CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Testimonials (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Fit by 40 (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=63507)

Lisa Erickson 12-10-2010 08:56 AM

Fit by 40

I spent 12+ years so fat and out of shape I could hardly walk or keep up with my kids. I had hit a "rock bottom moment" at Sea World when I almost rented an electric skooter to get around. I have a condition called PCOS and was told I would be fat and I would have to live with it. But I got the nerve to go the a local globo gym 21 months ago and met my trainer Mando there. He is CrossFit certified and did these workouts with me that I thought were crazy, but I went along with it. I didn't know what CrossFit was. He was just feeding it to me in little easy to swallow amounts. When he opened his own CF affiliate in March this year I left the gym and went with him. I can't believe how far I've come. My mantra has been, "Fit by 40!" In January I will be turning 40. To date I have lost 82 pounds (trying to get to 100lbs lost.) I can't believe some of the things I can do. I hold many of the records at our box for highest one rep max in weightlifting on the board for woman. I'm just a stay-at-home-mom with 2 young kids, is this normal? For me it is. The Paleo diet and CrossFit was exactly what my messed up endocrine system needed. My Dr. Can't believe it! So I am still struggling with the last 20 pounds but it's going to be fun trying to get it off! Thanks CrossFit! I don't know how to put up before and after pictures so here is the link to my blog. See for yourself!
http://allnewmom.wordpress.com/

Jason R O'Dell 12-10-2010 02:28 PM

Re: Fit by 40

I just read your blog too and WOW. Great job. Fit by 40? Sounds like you were fit by 39 easily!

Chantal Brien 12-10-2010 06:40 PM

Awesome work! It's always cool to see people achieve great things despite obstacles in their paths.

Ted Apollo 12-11-2010 03:42 PM

Nice Work! and most importantly it looks like you have made it into a sustainable life style. congrats!

Lisa Erickson 12-11-2010 10:00 PM

Thanks all! I am new to the CF forum and I love it! Doing my first Triathalon tomorrow morning just for fun. Going to think of it as a "chipper" WOD and power through it!

Ted Apollo 12-12-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Erickson (Post 878283)
Thanks all! I am new to the CF forum and I love it! Doing my first Triathalon tomorrow morning just for fun. Going to think of it as a "chipper" WOD and power through it!

awesome! triathlons are so much fun. was it a sprint tri? how did you do?

Casey Crookston 12-16-2010 03:15 PM

Lisa,

Inspiring blog and impressive story! Thank you for taking the time to share.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Erickson (Post 877738)
To date I have lost 82 pounds (trying to get to 100lbs lost.)

I read your post on your blog (dated 12/10/2010) where you were venting about how frustrated you were that those last 20 lbs won't come off. And OH WOW, can I relate! Not that I'll say anything you haven't already considered, but, here's two things I wondered about as I read...

1) I assume you're keeping in mind that muscle weighs more than fat, and that you have no doubt built up a lot of muscle recently.

2) I KNOW I'm going to get myself in trouble for saying this, but I'm going to say it anyways. Have you considered keeping track of calories? (GASP!!)

I started to say more about this, but it was getting too long winded and I could see it hijacking your thread. So I started my own thread here. (safe) Short version: I've come to the conclusion that I was using Palio and Crossfit to over eat, and that to force myself to stop, I needed (for a while at least) to count calories. I'm not saying this is you too, but so far I'm seeing some positive results.

Good luck with those last 20 lbs. I hope you don't mind if I shared the URL of your blog with my wife. She just had out third child eight months ago and is struggling to get back to her pre-pregnancy body.

Thanks again!

Lisa Erickson 12-20-2010 10:22 PM

Thanks...Yes. I know muscle weighs more than fat. I am 5'9 inches and weighed in today at 188. I am super strong and proud of that. I think that 160ish is a reasonable goal for my height and age (almost 40) And yes....I know I should count calories. Blah blah blah. Ok I'll try it tomorrow. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey Crookston (Post 880251)
Lisa,

Inspiring blog and impressive story! Thank you for taking the time to share.

I read your post on your blog (dated 12/10/2010) where you were venting about how frustrated you were that those last 20 lbs won't come off. And OH WOW, can I relate! Not that I'll say anything you haven't already considered, but, here's two things I wondered about as I read...

1) I assume you're keeping in mind that muscle weighs more than fat, and that you have no doubt built up a lot of muscle recently.

2) I KNOW I'm going to get myself in trouble for saying this, but I'm going to say it anyways. Have you considered keeping track of calories? (GASP!!)

I started to say more about this, but it was getting too long winded and I could see it hijacking your thread. So I started my own thread here. (safe) Short version: I've come to the conclusion that I was using Palio and Crossfit to over eat, and that to force myself to stop, I needed (for a while at least) to count calories. I'm not saying this is you too, but so far I'm seeing some positive results.

Good luck with those last 20 lbs. I hope you don't mind if I shared the URL of your blog with my wife. She just had out third child eight months ago and is struggling to get back to her pre-pregnancy body.

Thanks again!

