniel Fannin 03-24-2007 10:33 AM

Scott,

Glad you found Crossfit! Welcome aboard and happy training.

Sometimes the Kool-Aid is nasty. ;)

Daniel

Scott Tanis 03-25-2007 05:45 PM

Dan, thanks for the encouragement.
Well, I just went out for my second group WOD session this afternoon with CF Columbus (Ohio). Last week I couldn't finish one round after the warm-up drils. Today, I managed to finish 3 of 4 rounds. I managed to avoid Pukie - my muscles (and my lungs) just gave out. But, I'd say I'm making some ground. In fact, I feel pretty good this evening - tired, but not sore or overly fatigued.
I've also come to the conclusion, that due to my prior training, my lower body strength is quite acceptable (for now), and my form isn't too bad either. I really need to work harder on upper body and core strength, and my stamina/endurance. So i'm going to start just doing the WODs.
Of course losing 25-40 pounds of body fat certainly wouldn't hurt - so to that end, I've gone on the Zone "hard core" (just started the Zone yesterday after getting the books from library).

Scott

Mike Gray 03-26-2007 06:53 AM

Hey Travis!

I'm a newbie myself, so I don't believe a word I say - but I noticed that we have a few things in common.

Though I've got another decade to go before I hit 44, I do notice that we have some pretty similar issues: acceptable lower body and speed stuff (decent squats, deadlifts, 400 times and all that - and I don't often lose a sprint), but pretty shameful upper body strength. I'm also a 6'0 guy hovering somewhere around you old weight.

One thing some CF-ers in this forum have recommended to me is to add 50-100 pushups to my warmup. On days when I don't have a pec-tri intensive WOD (with today's combo of wall-balls and push-presses it was out of the question), I've been adding six sets of ten pushups to the warm up. Of course, it makes the warm up feel like the Baton Death March, but I'd like to think it's helping ...

Scott Tanis 03-26-2007 09:52 AM

Mike,
Thanks for the tip. I think I'll add some to the push-ups, pull-ups, and dips, maybe changing up grips from set to set.

I'll be out of town in Jersey City on busines for the next 3 days, so I'm pretty much limited to body-weight-only exercises and maybe running if the weather is ok. But even at that, there's enough variety available in that to get in a pretty intense and varied workout - especially if I Tabata or do 21-15-9 for time type of thing.

Actually, I could take my rings with me too, and slip the straps in the door frame and do body rows.

Probably time to start checking in at the other forums on this board too.

Thanks,
Scott