CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Health and Medical Issues (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Pressure in the head and eyes while lifting (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=84118)

Daniel Pope 09-06-2013 07:31 PM

Pressure in the head and eyes while lifting

Hello all,

Big weight lifter here. Been competitive in strongman, crossfit and heavy lifting for well over a decade.

Recently I've been getting some dull pressure in my head (behind my eyes) and eyes following some of my oly sessions (mostly overhead stuff). Today I broke a blood vessel in my eye (during clean and jerk) and that's always a bit scary. My resting blood pressure is under control.

I've tried to be conscious about my breathing and I believe that's a large part of it (val salva) and I'm going to be better about my breath holding moving forward.

That being said I know that this is fairly common in lifters. Just curious if anyone here has had this problem, learned to correct their breathing and was able to continue hitting new PRs (Currently deadlifting mid 500s, jerking 300+).

I just feel that val salva is such a huge part of weightlifting. Wanted to get some other opinions! Thanks in advance.

Blaise Davis 09-13-2013 07:16 PM

Re: Pressure in the head and eyes while lifting

maybe go see a doctor, do you use corticosteroid cream on face like cortisone 10, this can increase eye pressure and cause glaucoma, I wouldn't ignore dull pressure behind eyes for too long, especially if you have blood vessels popping, this can lead to more problems as well...don't want to go blind my friend....to answer your other question its pretty much impossible not to vagal down when lifting heavy weights, better breathing could help a little i suppose but not significantly since you will still be vagaling down at some point during the lift anyways

Robert D Taylor Jr 09-13-2013 08:11 PM

Re: Pressure in the head and eyes while lifting

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Pope (Post 1192819)
Hello all,

Big weight lifter here. Been competitive in strongman, crossfit and heavy lifting for well over a decade.

Recently I've been getting some dull pressure in my head (behind my eyes) and eyes following some of my oly sessions (mostly overhead stuff). Today I broke a blood vessel in my eye (during clean and jerk) and that's always a bit scary. My resting blood pressure is under control.

I've tried to be conscious about my breathing and I believe that's a large part of it (val salva) and I'm going to be better about my breath holding moving forward.

That being said I know that this is fairly common in lifters. Just curious if anyone here has had this problem, learned to correct their breathing and was able to continue hitting new PRs (Currently deadlifting mid 500s, jerking 300+).

I just feel that val salva is such a huge part of weightlifting. Wanted to get some other opinions! Thanks in advance.

Are you clenching your teeth?