CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Ernie Guevara 02-08-2010 08:42 AM

Re: Nik

Cool, for rest day fun I'll be doing some front squats and overhead squats. I told Scott I'll be doing strength movements and the wod from now on. 1 in the evening and one at night. Today I'm gonna do 6 sets of 3 reps of 175 for front squat and 135 for ohs. Just to dial in the form and technique.

Nik Nichols 02-08-2010 08:49 AM

175lbs FS is kind of light for you Ernie. With your clean in the, what 230 to 250 range you can do more if you are going for strenth.

Nik Nichols 02-08-2010 08:54 AM

I'd go with front sqt: work up to a heavy single. 90% of that single x 1 x 3
or 1 x 5. I'd pick 90% of my clean weight. for me it would be 90% of 220(Ithink) or 198lbs give or take.

Nik Nichols 02-08-2010 09:23 AM

10:00 break
warmup
3x10
abmatt situps 45lbs bar
GHS's
backext 30lbs
pullups C2B
FS's with bar
ring dips.

Nik Nichols 02-08-2010 12:06 PM

Lunch

DU practice. I started at getting 10 reps, I would go if I missed I restarted. Did acouple of rounds of 10, then I got 20 in a row, PR I think.

I did the knee snaches and knee cleans posted on the main page. With the bar only.

I did sets of 5 reps each exercize inbetween bradys deadlift. It was pretty fun! (WFS) [url]http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_WestsideBarbell_KneeSnatching.wmv[/url]

Nik Nichols 02-08-2010 02:25 PM

3:00 break

2set 10 reps C2B pullups with 30lbs vest. Testing a theory. I'm working on kipping ''up'' instead of back and forth.

Our ''little'' bar is on our squat rack, if you don't weight it you can rock the rack and possibly pull it over. I was kipping more ''up'' and was able to kip with out moving the rack. I'm thinking this way will bwe better and save energy. We will see how it works.

FS 3x3 205lbs

Scott Jenkins 02-09-2010 01:19 AM

Kipping up sounds interesting Nik, I have that kind of kip whenever I first begin a set of pull ups or when I do shorts sets like 5. Got a feeling on higher reps you may have to switch to the normal kip as kipping straight up does use a lot of explosive energy, but again you have very strong pull ups and kipping up has a quicker turn around so it might suit you.

Nik Nichols 02-09-2010 07:18 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;736605]Kipping up sounds interesting Nik, I have that kind of kip whenever I first begin a set of pull ups or when I do shorts sets like 5. Got a feeling on higher reps you may have to switch to the normal kip as kipping straight up does use a lot of explosive energy, but again you have very strong pull ups and kipping up has a quicker turn around so it might suit you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Scott, I'm just looking for more efficient. I see some people kipping like Mikko so smooth and ''slight''. So simple and easy looking and efficient. I'm looking to refine my movement.

So I found that by DOING DU's they actually get better. Thinking about them, which is fine, didn't help at all. :shrug:

Nik Nichols 02-09-2010 07:45 AM

early back and core warmup
30ghd's (20 then 10)
30 backext 30lbs
30abmatt situps 40lbs DB

Melissa Whittle 02-09-2010 09:11 AM

Way to go on your DU PR!! :highfive:

It's interesting to read what you wrote about kipping up as opposed to kipping with a back and forth movement. Would you say you are using your shoulders/arms more when kipping up, with less hip involvement? Or can you describe how this changes the mechanics?

Also, happy belated birthday! :cake:

Nik Nichols 02-09-2010 09:17 AM

[QUOTE=Melissa Whittle;736770]Way to go on your DU PR!! :highfive:

It's interesting to read what you wrote about kipping up as opposed to kipping with a back and forth movement. Would you say you are using your shoulders/arms more when kipping up, with less hip involvement? Or can you describe how this changes the mechanics?

Also, happy belated birthday! :cake:[/QUOTE]

I will try it more and analize it a bit more, I did the same this morning. I'm not 100% sure what exactly I'm changing. It doesn't feel harder, just different. Let my go over it a bit more and i'll post a good repory. I may try to get a video of it and see if there is a differece and if i can show a difference I'll post it.