Lisa Erickson 12-20-2010 10:24 PM

Didn't mean that to sound so bratty. I just mean I know I should count calories but I don't.

Jeremy R Johnson 12-21-2010 02:10 PM

Inspiring, Lisa! I sent your blog to a client whose daughter has PCOS. Keep up the good work.

Lisa Erickson 12-21-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy R Johnson (Post 882193)
Inspiring, Lisa! I sent your blog to a client whose daughter has PCOS. Keep up the good work.

Glad you shared it with your client.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEugSir3Emc

Teresa McDermott 12-22-2010 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Erickson (Post 882225)
Glad you shared it with your client.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEugSir3Emc

Awesome video Lisa! Great job in your accomplishments and taking your health back in your hands. Also, I'm from Riverside. Love the place and miss it especially Downtown Wednesdays and the HEAT! Keep up your great work!

Lisa Erickson 12-27-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teresa McDermott (Post 882337)
Awesome video Lisa! Great job in your accomplishments and taking your health back in your hands. Also, I'm from Riverside. Love the place and miss it especially Downtown Wednesdays and the HEAT! Keep up your great work!

Thanks...No more downtown Wednesday nights. But we do have the Farmer's Market on Sat mornings. :D

Piia Eriksson 12-29-2010 11:07 AM

Great job! My goal is a bit like "fit after 40".

Just started CF, done 4 weeks On-Ramp. And today was my first wod. I was so excited doing "Tabata This" and forget to count :o

Robin Kaiser 02-09-2011 02:28 PM

That is so awesome Lisa, very inspirational!! Makes me want to go home and do a awesome workout. Thanks!!

Lisa Erickson 02-10-2011 08:32 AM

Thanks everyone,
Still struggling with the last 18 pounds, so I'll keep you posted. If I could just dial in my nutrition like I do my workouts then I would be right where I want to be.:thanx:

Lisa Erickson 02-10-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Erickson (Post 902005)
Thanks everyone,
Still struggling with the last 18 pounds, so I'll keep you posted. If I could just dial in my nutrition like I do my workouts then I would be right where I want to be.:thanx:

By the way...That new picture is of me doing "Fran" on my birthday prescribed for the first time. (No bands! But can't do more than 2-3 pull ups at a time.) Proud of that moment. My time was 12:43.:pepper:

Lisa Erickson 04-25-2011 09:59 PM

Just wanted to add an update. I weighed in today and I am 8 pounds away from losing 100 pounds. Need to start planning my 100 pound celebration!:kicking0:

By the way...going to be in NYC for a week starting May 2 and I am trying to figure out which box to visit while I am there. Any favorites?

Helen M Brennan 04-25-2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Erickson (Post 930124)
Just wanted to add an update. I weighed in today and I am 8 pounds away from losing 100 pounds. Need to start planning my 100 pound celebration!:kicking0:

By the way...going to be in NYC for a week starting May 2 and I am trying to figure out which box to visit while I am there. Any favorites?

great work Lisa. Congrats on the awsome progress you have made.. always wonderful to see a young'un doing well.:smiley_ev that 100lb loss will be done and dusted before you know it.

In celebration you will need to organise a WOD of 100"s in lieu of a filthy fifty

cheers

H

Lisa Erickson 04-26-2011 06:42 AM

Fantastic Idea! Better than champagne and chocolate cake I guess.;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helen M Brennan (Post 930131)
great work Lisa. Congrats on the awsome progress you have made.. always wonderful to see a young'un doing well.:smiley_ev that 100lb loss will be done and dusted before you know it.

In celebration you will need to organise a WOD of 100"s in lieu of a filthy fifty

cheers

H

Eric R Cohen 04-26-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Erickson (Post 930124)

Crossfit metropolis...Eric L. Is great

Lisa Erickson 04-26-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen (Post 930440)
Crossfit metropolis...Eric L. Is great

Lincoln Brigham 04-26-2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Need to start planning my 100 pound celebration!
Start planning now for an even bigger party to celebrate your 5-year anniversary of keeping it off.

Lisa Erickson 06-07-2011 07:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
5 More Pounds to go!!! Why is this last bit taking so dang long? I have written my 100 pound goal weight on my wrist. This way I have to keep looking at it and reminding myself of my goal.

Helen M Brennan 06-17-2011 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Erickson (Post 945109)
5 More Pounds to go!!! Why is this last bit taking so dang long? I have written my 100 pound goal weight on my wrist. This way I have to keep looking at it and reminding myself of my goal.

because it just takes its own sweet time to depart .. those last lbs are difficult to shift especially as you are now becoming much much fitter and stronger and building muscle. i am willing to bet that you are loosing inches and inches tho. When istarted getting seriously fit everyone was telling me i was not eating enough but my weight remained the same altho clothing sizes were getting smaller and smaller. I was eating all the time but eating clean.

H

Christina Daley 07-12-2011 02:10 PM

I'm so glad to read this. I also have PCOS and have been comtemplating the weight loss surgery. I've been told I can't lose this weight without it.

Scott Walters 07-14-2011 02:31 AM

You certainly CAN loose the weight without the knife, and be so much healthier for it