CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1000 burpees ??? (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=3080)

Bob Long 01-05-2006 06:06 AM

Lost in the 200+ posts the other day was this gem:

WOD: “A Recon New Years” – with a continuously running clock, locate somewhere you can get cold, wet, and dirty. Knock out 1000 eight-count body-builders to bring in the New Year.

As Rx’d 3:57:40

Posted by Caleb Ballard at January 3, 2006 07:45 AM

Is that 3 hours 57 minutes and 40 seconds for what are basically 1000 burpees? That would take me a week. No comments were made that day so I assume you guys missed it. Geez, 1,000 eight-counts. I am stunned.I will now stagger back to the couch and eat Oreos until I feel better.

Craig Van De Walker 01-05-2006 07:25 AM

Holy crap. Does everything on him still work?

David Wood 01-05-2006 07:56 AM

I'm not sure it's quite that bad (although, no, I don't have *any* desire to try it myself).

1000 burpees in (just under) 4 hours.
250 / hour
4 / minute
1 every 15 seconds.

A horrific grind, but not impossible. I'm not quite sure what would drive a man to do that, and it is kind of amazing.

Robert Wolf 01-05-2006 12:02 PM

I suspect he just went through a break-up...

Bert Brams 01-06-2006 03:42 AM

As soon as my elbow is healed, I'm gonna break that one.
Who's with me !

Andy Shirley 01-06-2006 07:47 AM

....Crickets

Jim Glover 01-07-2006 05:14 PM

**** on that.

I'll stick with power and strength over redundant reps.

That ranks right up there with jogging 6 miles for no good reason.

Kalen Meine 01-07-2006 07:47 PM

I'll have to back Jim up on this one. Think about the best, most blistering, or most interesting WODS you can remember- a few were long- but not that long. Part of the magic is varying the complexity of the exercises, the cycling of reps, rounds, weights, and number of different movements to never drive one exercise to the point of uselessness, and allow one exercise to recover while the body as a whole is still under stress- thus the wonder of intervals and circuits. As one otherwise obnoxious critic pointed out on the front page one day, anyone can create a senselessly painful and crushing WOD by simply adding reps, pounds, and rounds ad nauseum and let the clock run out. He was missing the point that while the workouts may feel that way at the moment, across the board they aren't. Three hours of burpees better fits his complaint.

(Message edited by nyx on January 07, 2006)

David Wood 01-07-2006 08:19 PM

As much as I never want to do this, I'm not sure this was absurdly excessive.

We like to think of CrossFit as preparing us for, well, pretty much *anything*.

So, how about the occasional need for a long, painful slog? I wonder if someday we'll wake up and the WOD will be "Run for 3 hours. Report distance to comments".

Hopefully it won't ever be: "Do 1000 bupees".

GEORGE FISH 01-08-2006 04:02 AM

I'm in, sound stupid and painful. No point training for such an event, which will be more mental fitness than physical fitness. When do we go for it?

Mike Yukish 01-08-2006 09:39 PM

When I ran a marathon, I realized the purpose of running the first twenty miles was to experience the last six. It's a place crossfit won't take you to, but 1000 burpees probably will. And until you've been there, you won't understand it.