Thanks on the B day.

Nik Nichols 02-09-2010 09:18 AM

warmup. 30reps
C2B pullups
Camille pushups
ring dips
squats.

Nik Nichols 02-09-2010 11:51 AM

Resting 60 seconds between sets:
Back squat 2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

weight 265lbs all the way across.

Good depth, good time. Brady watched the clock and counted down from 10, Bar was up and I was squating on time every time.

I got tired pretty fast, I had 2 reps where I rolled onto the balls of my feet just a bit, but not bad. Back is good, legs are SORE.

Ernie Guevara 02-09-2010 12:43 PM

Solid work there Nik! That's almost to 90% of ur max right? Did u start breathing hard toward the later sets? This means I have to start with 265 lol to match you. I had a feelings the legs would be sore after this wod. Hope tomorrow is an upper body triplet.

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;736844]Resting 60 seconds between sets:
Back squat 2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

weight 265lbs all the way across.

Good depth, good time. Brady watched the clock and counted down from 10, Bar was up and I was squating on time every time.

I got tired pretty fast, I had 2 reps where I rolled onto the balls of my feet just a bit, but not bad. Back is good, legs are SORE.[/QUOTE]

Nik Nichols 02-09-2010 01:23 PM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;736879]Solid work there Nik! That's almost to 90% of ur max right? Did u start breathing hard toward the later sets? This means I have to start with 265 lol to match you. I had a feelings the legs would be sore after this wod. Hope tomorrow is an upper body triplet.[/QUOTE]

It is 5lbs short of 90% of 1 rep max(300)

No not breathy at all. I just got sore fast. The 60 seconds is long, long enough to rest. But I got a bit tired at the end. No breathy ness.

Yea, you have to start at 265, I had my 2 1/2's readt for the last 5set, then I was going to throw them on the last set, but it was enough as it was. I had to fight my knees going together. The weight was right. It killed me. I'm walking funny.

You know there will be a run or box jumps, there has to be something!!LOL

I hope you beat me!!

Leon Robotham 02-09-2010 01:46 PM

Dude

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO YOU :D SORRY I MISSED THAT!

Nik Nichols 02-09-2010 02:24 PM

[QUOTE=Leon Robotham;736912]Dude

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO YOU :D SORRY I MISSED THAT![/QUOTE]

Thanks Leon, no worrys.

Brady Herrin 02-09-2010 02:26 PM

Hey, do your Hulk Hogan impression for everyone.... :)

Nik does a good Hulk Hogan impression after 2 Shiners and a 32oz High Life.

Nik Nichols 02-09-2010 03:55 PM

[QUOTE=Brady Herrin;736940]Hey, do your Hulk Hogan impression for everyone.... :)

Nik does a good Hulk Hogan impression after 2 Shiners and a 32oz High Life.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it translates to the written word well. :rofl:

Jesse Emers 02-09-2010 07:32 PM

Nik awesome work lately! I have to apologize I haven't been very active on the boards lately. Your deadlifts, DUs, squats and all the other WODs are lookin good. Mainpage has had such interesting workouts lately, they are getting pretty crazy, I like it!

Laurie Smith 02-09-2010 09:48 PM

Awesome job Nik!! You are killing it!!

Nik Nichols 02-10-2010 07:10 AM

[QUOTE=Jesse Emers;737084]Nik awesome work lately! I have to apologize I haven't been very active on the boards lately. Your deadlifts, DUs, squats and all the other WODs are lookin good. Mainpage has had such interesting workouts lately, they are getting pretty crazy, I like it![/QUOTE]
Eh not to worry, we all get busy, it is tough to keep up with the boards as it is. Thanks on the lifts. The main page has really shook thing up lately. It is a good change from cycling through the old stuff, but I'd like a shot at a few old bench marks to see how I stack up now.
[QUOTE=Laurie Smith;737146]Awesome job Nik!! You are killing it!![/QUOTE]

My legs are killed you mean.;)

Yippy wall ball!

Nik Nichols 02-10-2010 09:23 AM

10:00 warmup
30GHD's non stop
30 abmatt 40lbs DB
30 ring dips
30 pullups(2 sets)
30 Camille pushups
30 squats
30 Bact ext 30lbs

Leon Robotham 02-10-2010 09:42 AM

Hey Nik, what are Camille push-ups?

