CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Prowler and Stair Sprints (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=73122)

Kevin Moore 01-31-2012 10:09 AM

Prowler and Stair Sprints

How many crossfitters out there routinely push the prowler or do stair sprints? How do you incorporate them into your routine? Right now my leg work is strictly stair sprints (skipping every other step) and the prowler.

Ryan Earle 01-31-2012 02:14 PM

Re: Prowler and Stair Sprints

Prowler Drills and more: http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask...technique.html (Worksafe, pics of people working out)

Robert Fabsik 01-31-2012 05:40 PM

I try to use the Prowler every other week and use hill sprints on the other weeks.

I'll try to vary the weight, the length and number of pushes. Usually, but not always the lighter the prowler the more pushes and the longer the duration. Usually load it between 90lbs added to 230lbs added between 4-10 pushes between 50-100 yards per push.

Also when I do more metcons, sometimes I'll sub in the prowler push for shorter runs or create a metcon using the prowler. I usually try to pair it with a press, chin or swing.

Matt Rexin 02-01-2012 09:25 PM

I'm a big fan of simple things like 10-20 40 yd sprints with a mid level of weight. If you combine prowler sprints with weighted carries it can become pretty evil. Try adding in some overhead or unilateral carries.

Oli Kellett 02-01-2012 09:43 PM

I try to use a prowler every week although it's not always available at the gym I go to so I am going to purchase one to have at my home gym.

David Meverden 02-02-2012 06:36 PM

Sleds and prowlers are great, but it takes a lot of space, which I think limits most people that would like to use it more. I would have to drive a sled someplace to really use it (have tried to use a homemade sled in the backyard, but it's so bumpy that the results were not good), and then I'd be worried about messing up grass or concrete I don't own, and of course the gawkers who may interrupt my workout (not a problem in my backyard).

Where do most of you guys use yours?

Oh, and regarding stairs: Where do you guys run stairs? I live in a area with NO hills, and I think most of the stadiums are locked up when not in use. Parking garage I guess? Back in college I'd run stairs in my 9 story dorm. Good workout.

Kevin Moore 02-02-2012 06:49 PM

I use the prowler in my backyard or I'll drive to a local park and push it. I do stair sprints a couple times a week on my lunch break. Nothing like a brutal workout to break up the day.

Eric Montgomery 02-02-2012 06:57 PM

FieldTurf fields are a good spot for sled work. For some reason that stuff is really popular here--one of the local high schools and a public park both have full-sized FieldTurf soccer fields that are typically open.

Shane Cox 02-02-2012 09:55 PM

I just bought a sled tonight at Dick's. They had some there on clearance that were originally $119 marked down to $29. At that price I couldn't pass. Can't wait to try it.

Graeme Moore 02-02-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Meverden (Post 1029878)
Oh, and regarding stairs: Where do you guys run stairs? I live in a area with NO hills, and I think most of the stadiums are locked up when not in use. Parking garage I guess? Back in college I'd run stairs in my 9 story dorm. Good workout.

My work's office has 7 flights of stairs that make up the emergency exit... I just hang about til most folk have left then go run them :D The skill is in not blindsiding the smokers as they're sneaking back in.