CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Stuff and Nonsense (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Seen at the globo yesterday (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=31110)

Jason David 09-25-2008 11:37 AM

Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giles Clarke (Post 409174)
Hi Jason, thank you for sharing;

My name is Giles Clarke and I'm a recovering partial squatter. I've been partial squat clean now for two years, and it feels really good.

Some days are easier than others. I mean, the temptation is always there. When I go to a gym and look around at everyone else partial squatting and having a good time I sometimes think, "Go on, one partial squat isn't going to kill you. Who's even going to know."
But, I'll know. That's what has kept me partial squat clean this long.

Funny! I'm picturing the TV Show 'Intervention' with a partial squatter as the theme for that episode...

Like no matter what...always catching Giles doing partial squats - whether in the bathroom, at work, at home...

And when you unexpectedly see the camera you can throw your weight belt at it and start yelling and such!!

Then everybody gets in a circle around you - and gets into the bottom squat position and we all start crying. Just hoping that you will try to save yourself from a lifetime of knee problems and improperly proportioned hamstrings...

Patrick Haskell 09-25-2008 11:57 AM

The whole half-squat notion confounds me. Even in school when I was doing a stupid BB program and didn't do much leg work, bc I thought running and biking and MA were enough (and was thoroughly mystified by why my vertical jump was stagnant - so I was none to bright in these matters), I did full squats whenever I bothered to use the squat rack for it's intended purpose. The people I'd workout with would cringe and say, "Squatting like that hurts your knees," and I kept saying "No it doesn't; my knees don't mind at all." It was the only way I'd ever squatted, squat down-stand up - what's the problem? Of course with all the biking, my legs were massively imbalanced and the eccentric contraction would result in crippling DOMs for days, so I didn't do it much, but the notion of trying a half squat never occurred to me as a sensible thing to do.

I'm new to the globo scene (or at least hadn't been to one in almost a decade before the last couple of weeks), so I'm constantly biting my tongue to encourage folks to do their dips or squats lower or to get the F off of the Smith Machine. (I consider it a public service to do my oly lifts directly in front of this, so that getting on the Smith doesn't seem entirely safe to others.) I'll wait for somebody to ask about my OHS, DL, or Fran, etc. before I offer any advice (and no, I won't hold my breath waiting).

David Gray 09-25-2008 12:29 PM

I've decided that so long as they stay in the Smith machine and away from the squat cage, I don't care (unless it's life threatening, see "suicide grip" above). But of all the waste-of-space machines in the gym, it's the stupid thigh machines, the ones where women (only women, never seen a man on one) first try to close their legs against the weight, and then hop over to the other one where they try to open their legs against the weight. What a useless set of toys!

As for fat folks doing isolation exercises that their trainers taught them, I find that's the in--hey, guy, you've been busting your ***. Want to know what the trainers do themselves and aren't showing you? Come follow me...

Christopher E Bloom 09-25-2008 12:33 PM

So, I'm gonna go ahead and drag this post into this thread for those who missed the most Embarrassing CF Moments thread. This was witnessed at a Globo-Gym. Notice how the story is told in the first person. If you have read this in the other thread, bear with me, I’m just sharing the love with those who may not have heard my tale. Sorry if this is considdered spamming but is is pretty ammusing.

Way back in my Globo-CrossFit conversion days (Summer of 98), I was working a job at a summer camp in addition to working with Coach Glassman at Spa Fitness in Santa Cruz. I was a bit of a pupil of his back then when it was just him and Lauren and a few disciples. I was trying to incorporate the things he said about intensity into my workouts. Way back then, I was partly converted to CrossFit and still doing the Muscle Media, FLEX, Muscular Development workouts whilst still trying to listen to Coach about Met-Con and the other principles of CrossFit.

So, Anyhoos, I was Tri Setting (Everybody remember those?) Squats x 20 reps, Leg Ext's x 20 reps and Leg Curls x 20 reps, all for 5 sets. So in trying to turn this into a CrossFit workout (This was before the WoD's had Girls Names and Eva was still a new client) by not resting in between sets. I was sure feeling the burn and getting a hell of a "Pump" during the workout.

**Pause for back-story**- I was working at a Camp in the Santa Cruz Mountains in the mornings and then at Spa Fitness in the evenings. This meant I would workout at 5am (I was the World Gym Face against the glass if the door wasn't open at 5am monkey) and then I'd go to work and eat breakfast. Why do I mention this? Because I was working out on a tremendously empty stomach and frigging starving myself in the mornings because Bill Phillips said I'd burn more fat. {Chris pauses to be blasted by Robb Wolf} Why do I mention this? Keep Reading.
**End of Back-story**

So, after this super intense 5 sets of tri-setting Squats, Leg Ext's and Leg Curls at super high intensity with no rest between (I was 19 and a bit dumb back then) I was feeling pretty good about myself and the leg pump I had just acheived. I was feeling the burn and enjoying the pump. I looked around and whilst enjoying my sense of euphoria, decided to go over to the Spin Area (Every one remember the "Spin" Days?) and finish off my "Leg Day" with a Spin Class. I continued to enjoy the feeling of euphoria which I now realize was not a result of good hormones and endorphins being released into my blood stream but was actually a tremendous drop in blood pressure resulting in a sense of lightheadedness. (That’s right boys and girls, Chris' Brain was starving from lack of Glucose and Oxygen.)

