CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Digital Coaching (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Deadlift, squat and power clean (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=32530)

John Keiper 06-04-2008 07:54 PM

Re: Deadlift, squat and power clean

David,
I only make these suggestions because if there is a mistake to be made in the squat I have made it! Probably a thousand times! Good luck.

David Gessen 06-05-2008 05:58 AM

Sorry if I was too direct, never thought you would talk about the powerlifting style.
I'm just used to the stupidity on the other boards that are full with people saying 'squatting deep are bad for the knees".

Jason Homesley 06-05-2008 06:53 AM

Here is a tip that works for everything that you are moving from the floor whether it is a dead, clean, or snatch. The start position with your feet should be the same as if you were about to jump onto a box. This will eliminate all wide stances and give you the most power. Then sit back on heals load the hamstrings and drive your hips forward while keeping the lumbar curve in back. Good luck to all.

Jason,

[url]www.tricitiescrossfit.blogspot.com[/url]

Derek Franks 06-05-2008 08:11 AM

[QUOTE=Jason Homesley;325180]Here is a tip that works for everything that you are moving from the floor whether it is a dead, clean, or snatch. The start position with your feet should be the same as if you were about to jump onto a box. This will eliminate all wide stances and give you the most power. Then sit back on heals load the hamstrings and drive your hips forward while keeping the lumbar curve in back. Good luck to all.

Jason,

[url]www.tricitiescrossfit.blogspot.com[/url][/QUOTE]

While not bad advice, I would disagree that eliminating wide stances gives you the most power. There's a reason competitive powerlifters use an extremely wide stance for both squats and DL's. That said, SS, which is what David is following right now, consists of a DL with the stance you describe, but a Squat with a significantly wider stance.

John Keiper 06-05-2008 07:56 PM

[QUOTE=Jason Homesley;325180]Here is a tip that works for everything that you are moving from the floor whether it is a dead, clean, or snatch. The start position with your feet should be the same as if you were about to jump onto a box. This will eliminate all wide stances and give you the most power. Then sit back on heals load the hamstrings and drive your hips forward while keeping the lumbar curve in back. Good luck to all.

Jason,

[url]www.tricitiescrossfit.blogspot.com[/url][/QUOTE]

Another tip along the same lines is to hang from a chin0up bar and drop to the ground. However your feet land is probably your best power stance.

Jason Homesley 06-06-2008 06:14 AM

[QUOTE=Derek Franks;325230]While not bad advice, I would disagree that eliminating wide stances gives you the most power. There's a reason competitive powerlifters use an extremely wide stance for both squats and DL's. That said, SS, which is what David is following right now, consists of a DL with the stance you describe, but a Squat with a significantly wider stance.[/QUOTE]

Derek, if you read what I said, "from the floor" then it makes perfect sense. of course you need a wider stance with a squat this is known as the land or squat position-feet slightly wider than shoulder width. Other than that, feet should be in the start position, jump position. You get the most power with your heels under your hips. You only go wider than shoulders for the squat because it gives more support not power.
The feet should also be under the hips during all shoulder movements, i.e. press, push press, push jerk. But if I continue I might as well start another thread....