CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Nik Nichols 02-11-2010 09:59 AM

Re: Nik

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;737889]don't worry about yesterdays wod nik. You can't change it, besides u are getting better at the wall balls and that's what really matters.
I'm gonna try to stay wihin the 5 minute range on todays wod but don't know if i can stay on that. My legs feel really sore today and the rower gets me winded on it's own. I can't imagine how winded I'll get with the thrusters and rower combo. I'm just gonna give it hell and keep my breaks to 321go even if it's just one rep at a time.[/QUOTE]

Aye, me too. My legs have gotten more sore, but I warmed up ok. I hope to keep to a 321go as well, I hope to keep as much unbroken, sumos will suck after a wile,
Is Scott going first?

I wish you still did the workout in the morning so I could check your time. I'm getting all nervous on this one, it has the potential to really be good.

Ernie Guevara 02-11-2010 10:14 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;737896]Aye, me too. My legs have gotten more sore, but I warmed up ok. I hope to keep to a 321go as well, I hope to keep as much unbroken, sumos will suck after a wile,
Is Scott going first?

I wish you still did the workout in the morning so I could check your time. I'm getting all nervous on this one, it has the potential to really be good.[/QUOTE]

Lol I will start workin out in the morning next week. I was supposed to start this week but have come up with every excuse possible when the alarm sounds lol. I'm gonna start doing two wods a day to get the body use to it for sectionals. I believe Scott is doing it first if notthe u are. Good luck bro, getting nervous is a good thing.

Scott Jenkins 02-11-2010 10:53 AM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;737904]Lol I will start workin out in the morning next week. I was supposed to start this week but have come up with every excuse possible when the alarm sounds lol. I'm gonna start doing two wods a day to get the body use to it for sectionals. I believe Scott is doing it first if notthe u are. Good luck bro, getting nervous is a good thing.[/QUOTE]

Be hitting it in one hour's time, my thinking is I can do this fast and still not be totally burnt out, my aim is to make myself totally burnt out by round 3 and see how I cope with another 8-10 minutes of pure pain. Only fellow CF'ers would understand that logic.

Nik Nichols 02-11-2010 12:10 PM

Five rounds for time of:
Row 500 meters
135 pound Power clean, 12 reps
95 pound Thruster, 15 reps

time 40:28

that was bad.

Ernie Guevara 02-11-2010 12:31 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;737941]Five rounds for time of:
Row 500 meters

that was bad.[/QUOTE]

Holy crAp balls!!! That looks like a long battle, what was the worst part? Good job finishing it Nik! Now I'm really scared!

Marianne Urbanski 02-11-2010 12:33 PM

[quote=Nik Nichols;737941]Five rounds for time of:
Row 500 meters

that was bad.[/quote]

ouch.. that is all I can say is ouch...
I probably need to try this one... It will take me over an hour!! :)

Nik Nichols 02-11-2010 12:45 PM

Eh that workout made me mad, Brady said I took over a min on breaks. I fell on thrusters, Cleans were heavy, I dropped one and chest high.

It broke me.

Cleans,were the wors, the cleans made the thrusters light, I messed up my breathing and fell., but thrusters were light after the cleans. Sumos were light, but you are rowing.

It really broke me down, I am furious at myself, I sucked major.

It put me off my food.

Marianne Urbanski 02-11-2010 12:48 PM

[quote=Nik Nichols;737966]Eh that workout made me mad, Brady said I took over a min on breaks. I fell on thrusters, Cleans were heavy, I dropped one and chest high.

It broke me.

Cleans,were the wors, the cleans made the thrusters light, I messed up my breathing and fell., but thrusters were light after the cleans. Sumos were light, but you are rowing.

It really broke me down, I am furious at myself, I sucked major.[/quote]

Nik: how about congratulating yourself for getting through this beast!?! it is more than 98% of americans would do!! You are doing GREAT!!
BTW: what is the weight you used for the SDLHP?
CONGRATS!!! :pepper:

Nik Nichols 02-11-2010 12:50 PM

[QUOTE=Marianne Urbanski;737969]Nik: how about congratulating yourself for getting through this beast!?! it is more than 98% of americans would do!! You are doing GREAT!!
BTW: what is the weight you used for the SDLHP?
CONGRATS!!! :pepper:[/QUOTE]

Thanks, truly.;) 45lbs for the sumos.

