CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Dave Coughlin 06-12-2009 06:38 PM

Re: Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log

Kudos for getting your stride looked at, Steve. There is a Fleet Feet in Orlando as well, maybe I might have them take a look at my big a$$ on their treadmill. I bought a pair of adidas saras (pretty much just like the sambas), and I've only ran a bit in them so far. Tough getting used to that flat sole, after my years of using heavy-cushioned running shoes.:shrug:

I'll probably keep the adidas' for WODs, but use my asics for anything longer than a mile (or for my beloved track days:). Hope everything is well for you over there...

Carter Jee 06-12-2009 07:07 PM

[QUOTE=Justin McGinley;606591]Well hot damn. You are getting STRONG. That beats my PR. Nice work Stephen![/QUOTE]

doh!! must haver missed this!!!

wow....that is one impressive lift stephen!!!!

carter

Stephen R. Lampl 06-12-2009 10:31 PM

[quote=Dave Coughlin;607015]Kudos for getting your stride looked at, Steve. There is a Fleet Feet in Orlando as well, maybe I might have them take a look at my big a$$ on their treadmill. I bought a pair of adidas saras (pretty much just like the sambas), and I've only ran a bit in them so far. Tough getting used to that flat sole, after my years of using heavy-cushioned running shoes.:shrug:

I'll probably keep the adidas' for WODs, but use my asics for anything longer than a mile (or for my beloved track days:). Hope everything is well for you over there...[/quote]

Hey Dave,

Thanks for dropping by! I was really interested in getting the Vibrams to try out. Most of the folks at CF Redding can't say enough good about them and that they have really given them great strength improvement in their feet. Problem is, I would probably end up with serious orthopedic issues. Oh well.....Like you, I'm gonna save the new Sauconys for serious running, though I'll keep my New Balance and Asics for WODs.....

Everything here is going so - so. I'm having a bit of a "pity party" - - can't find work and haven't been able to work out for nearly a week. No WODs = :( and:ranting2:. Took a great hike today and hopefully (if I'm not too sore) will hit the nearest affiliate for their open session tomorrow a.m. I need to hit some of the weak spots.

[quote=Carter Jee;607025]doh!! must haver missed this!!!

wow....that is one impressive lift stephen!!!!

carter[/quote]

Thanks, Carter! Felt good - - form got a bit nasty - looking though. I hear 400# calling my name, but it's still a long way off......:D

Stephen R. Lampl 06-12-2009 10:53 PM

[I][B]090612 FRIDAY

REST DAY - - [/B][/I]more job hunting......

Couldn't stand it, so took a hike - - literally!

[I][B]Hike: Pinecrest Lake National Recreation Trail[/B] (around lake perimiter)[/I]
Distance: 4.0 miles
Difficulty: Beginner/Easy
Time: 1:20

Stephen R. Lampl 06-13-2009 01:10 PM

[I][B]090613 SATURDAY - Workout at CrossFit Excel (Escalon, CA)

[/B][/I]Worked with Trainer/Affiliate Owner Nick Hobby today on squat rudiments. Nothing else!

[I][B]Warm-up: CF Excel WU:
[/B][/I]400m Run (I mostly walked - - Achilles a bit sore from the hike yesterday)
Then 2X of:
OHS X 10 (PVC)
10 burpees
10 Kb Swings (1 X w/35#, 1 X w/53#)
10 Ball Slams
Samson Stretch
Added GHD situps X 15 X 1
Back Extensions X 15 X 1
Shoulder Pass Thrus X 10 X 1
Body Circles X 10 X 1

[I][B]Training:
[/B][/I][B]Squat Therapy.[/B] Worked solely on squat form - - all unweighted. Keyed on the following training cues:
1). Chest High
2). Push butt back first, as far as possible, keeping chest high before dropping into the squat
3). Place hands on hips (as necessary) as a cue to pull shoulders back
4). "Pull" myself down into the squat maintaining the lumbar curve, chest up, and shoulders back.
5). Drop to dynamax depth, if possible, without losing lumbar curve ("butt wink").
[I]This was [U]hard[/U]![/I] [I]Did about 30 reps total in groups of about 5 or 6. Nick watched and provided cues throughout - - this really paid off. Things went from seriously ugly to almost perfect in about 30 reps!

