CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39289)

JT Kalnay 02-01-2014 12:43 PM

Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In

Saturday February 1, 2014

Coaching cleans at CrossFit Tiffin.

A nice group of motivated lifters!
It was great to see improved technique and to see some people hit PRs.

Jim Cordes 02-01-2014 02:32 PM

1/31 WOD
A. Overhead Squat, 32X1, 4-5 reps, 4 sets, rest 2-3min
95-115-115-125

B. Every 3:00 for 5 rounds, complete:
10 No-pushup Burpees
10 Push Press 95/65#
20 Switch Lunges
rest remainder of 3:00

Pleased with OHS. The slow tempo assured I got deep enough. 125 was tough but doable. I think a one-rep PR is in sight, maybe even the elusive bodyweight OHS! Each round of B. took about 1:20 to 1:30. Jump lunges were really difficult by the end.

2/1 Saturday WOD/Open Gym
"Nicole"
Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
Run 400 meters
Max rep pull ups
87 reps in 7 rounds (CPC scoring includes one rep per 400M run).
20-14-10-10-10-10-6 pull ups
PR by 4 reps!

Claw

Alden Hingle 02-01-2014 07:25 PM

2/1
Snowshoeing on Red Devil Mountain, CO, in 10" of fresh snow.

Mike Schmale 02-02-2014 07:29 AM

I"m looking for RX and target PR values for men 50 and over.

I've been crossfitting for about 6 months. Apparently sitting at a desk for 20 years doesn't prepare one to keep up with the 20 year old athletes. I know the point is to keep pushing myself wherever I may be, but I'd really like the satisfaction of being able to put that RX next to my times when I do what is officially expected of someone like me rather than waiting until I can do what is expected of the 20 year olds.

Jim Cordes 02-02-2014 01:09 PM

[QUOTE=Mike Schmale;1217175]I"m looking for RX and target PR values for men 50 and over.

I've been crossfitting for about 6 months. Apparently sitting at a desk for 20 years doesn't prepare one to keep up with the 20 year old athletes. I know the point is to keep pushing myself wherever I may be, but I'd really like the satisfaction of being able to put that RX next to my times when I do what is officially expected of someone like me rather than waiting until I can do what is expected of the 20 year olds.[/QUOTE]

Welcome! As far as I know, there aren't really Masters Rx values outside of competitions. Be careful about falling into the Rx trap. Safety first.

That said, I usually do my box WOD's as Rx'd and I am a 51 year old, 155-160 lb. male who has been Crossfitting for 4 years and usually post my results. The regular posters here vary in experience and performance. Maybe find somebody who posts numbers a little better than yours and use them as a "nemesis."

Claw

Patrick Trimbath 02-02-2014 05:01 PM

Mike,

My first post here too. I'm 54 and from reading the previous post it looks like this thread is the place for me to be. I just do what I can do and focus on improvement for now.

I've been Crossfiting on my own for 3 months now. I've had a tendency to try to do too much too soon in the past and ended up with an injury (too much ego). I started out pretty well de-conditioned and I vowed not to do that this time, so I started with 3 rounds of the "official" warmup. I'm doing the WOD now, with some scaling and substitutions for equipment I have available.

Does anyone have any experience with elbow paid from pull-ups? It was probably the 2nd WOD I attempted that involved pull-ups where I had extreme elbow pain - like tennis elbow. I found that I could do them with my palms facing towards me with little pain, but palms facing away from me was causing tendon injury. I've been doing pull-ups palms in since. There is still some pain, but it doesn't seem significant.

Is it a good idea to keep doing this? I don't want to skip the pull-ups as I don't have a good alternative available, but I'd like the tendinitis to heal. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse, but I can't tell that it's getting much better.

Warm-up - 1 Round Crossfit "Official" Warm-Up

WOD
No Olympic Bar - Substitute: MR Front Squats 2 40# Dumbbell = 25 reps
No Row Machine - Substitute 100 vertical pulls 25# Kettlebell 2:17
MR Chair Dips (heels on floor) - 41 reps.

Jim Cordes 02-02-2014 08:56 PM

2/2 WOD at Bacara
"Travis Bickle"
ARMAP 10
3 Burpees
4 Push ups
5 Squats

17 rounds + 2 burpees.
Tried to hold 30 seconds per round but that faded by round 2.

Claw

Jim Cordes 02-02-2014 08:59 PM

For the new folks, if you are on FB you may also want to join the "CF Masters" group. TONS of helpful people and info there. It's a closed group so I will invite you. Send me a private message on Facebook to "Jim Cordes" or my Crossfit alter ego "Claw Fitdude."

Claw

JT Kalnay 02-03-2014 08:18 AM

Sunday February 2, 2014 (Thank God January is over)

Walked two miles dragging 35 pounds.

Which is considerably less than what Peyton Manning is dragging around today, poor guy.

Jim Cordes 02-03-2014 04:09 PM

2/3
A. Skill Session: Jerk Balance, 10:00
Did a bunch at 95, we weren't to go super heavy.

B. EMOTM, 6:00, 3 Hang Power Cleans

+
AMRAP 8:00
3 Dumbbell Snatch (R) plus 6 walking lunges
3 Dumbbell Snatch (L) plus 6 walking lunges
30 Situps
5 rounds + 5 reps.

Used 55# dumbbell for snatches. Unsure whether the walking lunges were to be done with or without the dumbbell overhead. I considered using 1 pood kettlebell for snatches and overhead walking lunges, but decided to go with the flow of the class (and Baker's opinion) that lunges were without dumbbell. Basically, this WOD was primarily a bunch of sit ups.

Claw