Scott Jenkins 02-10-2010 10:25 AM

[QUOTE=Leon Robotham;737346]Hey Nik, what are Camille push-ups?[/QUOTE]

Im guessing Nik works with a Camille and he has her on he's back, strong boy.

Nik Nichols 02-10-2010 10:26 AM

[QUOTE=Leon Robotham;737346]Hey Nik, what are Camille push-ups?[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA, I forgot about that name I'm so use to it.

I tried to find a video but couldn't.

Take a plank of wood (I use a 2inx6in about a little less then 3feet long or 1meter) Balance it on a golf ball and do pushups balanced on the ball.

Camille told me about them and I don't have a proper mane for them so I call them Camille pushups. Harder then regular pushups.

Nik Nichols 02-10-2010 11:58 AM

For time:
50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound
25 L Pull-ups
40 Wall ball shots, 20 pound
20 L Pull-ups
30 Wall ball shots, 20 pound
15 L Pull-ups
20 Wall ball shots, 20 pound
10 L Pull-ups

Time 15:29

Wallball was ok. The ball smacked me in the mouth on rep7 first set, but no problem. Kept going. I was real breathy on wall ball though. I was ok with the breathing, but I was gasping alot. Usually I breath in from my nose but not today.

Pullups on rings, Brady had the bar. They were good, I got multiples (2's, 3's) most of the war through with a 321go break inbetween reps.

I was gassed after, my breathing didn't come back for a wile. My abs were and are sore now.

Ernie Guevara 02-10-2010 01:17 PM

Awesome job Nik! That looks like a fast time to me. I predict around 15 minutes for myself aswell as long as I can handle my breathing. I tend to always breathe through my cuz my nose tends to get stuffy all the time from allergies. So I know what you mean about the gasping! Good job sticking to the 321go rest. I hope I can do the same.

Laurie Smith 02-10-2010 03:41 PM

Wow Nik! Kick a$$ time. I'm hoping for under 25 minutes.

Jesse Emers 02-10-2010 08:13 PM

Nice time Nik. That looks like a horrible workout. Both wallball and L-pullups are on my list of very few movements that I dislike.

Scott Jenkins 02-11-2010 04:49 AM

Great work again with the wall balls Nik, hope your balls not done any damage to your face , speedy time.

Todays looks nasty really looking forward to it :evilsmile

Nik Nichols 02-11-2010 07:04 AM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;737449]Awesome job Nik! That looks like a fast time to me. I predict around 15 minutes for myself aswell as long as I can handle my breathing. I tend to always breathe through my cuz my nose tends to get stuffy all the time from allergies. So I know what you mean about the gasping! Good job sticking to the 321go rest. I hope I can do the same.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Ernie, I will have to check your log, But I expect you beat me.
[QUOTE=Laurie Smith;737573]Wow Nik! Kick a$$ time. I'm hoping for under 25 minutes.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Jesse Emers;737685]Nice time Nik. That looks like a horrible workout. Both wallball and L-pullups are on my list of very few movements that I dislike.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm getting better at wall ball to the point I don't DREAD them. They are still a learning thing, but I'm happy with it.

Nik Nichols 02-11-2010 07:06 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;737767]Great work again with the wall balls Nik, hope your balls not done any damage to your face , speedy time.

Todays looks nasty really looking forward to it :evilsmile[/QUOTE]

I had to re look at todays workout. POWER cleans, that will be alot easier on me then squat cleans, and we have done 135lbs thrusters, so it will be ok? I know later on in the workout, round 3and 4 willl be hard, but they always are.

Nik Nichols 02-11-2010 07:12 AM

WE HAVE SNOW!!!!! I can't believe it!!! Real snow, it is a couple of inches, nothing really, but for us here in mid Texas it is a big deal!!

I had to feed and let the chickens and goat out this morning and I walked out to snow, and it was still snowing!! I ran in it , I laughed, and thanked God for the laugh. The Chickens didn't like it much, but the're chickens, who cares.
I woke Martin up and dressed him warm and we went out in the snow for the first time!! It was great, it was great!! We threw snow balls, we ate it , ran in it. It was great!!

