CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Community (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   T-Nation, Shugart and the Truth About CrossFit (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=38880)

Bart Hodlik 11-05-2008 11:45 AM

Re: T-Nation, Shugart and the Truth About CrossFit

I think that there will never be a truly "independent" reasonable article written by either side (T-nation or CF). One prime example... at the link for the article, at the bottom, you have pics of half naked women... go to this site to see more. Then you have ads selling whatever supplement. The mind set is different between the two communities. And no matter how much certain people from either side cross over to check out what's going on, on the other side to learn more, a larger group will not accept what's reviewed and written about.
Its good that we're all in the gym, instead of on the couch, but our goals and mind set are vastly different, while competing to be the "best" of either one.

Phillip Garrison 11-05-2008 03:16 PM

I think the article takes a fairly objective look at Crossfit and Glassman, who certainly has his detractors and for some valid reasons.

Phillip Garrison 11-05-2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey Raiford (Post 438618)
One thing about Crossfit coverage in general (such as it is) is that CF is generally stigmatized with Rhabdo. This article falls into the same pattern, meaning that it makes is sound like CF is the only thing in the entire world that can cause rhabdo. Know what the single biggest cause of rhabdo in the US military is? Basic training.

Yes, CF can cause rhabdo. So can powerlifting, ultradistance running and a host of other athletic endeavors. Getting your @$$ off the couch and into the world causes all manner of complications, it's up to each of us to use some common sense and self awareness.

CF keeps getting associated with rahbdo of it's own doing, if they don't want to be linked with it, get rid of Uncle Rahbdo

Ryan Jones 11-05-2008 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bart Hodlik (Post 439047)
I think that there will never be a truly "independent" reasonable article written by either side (T-nation or CF). One prime example... at the link for the article, at the bottom, you have pics of half naked women... go to this site to see more.

I love those pictures :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Stafford (Post 438928)
I think the problem is that by openly discussing it and even having a mascot for it, we make it seem like a bigger problem for CrossFit than it actually is. I'm sure if any statistics were compiled, CrossFit would not have any more occurrences of Rhabdo than any other activity/sport but because we talk about it so often it makes it seem like we do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq (Post 439279)
CF keeps getting associated with rahbdo of it's own doing, if they don't want to be linked with it, get rid of Uncle Rahbdo

Crossfit has far less cases of rhabdo than traditional military pt, marathons, and many, many other athletic endeavours. If not for CF most people would not even know what rhabdo is. The criticism CF receives over rhabdo is ridiculous considering, relatively speaking, rhabdo is hardly an issue with CF, and CF is the only place I know of that does any sort of education about rhabdo whatsoever. Talk about shooting the messenger... No one with half a brain could believe that CF trivializes rhabdo. As for Makimba Mimms he's an obvious fraud who deserves to be mocked in public. If a 7 year old can do something four times faster than you with no adverse affects then there's no way in hell that activity caused you rhabdo.

Brandon Oto 11-05-2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Jones (Post 439341)
Crossfit has far less cases of rhabdo than traditional military pt, marathons, and many, many other athletic endeavours.

Source for that?

Ryan Jones 11-05-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Oto (Post 439349)
Source for that?

I know in one of the crossfit radio podcasts the scout/sniper school instructor said rhabdo cases have decreased to 0 since the implementation of crossfit. I don't remember the article(s) I've read that indicated the large number of rhabdo cases across other military PT. I know Coach has mentioned in numerous places how rare rhabdo is in crossfit, but again can't point to any specific places. Sorry my memory is **** and I can only remember summaries not details. Just like I don't remember where I read that exercise is even only the fifth most often cause of rhabdo behind such things as drug use, alcohol use, crushing trauma, and one other I don't remember.

Brandon Oto 11-05-2008 05:32 PM

Okay. Let's not use it to make a point then.

Chad Waterbury 11-05-2008 05:57 PM

I just want to take a second to jump on this thread and say that I'm impressed by the discussions that occur on the CF boards. Even when you don't agree with what a person or article states, you still manage to respect the opinions of others without resorting to personal attacks.

That's a great example to set. I wish other fitness forums would take note.

Casey Raiford 11-05-2008 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Jones (Post 439341)
Crossfit has far less cases of rhabdo than traditional military pt, marathons, and many, many other athletic endeavours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Oto (Post 439349)
Source for that?

This might be it:

http://afhsc.army.mil/msmr_pdfs/2008/v15_n02.pdf

It starts on page 8.

Richard Doughty 11-05-2008 09:54 PM

chris quoted me for the article , im a big fan of his i'm so stoked right now