Marianne Urbanski 02-11-2010 12:57 PM

[quote=Nik Nichols;737974]Thanks, truly.;) 45lbs for the sumos.[/quote]
how many sumos =500M row? Just wondering the sub... either way it sucks!:highfive:

Ernie Guevara 02-11-2010 01:37 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;737966]Eh that workout made me mad, Brady said I took over a min on breaks. I fell on thrusters, Cleans were heavy, I dropped one and chest high.

It broke me.

It really broke me down, I am furious at myself, I sucked major.

It put me off my food.[/QUOTE]

I like the fact that u r mad because it shows you expect more of yourself but just chalk it off as a bad day. It's a very tough wod and everyone gets beat by one every now and then. Don't put off your food cuz you need to recuperate. Just use the madness as fuel for nexttime! Keep ur head up bro!

Scott Jenkins 02-11-2010 01:38 PM

Thats a huge amount of barbel work, you got to remember us with rowers can go easy and get our breath back and the metres keep clocking along, trust me when you get a rower your times will jump hugely.

Im with the others on congrats for getting through it mate. :highfive:

Nik Nichols 02-11-2010 02:48 PM

Thanks Ernie and Scott. I'm over the mad, it wasn't the time as much as preformance. I ate and I am good.

Jay Rhodes 02-11-2010 05:25 PM

Hey good stuff on the workout today.

As Scott said, doing it with 3 bars really doesn't let you get any wind back.
And its tough to push through after falling on a clean. It gets in your head.

Good fight, take the rest and know that you put in an enormous amount of work. 40 min on anything with intensity is no joke.

Laurie Smith 02-11-2010 09:54 PM

Row 500 meters

that was bad.[/QUOTE]

Um...guess now would be a bad time to tell you I beat you 2 days in a row huh?. :o

Leon Robotham 02-12-2010 02:03 AM

Row 500 meters

that was bad.[/QUOTE]

Ouch mate, that's a painstorm right there :)

Nik Nichols 02-12-2010 07:48 AM

[QUOTE=Laurie Smith;738219]Um...guess now would be a bad time to tell you I beat you 2 days in a row huh?. :o[/QUOTE]

Oh now I'm mad!! :D Eh it wasn't my day.

[QUOTE=Leon Robotham;738254]Ouch mate, that's a painstorm right there :)[/QUOTE]

HAHA, I thought of how easy you made 198lbs look on your video wile I was doing it!

Scott Jenkins 02-12-2010 08:10 AM

You still got the snow Nik, did you manage to make a snowman after all yesterday?

Nik Nichols 02-12-2010 08:19 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;738386]You still got the snow Nik, did you manage to make a snowman after all yesterday?[/QUOTE]

YEA, it snow all day yesterday, I got home and Cathy and the boys had already started the snow man. Tomarrow I will build a bigger one. I got to try my strong man stone lift on a big snow ball.:rofl:

We had a snow ball fight ect. It was great fun.

It was rough getting in to work today,32KPH all the way in, I hope the roads clear a bit more for the weekend, I'll have martin and wont risk getting stuck with him in the car just for a workout.

Oh I'm the only one who made it into work and I have a rear wheel drive car.

Nik Nichols 02-12-2010 09:19 AM

10:00 break
30 GHD's straight(last 10 were tough)
30 squats
backext 30lbs
abmatt situos 45lbs bar
Camille pushups

I'll do my pullups and ring dips at lunch.

Nik Nichols 02-12-2010 11:46 AM

30c2b pullups
30 ring dips(not weighted Ernie:rolleyes:)

12min amrap
10DU's
2MU's
8round+10sdu's 1mu

done for practice, not at a 321go, just wanted to move arround some. Breathy workout.

oh I got a couple of 10 unbroken. Good for me.

