CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What to do when at the globo gym... (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=59086)

Jean-Paul Lara 06-21-2010 09:08 PM

What to do when at the globo gym...

I have only worked with bumper plates once and that was doing Fran rxd at a level 1 cert. I was doing some OHS and I know I could have gone heavier but because I'm not working with bumper plates and I'm constantly worrying about dropping the weights and having to worry about damaging the flooring.

Anyone else have this dilemma (obviously speaking to the NON-affiliated)? What have you done to work around this situation?

Pls don't give me "quit the globo gym!"

James White 06-21-2010 09:11 PM

Re: What to do when at the globo gym...

[QUOTE=Jean-Paul Lara;800413]I have only worked with bumper plates once and that was doing Fran rxd at a level 1 cert. I was doing some OHS and I know I could have gone heavier but because I'm not working with bumper plates and I'm constantly worrying about dropping the weights and having to worry about damaging the flooring.

Anyone else have this dilemma (obviously speaking to the NON-affiliated)? What have you done to work around this situation?

Pls don't give me "quit the globo gym!"[/QUOTE]

Buy some bumpers and take 'em in with you? I'm gonna have to try this myself, soon.
:(

Albert Chang 06-21-2010 09:19 PM

The gym doesn't even have a squat rack? In the globos I've been to I could always do the OHS in those.

Jean-Paul Lara 06-21-2010 09:29 PM

Lol! I already feel like a caravan! I bring so much crap with me I turn the squat rack into a circus. But you do have a good idea, I just don't think that lugging around 45# bumper plates would be fun...

Dammit you have a point! The more I think about it, it just seems more and more right lol.

Thomas Covington 06-22-2010 05:21 AM

[QUOTE=Albert Chang;800417]The gym doesn't even have a squat rack? In the globos I've been to I could always do the OHS in those.[/QUOTE]

If it is a cage and a tall lifter it is a no go.

I have the same lack of bumper issues, and I just keep anything with a significant chance of drop to low weight/high rep as I do not care to destroy the equip, make a scene if/when it drops, and get booted.

William A Cantrell 06-22-2010 05:49 AM

I just lift in the Squat cage...im 5'10 and it isnt a problem for me.

Zach Price 06-22-2010 07:59 AM

[QUOTE]Pls don't give me "quit the globo gym!"[/QUOTE]

Fine... but don't be afraid of being thrown out, and you will eventually if you stick to crossfit. If you play by their rules you are wasting your time. Glassman knows something about that.

Jamie J. Skibicki 06-22-2010 08:02 AM

DOn't go for a max. Stick to no less than triples. THat way you'll have a pretty good idea if you can't get the next rep or not and just rack. There really isn't a reason you should be droping OHS.

Renee Lee 06-22-2010 08:10 AM

[QUOTE=Jean-Paul Lara;800419]Lol! I already feel like a caravan! I bring so much crap with me I turn the squat rack into a circus. But you do have a good idea, I just don't think that lugging around 45# bumper plates would be fun...

Dammit you have a point! The more I think about it, it just seems more and more right lol.[/QUOTE]

get 15# ones, or 25#. you just need one set of bumpers that will allow you to drop the bars.

Hector Santiago 06-22-2010 09:27 AM

If the Gym that you are going to don't allow you to reach your max, I would say that you need to look for a better gym that would allow you to reach your max, another answer to your question will be GARAGE GYM my friend. maybe it is time to save some money and slowly buy stuff around. you could start by buying plates or what not. I have (I would say) a very nice garage gym and still go to the affiliates or what not, it is not the same working in the garage or by your self than to working at an affiliate. you could also join one of the affiliates, those were my 2 cents.

SANTI