CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout of the Day (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New Crossfitter... Workout? (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=47637)

Andrew Schechterly 06-11-2009 07:09 PM

New Crossfitter... Workout?

Hey guys,

I'm brand spankin' new to Crossfit (and exercise in general) and just thought I'd take the time to introduce myself. I'm 20 years old, from Pennsylvania, and I just gave up smoking cigarettes after 5 years and have committed myself to getting in shape and eating right (or much better, at least). I was introduced to Crossfit by a friend who lives in the apartment above where I work and the general concept of it... how it was laid out and everything... and how the WOD's were seemingly geniusly random... it sucked me right in.

I've been doing Crossfit only for about 4 or 5 days... with one day off after the thrusters. Ouch. I'm looking forward to seeing how much I can improve... because, believe me... I'm starting at square one when it comes to fitness.

I'm sure I could go back into the archives and find a previous workout to do... but I thought it would be more interesting if you guys would recommend me one... any one at all... for me to do on the rest day tomorrow. I have access to almost everything I could need at the local gym except for rowing machines and rings.

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to growing mentally and physically with you all. =]

Bryan Kemper 06-11-2009 07:15 PM

Re: New Crossfitter... Workout?

The best workout to do on the rest day is........to REST.

I totally understand the enthusiasm and wanting to do more, but you will really do much more by resting than trying to push your self too far, too fast.

Bryan

Andrew Schechterly 06-11-2009 07:28 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention I've been takin' it easy for the first few workouts anyway... for that exact reason. If not a weight workout, how about some cardio? My lungs have taken a whoopin' in the last 5 years. =]

Robert Whipple 06-11-2009 08:40 PM

Welcome Aboard!!! Your gonna love it. :kicking0:

Andrew Schechterly 06-12-2009 04:56 AM

Thanks ! =]

Departed 06-12-2009 10:42 PM

[QUOTE=Andrew Schechterly;606391]Oh, I forgot to mention I've been takin' it easy for the first few workouts anyway... for that exact reason. If not a weight workout, how about some cardio? [/QUOTE]

As a beginner, you should be taking it easy for the first few WODs until your form is locked on. Add intensity after the technique is there.

Second, CF does the workout of the day, not "cardio" or "weights". :)

Edward Hoomalu 06-13-2009 03:18 AM

I would look at Brand X website and follow the scalings posted there. You don't want to push yourself too hard too early. Like others have said, get the form down. You can work intensity while concentrating on form and consistency, trust me I figured that one out real quick at a level 1. :carton:

Cormac O'Connor 06-18-2009 10:44 PM

Well, with the proviso that no single workout is gonna make much difference to you one way or the other, and with the assumption that you're in this for the long haul:

If you're that new to fitness, spending an hour or two working on (air) squat form is a great way to get some active rest on an official Rest Day. It's one of those skills that anyone can work on, regardless of strength level. (unlike say, ring dips, HSPUs, pull-ups...). Take as long as you need to get your breath back between bouts of form work. Stick a bunch of the demo videos on your ipod or whatever and take them to the gym. Emulate that form as closely as possible, keeping a close eye on depth, maintaining the lumbar curve and keeping the knee tracking the line of your foot. Trust me, after an hour or so of that, you'll feel like you got a good workout. And it will help almost every workout you do subsequently too.