I know still a kid at heart!!

Scott Jenkins 02-11-2010 07:21 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;737799]WE HAVE SNOW!!!!! I can't believe it!!! Real snow, it is a couple of inches, nothing really, but for us here in mid Texas it is a big deal!!

I had to feed and let the chickens and goat out this morning and I walked out to snow, and it was still snowing!! I ran in it , I laughed, and thanked God for the laugh. The Chickens didn't like it much, but the're chickens, who cares.
I woke Martin up and dressed him warm and we went out in the snow for the first time!! It was great, it was great!! We threw snow balls, we ate it , ran in it. It was great!!

I know still a kid at heart!![/QUOTE]

You really have not seen much snow before Nik, thats brilliant , you got to build a snowman with Martin now, some good active rest for you.

As for todays workout, it will be fun , I have only one-bar to use unless I take all the bar's from the gym which would be naughty.

Ernie Guevara 02-11-2010 07:30 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;737796]I had to re look at todays workout. POWER cleans, that will be alot easier on me then squat cleans, and we have done 135lbs thrusters, so it will be ok? I know later on in the workout, round 3and 4 willl be hard, but they always are.[/QUOTE]

Hey Nik just wanted to make sure you knew that the thrusters for today are with 95lbs not 135lbs lol. I read ur message and it sounded like you were gonna use 135 for both. Just wanted to clarify incase u had misread the wod. How are ur legs from yesterday?

Nik Nichols 02-11-2010 07:36 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;737804]You really have not seen much snow before Nik, thats brilliant , you got to build a snowman with Martin now, some good active rest for you.

As for todays workout, it will be fun , I have only one-bar to use unless I take all the bar's from the gym which would be naughty.[/QUOTE]

Not in a long time. I live in Virginia and know snow, it has been alot of years for me. And how can it not be fun with a 3yo boy throwing snow balls?

We have two bars and need three for thye sumos, we will be changing weight unless I can weight up the e z curl bar and sumo it.

Nik Nichols 02-11-2010 07:41 AM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;737816]Hey Nik just wanted to make sure you knew that the thrusters for today are with 95lbs not 135lbs lol. I read ur message and it sounded like you were gonna use 135 for both. Just wanted to clarify incase u had misread the wod. How are ur legs from yesterday?[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA why Ernie, do you think I'd screw up a WOD like that? (maybe I would have)

Legs are sore, but good. Just regular sore. I tell you I must have done somthing wrong on yesterday workout. I took breaks on the wall ball. I got the first 20 in a row, then 10 then 5 and 5.

Pullups were 5reps then 2's for as long as I could get them, but my time is really fast for some reason. I don't know it is what it is. That was yesterday.

It just kind of bothers me. I'm sure I did it right(on the count). Eh.

You think you can stay in the 5 min range?

Nik Nichols 02-11-2010 09:24 AM

30 ghd's in a row
2set 15 pullupc C2B
30 camille pushups
ring dips
squats
abmatt situps 40lbs DB.

Same ol thing.

Ernie Guevara 02-11-2010 09:47 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;737828]HAHAHA why Ernie, do you think I'd screw up a WOD like that? (maybe I would have)

Legs are sore, but good. Just regular sore. I tell you I must have done somthing wrong on yesterday workout. I took breaks on the wall ball. I got the first 20 in a row, then 10 then 5 and 5.

Pullups were 5reps then 2's for as long as I could get them, but my time is really fast for some reason. I don't know it is what it is. That was yesterday.

It just kind of bothers me. I'm sure I did it right(on the count). Eh.

You think you can stay in the 5 min range?[/QUOTE]

don't worry about yesterdays wod nik. You can't change it, besides u are getting better at the wall balls and that's what really matters.
I'm gonna try to stay wihin the 5 minute range on todays wod but don't know if i can stay on that. My legs feel really sore today and the rower gets me winded on it's own. I can't imagine how winded I'll get with the thrusters and rower combo. I'm just gonna give it hell and keep my breaks to 321go even if it's just one rep at a time.