Nik Nichols 02-13-2010 07:51 AM

1 rep-max Snatch

Ten minute time limit, not including warm up.

in 5 lbs jumps taking 10 sets in the 10min.
from 75lbs to 120lbs

My one rep max was 100lbs last time.

It was good, I had my shoulders locking good, I had to focus hard on my left shoulder locking BEFOR catching the bar.

I was going up by 5lbs a round. I'm not to comfortable with this movement, but I have progressed.

I had 115lbs done thinking that would be my last set and happy with the 15lbs pr, and looking at the clock I had 45seconds to go and thought ''I can stick on 5 more pounds and go befor times up.'' So I slapped it on, didn't look at the clock, set and pulled it. Then with it over head I looked to the clock at 10:00 even.

Real happy with it. I needed a good lift after the otherday.

Laurie Smith 02-13-2010 01:37 PM

Great job Nik! Good thing you didn't give up or you would have missed an even better PR!

Scott Jenkins 02-13-2010 01:42 PM

Great PR there Nik , do you think you could of gone on and got more weight with extra time, though its good to walk away with some still in the tank for next time.

Nik Nichols 02-13-2010 05:35 PM

[QUOTE=Laurie Smith;738956]Great job Nik! Good thing you didn't give up or you would have missed an even better PR![/QUOTE]
My thinking exactly, I had time so I gave it a shot and it paied off.
[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;738961]Great PR there Nik , do you think you could of gone on and got more weight with extra time, though its good to walk away with some still in the tank for next time.[/QUOTE]

Scott I didn't miss one lift. I know I could have gone more. I was so focused on form (shoulders, and good squat) and knowing 100lbs was my pr and that was realloy tough to get.

It shows my bit of form work is working.

Like you said I walked away with more in the tank, and time ran out of course.

Jay Rhodes 02-13-2010 05:59 PM

Great work Nik!

I've gotten myself a day behind, and I needed the rest today so I'm hoping for a PR as well tomorrow.

Not even sure what my Snatch PR is....I believe 135lbs

Whatever it is, it's going up tomorrow, hopefully to BW.

Nik Nichols 02-14-2010 07:56 AM

Goood luck Jay.

Max rounds and reps in eight minutes of:
4 Handstand push-ups
2 pood Kettlebell swing, 8 reps
12 GHD situps

Post results to comments.

4 rounds even
I wanted 5, all unbroken except the dang GHD's.

GHD's were ground to toe. first round unbroken, the rest was two breath breaks(like 1 to 2 seconds) but still that was the limiting factor.

Scott Jenkins 02-14-2010 10:15 AM

Glad to hear the HSPU's were all unbroken, there getting stronger Nik. Hitting a lot of your goats lately some GHD's today. Did the workout get you breathed at all?

Nik Nichols 02-14-2010 01:27 PM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;739236]Glad to hear the HSPU's were all unbroken, there getting stronger Nik. Hitting a lot of your goats lately some GHD's today. Did the workout get you breathed at all?[/QUOTE]

Yea, a bit breathy, not to much. KB's got me breathing hard, the resyt no.
HSPU's dont get me breathy. GHD's do a tiny bit, but I end up getting wore out befor i get to breathing hard.

Also my back is sore from today. I was a bit sore from yesterday, but nothing really, but today did a number on me. I'm pretty sore now.

Laurie Smith 02-14-2010 01:58 PM

Nice work Nik! That was a fun one.

Jay Rhodes 02-14-2010 02:15 PM

How much difference you think there is between an GHD situp and a regular anchored situp?

I have a video up of my 8 min AMRAP from today, but I didn't have a GHD setup, nor have I ever really had much experience with them....

Let me know what you think

Nik Nichols 02-14-2010 02:55 PM

[QUOTE=Jay Rhodes;739317]How much difference you think there is between an GHD situp and a regular anchored situp?

I have a video up of my 8 min AMRAP from today, but I didn't have a GHD setup, nor have I ever really had much experience with them....

Let me know what you think[/QUOTE]

the difference is about 90degrees. From being flat on your back to bending over backwards and touching the ground. (WFS)[url]http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_GHDSitupElements.wmv[/url]

I go from touching my toes to touching the ground.