[/I][B]Overhead Squat work: [/B]Again, worked on form using no weight - just PVC.
It's a bit easier to keep my lumbar curve with these, but run into a different .set of problems. Training cues from Nick for the OHS:
1). Shoulders back and [U]active[/U] to keep bar in frontal plane
2). Push butt back first as far as possible, chest high, then begin lowering into the squat
3). "Pull" myself down into the squat
4). Ensure my knees travel/stay over my feet
5). Keep toes pointed no more than at a 15 to 20 degree angle out. Too much causes knees to track to the inside of my feet
6). "Push"/keep knees out over feet
7). Lower to dynamax depth
[I]Again, this was quite a workout![/I] [I]Did about 30 reps of this also (in sets of 5 or 6). Form on this also looked much improved at the end of the sets.[/I]

[B]Kipping....[/B]
We looked at this - - I'm still not getting the timing down for "tying" hip drive to the pull. Gymnastics kip - - I still don't have the shoulder flexibility for this to be efficient. The best Rx for me - - work on developing really good, functional lat strength; do ring rows, straight arm full ROM cable pull-downs, and use assist bands. to work toward chest to bar. Keep working on timing - - it will eventually "click."

Great training day today! Feeling a bit sick to my stomach, so didn't hit a true WOD today......maybe later.

Dave Coughlin 06-13-2009 01:49 PM

Wow-quite a productive day today Steven:highfive: I love how Nick's watchful eye provides a ton of ways to tweak your movements. Have you thought about integrating PVC OHS, for a couple sets of ten, into your warmup? Having him give a couple cues for you will help out your entire family of squatting movements. Keep up the great working attitude in terms of developing a solid kip. One day soon, all the pieces will come together for you, and you will be nailing kipping PUs like nobody's business:stir:

Best of luck on the job hunt as well....

Carter Jee 06-13-2009 04:23 PM

ditto on the job hunt well wishes from dave...

nice work on the squat and OHS... its great getting coaching on your movements!!! the squat must have started to feel good after a while..

carter

Nancy Cohen 06-13-2009 09:03 PM

Hey Steve,

Geez, I wish you better luck on your job hunting. This can be so depressing and really zap your energy (physical and mental). Try to keep fitting in your workouts during this time. It'll help keep you feeling good through the "suck."

Stephen R. Lampl 06-14-2009 11:28 PM

[quote=Dave Coughlin;607271]Wow-quite a productive day today Steven:highfive: I love how Nick's watchful eye provides a ton of ways to tweak your movements. Have you thought about integrating PVC OHS, for a couple sets of ten, into your warmup? Having him give a couple cues for you will help out your entire family of squatting movements. Keep up the great working attitude in terms of developing a solid kip. One day soon, all the pieces will come together for you, and you will be nailing kipping PUs like nobody's business:stir:

Best of luck on the job hunt as well....[/quote]

[quote=Carter Jee;607311]ditto on the job hunt well wishes from dave...

nice work on the squat and OHS... its great getting coaching on your movements!!! the squat must have started to feel good after a while..

carter[/quote]

Dave and Carter,

Many thanks for the feedback, encouragement, and well wishes on the job hunting. Dave, I have incorporated the OHS with PVC into my warm-ups on an on-and-off basis, though mostly off as of recently. My form has been poor enough that I did not want to reinforce the muscle memory incorrectly. Nick observed with the OHS, that the fight to keep my inflexible shoulders back and active helped to reinforce my lumbar curve and keep my chest up, so I actually did better with them than basic squats.

Carter, the squats felt great, once I finally got them right. It is really difficult to "feel" the butt tuck under toward the bottom of the squat, so the verbal cues from Nick were a welcome addition.....I feel a little dumb doing it without going for a PR, but I think it's time I took some videos of my form work - - once I really get the form down consistently, I can call that a PRin and of itself!

Take care - - both of you!

Stephen R. Lampl 06-14-2009 11:31 PM

[quote=Nancy Cohen;607384]Hey Steve,

Geez, I wish you better luck on your job hunting. This can be so depressing and really zap your energy (physical and mental). Try to keep fitting in your workouts during this time. It'll help keep you feeling good through the "suck."[/quote]

Nancy,

Thanks so much for your encouragement! I didn't really think about it, but I have been depressed and have had a difficult time "getting my act together." The lack of time for workouts hasn't helped either. Back at it tomorrow........