CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Competitions (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Top 10 or so Athletes You'd Like to See at the Games (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=83616)

Charles Golden 08-09-2013 09:03 AM

Top 10 or so Athletes You'd Like to See at the Games

http://games.crossfit.com/article/let-games-begin (WFS)

I got sort of excited when I saw the description of what this list contained, until of course I read it and realized it was mostly a joke (considering most of the list is either Masters' age athletes or peeps who are already dead). That was a bit disapointing but whatever, it's their page, their article. That got me thinking though of who would really the top 10 professional athletes who we'd like to see at the Games.....Here's my number one.....

My short list would start with Trent Richardson. He's around the perfect height, although a bit heavy right now (listed at 5'9 and anywhere from 220 to 230. He's reported to have a 365 clean and a 600 squat so she has the speed and strength. There are some former RB's among the top Games competitors already (Panchik comes to mind).

Thoughts?

Jeff Enge 08-09-2013 09:12 AM

Re: Top 10 or so Athletes You'd Like to See at the Games

I saw that article and was thinking of posting it too until I actually read it and realized they were 1) joking and 2) cherry-picking otherwise great athletes with obvious CF-related weaknesses.

I can agree with you on Richardson. I think any NFL RB especially would be a good CrossFitter, and three others I'd especially like to see are Ray Rice and Chris Johnson (to compare two totally different styles of football athlete - one's a compact sparkplug that likes to hit guys and one's a leaner speedster) and Adrian Peterson (just because he's a freak - canned footage on Oklahoma sports stations when he was in college always showed him doing high box jumps with dumbbells that looked pretty dang heavy).

Also would be interested in seeing Mike Trout and Yasiel Puig, probably the two most overall athletic baseball players, just to see if the thought that MLBers are less "athletic" than other pros is a myth or not.

Hmmm, I'm sure I could come up with some others but that's a couple quick hits there.

Greg Spaight 08-09-2013 09:15 AM

Colin Kaepernick
Tiger Woods - (Stanford strength coach called him the strongest athlete pound for pound he had ever worked with)
Ronda Rousey
Lebron. Too tall, but he is a beast.
Yasiel Puig

John Holcombe 08-09-2013 09:41 AM

Definitely Adrian Peterson or Vernon Davis from the NFL. Sometimes being shorter can be an advantage in crossfit workouts so you could throw in Ray Rice or Maurice Jones Drew

Patrick Rushbrook 08-09-2013 10:16 AM

Herschel Walker in master's. That guy is a genetic freak. Even at 51 he's still in amazing shape and competing in MMA bouts.

From wikipedia.

Walker is known for his unorthodox training and dieting methods. Walker says he sleeps five hours a night and eats only one meal a day (skipping breakfast and lunch).[58] He is a vegetarian[58] and his diet is made up mostly of soup, bread and salad.[59]

Walker has participated in a variety of sports including football, Olympic bobsledding, track and field, taekwondo, and ballet dancing. Instead of lifting weights, he has a daily regimen of 750 to 1,500 push-ups and 2,000 sit-ups.[58] He has been going through this same routine since high school

Jackson Harmer 08-09-2013 11:54 AM

I'd like to see world record holder in the decathlon Ashton Eaton. And one of the powerfully built world class sprinters, they have probably done a fair amount of olympic lifting. How about so e of the world's top rugby players? Have any top level olympic lifters ever done the popular crossfit workouts to see how they fare?

Charles Golden 08-09-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackson Harmer (Post 1185378)
I'd like to see world record holder in the decathlon Ashton Eaton. And one of the powerfully built world class sprinters, they have probably done a fair amount of olympic lifting. How about so e of the world's top rugby players? Have any top level olympic lifters ever done the popular crossfit workouts to see how they fare?

Kendrick Farris did Isabel at the Games this year (http://games.crossfit.com/video/kend...is-does-isabel WFS) and it took him 3:21. Those last 10 to 15 were really super slow. You could tell he was gassed pretty quick. It would be interesting to see a guy at his level fully commit to CF.

Steven Wingo 08-10-2013 11:53 AM

The premiere football athletes coming out of some college football programs would be excellent candidates. In particular, I know that Bama, LSU, and now UF rely heavily on Olympic lifting in their strength programs. I'd look at the running backs, tight ends, linebackers, and safeties coming out of those programs and making it into the NFL as guys with lots of potential... ...and Olympic lifting experience. I don't know what teams, if any, in the NFL use Olympic lifting but some of the players on any such team would obviously be great candidates.

I'm pretty sure one of the Denver RBs trains at a Crossfit box in Denver, I believe with Matt Chan. There is a video of it. From what I remember, he was very impressive in some areas but still would sometimes get his butt handed to him by a few in shape soccer moms in some areas of GPP. So even those great, well rounded athletes would still have a lot of work to do before getting to a Games competitor level.

Glenn Plomchok 08-10-2013 12:14 PM

Wasn't Tiger a Beanpole while at Stanford? I recall him getting much bigger after his first couple of years as a pro and although he was not nailed for PED's his growth and strength gains over a short period of time leads me to believe he was on the juice. Freak athlete, yes...strength pound for pound without the juice? Not so sure.

And I am not one of those guys who points to the juice on every strong athlete but he was always skinny and if my memory is serving me correctly, he blew up quickly ala say Lenny Dykstra.

Paul Victor French 08-10-2013 07:05 PM

How about Clarence Kennedy. His strong point is obvious, he'd smoke any games athlete in any strength event really, boasting over a 600 deadlift, nearly 600 pounds squat (atg), over 400 clean and jerk and I believe over 350 snatch.

On the flip side he's on the smaller side, weighing under 200 pounds. He also has a parkour background, I've seen him doing box jumps above his head flipping around like he's on a trampoline.

I find him to be a bit of an ***, and I believe he's made negative points about crossfit, but if he wanted too with proper training he could become lethal. He also has age on his side as he's very young.