CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Starting (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Crossfit and bodybuilding (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=1742)

clary miguel 03-24-2007 02:14 AM

I train as a bodybuilder. I've been following Crossfit w/o for three weeks now. I do Crossfit in the AM and body splits in the PM. I'm really beat, and this is my off season! I also practice my routines, take gymnastics ,dance, and rock climb during the week. How can I best incorporated the WOD into my training? Any advice is appreciated, REALLY!

Dave Campbell 03-24-2007 07:14 AM

Clary,
If you want to be a bodybuilder, then you should concentrate on bodybuilding. Trying to do all that you're doing is too much and you're not going to pack on muscle mass. Perhaps keep some of the shorter metcon workouts in your BB program as cardio? This will give you some of the benefits of CF, while not stripping too much muscle mass.

clary miguel 03-24-2007 08:56 AM

Dave,
Thank you for your prompt response. During my off season I experiment w/various training protocols. As I understand it, one can add muscle mass on Crossfit. Should I cut other activities out?

Garrett Smith 03-24-2007 09:12 AM

Clary,
Considering your other cross-training pursuits (gymnastics, rock climbing, dance, posing routines), you don't have the physical recovery capacity to incorporate the WOD into your routine. It's already showing in your fatigue levels.

One can get more muscular on CF. Will pro bodybuilders ever be doing CF as the main part of their routine? No.

Basically, you need to decide what your main goal is and pursue the proven methods to get there--not try and do everything (trust me, I've been there).

Dave Campbell 03-24-2007 10:11 AM

If you eat Zone (which is CF recommended) and do the WOD as your main workout, it's going to be difficult to gain weight. You will gain muscle on CF, but my personal experience is that it's not the showy BB type of muscle. My back (esp. lower back) has become very dense and thick since starting CF about 4 years ago. My biceps and chest haven't gotten much bigger at all, though. I'm 42 and don't really care about being big and buff anymore, although I did when I was your age.
As Garrett said, you need to decide what your main goal is and concentrate on that.

clary miguel 03-24-2007 03:08 PM

Dave and Garrett,
Thank you. I'll continue with the intensity of certain w/o and incorporate them with cardio. Wide shoulders, lean legs, small(ish) waistline, and being totally shredded is still my goal, yes, at my young age of 43!

My blessings and gratitude to you both.

Dan Colson 03-28-2007 07:08 PM

We have quite a bit of experience with clients that choose to compete in bodybuilding. One guy, 38 YOA out of shape not even one good push-up on day one placed 2nd in his first show after 1 year with us (drug free show) A second guy did the same but didn't get as lean and didn't fare as well. Our third guy has done shows for the past 5 years never placing better than 3rd, switched to 100% CrossFit 6 months out from his last show and placed 2nd leaner than he'd ever been drug free of course, in a non tested event in the light heavyweight class.

Your diet will get you lean, as a former competitor/promoter/judge the effects of Crossfit training increase leg size, back width/thickness and the overlooked forearms. Just looking at our guys on stage they might not have won 1st but it was clear who was the strongest guy on stage. All in all leanness was the difference between 2nd and 1st.

clary miguel 03-29-2007 04:06 PM

Dan,
I'm considering crossing over into fitness and may be even figure, so some loss of muscle I can live with. It's the symmetry I'm afraid to compromise. My waist is thicker than some of those girls out there (I can't tell you how hard I work on shoulders and back)! Nonetheless, I have a feeling CF can even out some of my weaknesses. Getting lean enough is always a struggle, but the more I do it the better I get!

Many thanks for responding to my query and showing interest.