CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Running a CrossFit Facility (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Grand Opening, What worked, what didnt? (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=54677)

Matthew Bennett 01-15-2010 10:41 AM

Grand Opening, What worked, what didnt?

I have my grand opening coming up in a month and I have lots of ideas and contacts set up to help but I just wanted other owners feedback on that seemed to work for them and what there patrons liked and did not like.

Thanks

Paul Szoldra 01-15-2010 04:55 PM

Re: Grand Opening, What worked, what didnt?

Matthew,

I'm sure many more can have their input here, but just to help out:

I've been to quite a few Grand Openings and here's some trends:

[B]Introduction[/B]: Lead Trainer gives a good solid 5-10 talk to the crowd on what CrossFit is all about, fitness, etc.

[B]WOD[/B]: Fight Gone Bad. It is easy to set up stations in a straight line and work a lot of people through it.

[B]Specials[/B]: First 50 members that sign up are locked in at XXX price usually gets more interest.

Good luck, and I hope this little bit can help.

Matthew Bennett 01-16-2010 01:04 PM

Thanks for your input. Hope your affiliate is growing....

Terry Dickman 01-19-2010 11:11 PM

We just recently had a re-Grand Opening, we moved. We did about the same as what Paul said expect no special pricing. I think that is good advice. We had 27 people show up for the free WOD, we did a partner WOD AMRAP, similar to FGB but where one partner is resting while the other is working.

Mark Griffith 01-27-2010 11:11 AM

[QUOTE=Paul Szoldra;725207]Matthew,

I'm sure many more can have their input here, but just to help out:

I've been to quite a few Grand Openings and here's some trends:

[B]Introduction[/B]: Lead Trainer gives a good solid 5-10 talk to the crowd on what CrossFit is all about, fitness, etc.

[B]WOD[/B]: Fight Gone Bad. It is easy to set up stations in a straight line and work a lot of people through it.

[B]Specials[/B]: First 50 members that sign up are locked in at XXX price usually gets more interest.

Good luck, and I hope this little bit can help.[/QUOTE]

Excellent!
We added contests like max pullups, and 200M row competition. It's a buck to enter and winner takes all!

Damon Stewart 01-27-2010 10:13 PM

IMHO opinion what works is promoting the **** out of your GO. Instead of thinking of marketing as selling think of it as creating awareness. What can you do so that everyone who matters is aware there's a new CF opening up? We put up posters, left postcards everywhere, had signage, invited everyone and their mom too, and ended up with over 80 people working out and nearly 300 showing up.

Matthew Bennett 01-29-2010 03:52 PM

Thanks guys for all your input. It is all useful information and it will be implemented.