I did a few quick stretches and then picked up my trusty 1.5 liter bottle of water (oh yeah, i did the water thing back then too) and began to gulp of it's icy cold goodness. I closed my eyes for (what seemed like) a second and felt a wetness in my crotch area. I thought to myself: "You know, I've heard of Marathoners loosing bodily control during a LONG event but to my knowledge, I had never heard of anyone in the gym loosing bodily control (except the occasional Deadliftarriah) so instead of thinking to myself "gee, i'm peeing myself and I should do something about it" I thought to myself "Wow, this must have been a hardcore workout if I am standing here and just peeing myself. Wow, I must have worked hard to be unable to stop peeing myself."

All of a sudden, it felt like someone took a baseball bat and with a running start, smashed in my face.

So, I'm thinking to myself, "Why would anyone hit me in the face with a baseball bat? I'm just minding my own business peeing myself here?"

A moment latter I realized that I hadn't opened my eyes since I started drinking my icy good water and I tried to force my eyes open but to no avail. I started to try to move but was being held down (So I thought).

Finally, I opened my eyes and looked around. I realized that I was stuck in between two Spin Bikes after having fallen over. When I thought I was peeing myself, I had actually passed out whilst drinking my water and pulled the opening away from my mouth just enough to spill about 1L of my bottle down my front side. What I thought was a baseball bat was actually me falling forward and hitting my face on the Spin Bikes on the way down. When I thought I was being held down, that was the two Spin Bikes I was stuck between.

I picked myself up and looked in the mirror and realized that I split open my entire eyebrow and was bleeding from a nice 1" gash. I grabbed my trusty workout towel, cleaned up the spilled water (the blood was on my face, not the floor or equipment so no biohazard), headed into the locker room, grabbed my duffel bag and drove to the ER for a half dozen stitches.

I know that isn't a true "CrossFit" moment but it was the 90's.

Conclusions:
(1) Tri-Sets- Bad
(2) Pump Chasing- Bad
(3) Unless you are deliberately using intermittent fasting, Working out while starving- Bad
(4) ICE Cold water after a workout- Bad
(5) Stretching out while lightheaded near sharp equipment- Bad

Still have the scar but it is completely covered by my eyebrow. How lucky is that.

Matthew Eucalitto 09-25-2008 12:51 PM

We have a guy that I work with (gym right next to my building on base) who comes in every day at the same time, wearing his shirt/tie/khakis etc. He does 3 sets of 3 reps of benching, and 2 sets of 3 reps of incline bench and then gets up and leaves.

EVERY SINGLE DAY. the man can bench a good amount, but he looks like the rest of his body might fail any day now

Jason Scheffler 09-25-2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Dunston (Post 409206)
I haven't seen the movie yet, but there's one out with Brad Pitt as a rather high spirited Globo trainer... even if the rest of the movie is junk, it is probably worth it just to see how he portrays the character.

How can it suck? It's a Coen brothers movie, so it won't suck but it will certianly be twisted.

I saw it last week and the Globo gym parts just killed me. It so much reminded me of when I was training (or I thought I was training) at places like the local Y.

If you like the Coen brothers work you're going to like this one.

Sara Fleming 09-25-2008 05:24 PM

:rofl:Holy Crap Chris! I just about peed myself reading your post. That's some good stuff. (I'll tell you about how I walked into right into the bench rack after doing too many push presses and knocked the 45 lb Olympic bar down into the middle of the dumbell pumping crowd some other time. Until that point, they were actually looking at me with some sort of admiration, then it all went downhill . . . )

Christopher E Bloom 09-25-2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara Fleming (Post 409481)
:rofl:Holy Crap Chris! I just about peed myself reading your post. That's some good stuff. (I'll tell you about how I walked into right into the bench rack after doing too many push presses and knocked the 45 lb Olympic bar down into the middle of the dumbell pumping crowd some other time. Until that point, they were actually looking at me with some sort of admiration, then it all went downhill . . . )

Yeah, i'm not sure this is valid for this thread since this is a personal experience but since it was before my complete CrossFit conversion it was an event witnessed at a Globo-gym. Just not witnessed BY me since I was the subject.:shrug:

What can you do?

Sorry about the novel.

Brandon Bergin 09-26-2008 08:55 AM

Off topic Sean, but the movie you're referring to is Burn After Reading ... and I am being 100% honest when I say it was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Don't waste your money, heh.

Giles Clarke 09-26-2008 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason David (Post 409221)
Funny! I'm picturing the TV Show 'Intervention' with a partial squatter as the theme for that episode...

Like no matter what...always catching Giles doing partial squats - whether in the bathroom, at work, at home...

And when you unexpectedly see the camera you can throw your weight belt at it and start yelling and such!!

Then everybody gets in a circle around you - and gets into the bottom squat position and we all start crying. Just hoping that you will try to save yourself from a lifetime of knee problems and improperly proportioned hamstrings...

So I take it you saw that episode?! They promised me it would never run!...I'm so embarassed