CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Community (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Questions about the message board interface. (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=17645)

Nic Nakis 12-31-2004 01:08 PM

There are still some things I haven't figured out:

1) What are the "member" labels about? Why are some people "new members" while others (who may be newer) are "intermediate" or "advanced members"?

2) What do the ratings mean and how do you vote?

...That's all for now...

Brian Gibson 12-31-2004 02:08 PM

Nic,

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, so here goes.

1.) The member status isn't based on time, it is based on post count. Once your posts reach a certain number you move into a diferent member category.

2.) You vote for someone by clicking the small link that is under their avatar(if they have one) or under their name and login name. It's the last thing under a person's information. The rating that a person has is based on the vote(s) they have received.

Paul Theodorescu 12-31-2004 06:31 PM

A very minor quibble:

With the "message board" could the intermediate link be deleted?

Nic Nakis 01-02-2005 08:19 PM

Thanks Brian.

David Werner 01-02-2005 09:23 PM

Paul

In the past there has been some drama concerning bad behaviour, flaming, name calling and infantile BS like that. As a result a board of moderators was formed to baby-sit, and a statement of policy was placed on that "intermediate link". Believe it or not we'd actually like you (everybody) to read those words, and not treat our (everybodies) board like every other internet sink hole.

It wasn't meant to inconvenience you, it was a reaction to the 10% who muck things up. So - no it won't go away.

Regards
Dave Werner
Crossfit North

Brian Mulvaney 01-02-2005 11:21 PM

Nic: The member labels (new, intermediate, etc.) are a lame feature of Discus, the message board software. They equate quantity of posts with quality of posts. Maybe we should scrap the labels.

Paul: What do you mean by "could the intermediate link be deleted"?

Regards,

Brian

Nic Nakis 01-03-2005 11:44 AM

I think the labels are obnoxious. The only thing worth keeping is the "moderator" designation.

Beth Moscov 01-03-2005 12:20 PM

I wonder if they are misleading. I post a lot and so that gives me a "higher" status than others who may or may not have more expertise in a particular subject.

Justin Jacobsen 01-03-2005 01:08 PM

I think it would be very useful if we could come up with a "coach" or "CF authority" disignation. Some of the newer members may not have a clue who they are getting advice from.

Pass those out to our heavy hitters who aren't moderators. Coach Sommer, Rodger H., Tyler, etc., etc.

What do you think? Is it even possible?

Larry Cook 01-03-2005 02:06 PM

I don't find the member label obnoxious .. but it could certainly be misleading to the unitiated. Removing it would be fine, but the designation of "coach" or "CF authority" could be just as misleading and problematic. The moderators are here to keep the board civil and on point.

I think people need to take some responsibility for using the advice dispensed on this site (or any other) in a judicious manner. Read the posts for a while, make your own judgements about who is credible, and then go forward from there.