Jay Rhodes 02-14-2010 03:01 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;739325]the difference is about 90degrees. From being flat on your back to bending over backwards and touching the ground. (WFS)[url]http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_GHDSitupElements.wmv[/url]

I go from touching my toes to touching the ground.[/QUOTE]

I've seen the demo's...I tried to build a make-shift GHD one day....was pretty uncomfortable on the back.

What would you say is the difference in terms of difficulty? Are GHD's much worse, or just a different movement?
I've got to find one of these!

Nik Nichols 02-14-2010 03:04 PM

[QUOTE=Jay Rhodes;739332]I've seen the demo's...I tried to build a make-shift GHD one day....was pretty uncomfortable on the back.

What would you say is the difference in terms of difficulty? Are GHD's much worse, or just a different movement?
I've got to find one of these![/QUOTE]

For me much worse. And I wouldn't rig somthing up, most people who do it doesn't work well.

I do situps 30reps with45lbs overhead as my warmup everyday, and I am lucky to get the 30 reps of GHD's done without stopping.

Nik Nichols 02-14-2010 03:13 PM

here is a couple of pic of me on the racking that I do them on. I don't think our rig is great, but it works solid, except every set you have to loop the rope over your feet. It is a pain, but it works well enough.

(WFS)[url]http://x0e.xanga.com/78fc862754132208426875/t162304179.jpg[/url] [url]http://x97.xanga.com/e8d8505635538208426901/t162304202.jpg[/url]

Jesse Emers 02-14-2010 05:54 PM

[QUOTE=Jay Rhodes;739332]I've seen the demo's...I tried to build a make-shift GHD one day....was pretty uncomfortable on the back.

I've got to find one of these![/QUOTE]

Jay the GHD situps are definitely significantly harder. You definitely reach muscle failure alot quicker. I did this workout rx last month or so and got just under 6 rounds. The GHD situps were the hardest part. I also used the 30" width parallettes with 3" extra depth, and the strict overhead standards like in the games.

Nik Nichols 02-15-2010 07:33 AM

''pre workout jitters''

30 reps of GHD's (20 in a row, then 3 breats and a couple of more ect till I finished)
30 back ext 30 lbs
30 Camille pushups straight through.

Well I set up most of the workout. Weights are ready, both bars set(clean bar, thruster bar) DB's set. 45lbs plate set.

On the walking lunges I have to go 50 feet and turn, so 6 ''raps'' for me on that.
box jumps to 27inches as usual

I expect my toes to bar wont look great, I don't think I'll be able to keep straight legs on it, but my toes will hit bar, or anchels, what ever hits hits, but somthing will.

I'll set the rings up in a bit.

Scott I wish you were here. After hearing you will have to program it different because of the gym. I am almost ashamed to have it all lined up and ready to go. Yopu would be in heavin here today.

Oh yea, My back it a bit sore, but after the ghd's and back ext it feel good to go.

Scott Jenkins 02-15-2010 07:57 AM

Sounds fantastic Nik, I could get it done at the affiliate but dont have time to drive there today. Look forward to seeing how your time stands up to the gyms, go crush em Nik.

Nik Nichols 02-15-2010 09:19 AM

Will do Scott.

finished setting up for the workout.

Warm up.
DU's
cleans
couple of MU's
and toe to bar.
After warming up I realize that I have only done toe to bar once maybe twice, I have no form for it, it will be challenging. I hope I can pickup a rythum for it as I do it.

Ernie Guevara 02-15-2010 09:28 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;739628]Will do Scott.

finished setting up for the workout.

Warm up.
DU's
cleans
couple of MU's
and toe to bar.
After warming up I realize that I have only done toe to bar once maybe twice, I have no form for it, it will be challenging. I hope I can pickup a rythum for it as I do it.[/QUOTE]

Toes to bar are the same as knee to elbows nik. You just gotta reach a lttle higher. I use the same technique as when I do kte. Good luck on it bro, looking forward to seeing ur time on it!