CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Exercises (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rapid Increase in Sit-Ups (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=86633)

Andy Kramer 03-25-2014 04:02 PM

Rapid Increase in Sit-Ups

Have a PT Test coming up for a respectable Police Department.

I have to do 37 sit-ups in 1 minute: Fingers interlocked behind the head, a equal-sized man holding your feet to the floor. Elbows must touch your knees on the way up, shoulders touch the floor on the way down. No spiking hips.

I can do 30-31 now. I have to test again in less than a month or so. Any advice on how to RAPIDLY increase the number I can do??

FYI: My diet is 90% PALEO, I do the normal strength routines and WOD on Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri and Sat. Thursday and Sunday are open gym.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!!

Michael Troxell 03-25-2014 04:29 PM

Re: Rapid Increase in Sit-Ups

I have taken the Army fitness test since the early 90's, the only thing helpful for me is doing the sit-ups. Maintaining a constant pace has been the best approach over burning out early. Additionally, I have found it helpful to start with my knees bent more (a** closer to my heels) and then slightly extend my legs as the reps increase. Your body tends to move back naturally, this prevents you from having to waste time re-adjusting your position. Maybe mental, but I also thought I would use a greater number of different muscles by slightly adjusting my position.

The Army has very similar standards for the sit-up evaluation; pretty sure time has proven this event as a poor way to measure"abdominal and hip flexor endurance." Like the Army, most law enforcement agencies are slow to react to changing times.

Lastly, do not let 30-something sit-ups deny you a great career!

Robert D Taylor Jr 03-25-2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Kramer (Post 1225560)
Have a PT Test coming up for a respectable Police Department.

I have to do 37 sit-ups in 1 minute: Fingers interlocked behind the head, a equal-sized man holding your feet to the floor. Elbows must touch your knees on the way up, shoulders touch the floor on the way down. No spiking hips.

I can do 30-31 now. I have to test again in less than a month or so. Any advice on how to RAPIDLY increase the number I can do??

FYI: My diet is 90% PALEO, I do the normal strength routines and WOD on Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri and Sat. Thursday and Sunday are open gym.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!!

In addition to the advice above, I would also do sets of flutter kicks. Nothing improved my sit ups faster than high rep sets of flutter kicks. Since you have a very specific goal, take the time to train specifically for it, at least until you nail it. If you have 30 under non test conditions, I suspect this will not be an issue on test day, as long as your mental is locked on.

Nate Smith 03-26-2014 07:58 AM

Unless they tell you that your feet need to be flat on the ground, try just having your heels on the ground with the person holding your ankles. This usually helps me knock out an extra 5-10 sit ups. It puts less strain on your hip flexors.

Andy Kramer 03-27-2014 03:34 PM

Yep! Feet planted firmly on the ground... no spiking the hips, fingers behind the head, interlocked without fingers separating, knees bent (with a person holding your feet down), elbows must touch your knees... repeat 37 reps in under 60 seconds.

I'm at 30, but after high '20s I start to lose momentum fast.

Enrico Chacon 03-29-2014 04:05 PM

Do not lower your body down but "throw it down", without "spiking" your hips. Should give you another couple of reps before you feel the burn.

Josh Groves 04-03-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Kramer (Post 1225880)
Yep! Feet planted firmly on the ground... no spiking the hips, fingers behind the head, interlocked without fingers separating, knees bent (with a person holding your feet down), elbows must touch your knees... repeat 37 reps in under 60 seconds.

I'm at 30, but after high '20s I start to lose momentum fast.

This is one of those tests that would be good of them to consider the levers of the athlete, but that's not a reality in this world.

You come to this test with 2 disadvantages-
1. You're tall: 6'4" is a lot of lever to move, just based on this alone each rep will take you longer than someone who is 5'9".
2. You're 287 lbs, which means that not only do you have a large lever to move, you've got a large mass on that lever move. This won't just require you to be stronger to move the mass, but will also mean that you will have to actively compress to get the elbows to the knees instead of relying on momentum.

Honestly, it's boring and unsexy, but your best bet is to just hack out sit ups. I'd try 3x15-20, 3 times a day with a 1 minute test once a week, taking every 4th day off. If that puts you in place where you're failing or really struggling, adjust the reps down to where you feel like you are stopping when you're at about 90% of capacity. Likewise, if you start feeling like 15-20 reps is too easy, add reps as needed, but stick with it for a week before going up in reps.

So that would be:
M - 3x 3x15-20
T - 3x 3x15-20
W - 3x 3x15-20
R - Rest
F - Test
S - 3x 3x15-20
Su - 3x 3x15-20
M - Rest
T - 3x 3x15-20
W - 3x 3x15-20
R - 3x 3x15-20
F - Rest
S - Test
etc..

Andy Kramer 04-09-2014 08:00 PM

Thank you for all the help, fellas!

I'm doing more sit-ups, and my coach is programming a lot more sit-ups in the WODs-- ab-mat, weighted, feet-anchored, etc. More planks, more toes-to-bar.

Josh: I'll work on that plan. Thank you.

Josh Groves 04-10-2014 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Kramer (Post 1227597)
Thank you for all the help, fellas!

I'm doing more sit-ups, and my coach is programming a lot more sit-ups in the WODs-- ab-mat, weighted, feet-anchored, etc. More planks, more toes-to-bar.

Josh: I'll work on that plan. Thank you.

You're welcome, and best of luck. Keep in mind that it's just one method. If your local coach is already helping you out though by increasing the amount of situps you're doing, be wary of overdoing it.

Jeff Sprunger 04-10-2014 11:30 PM

And...don't do any ab work 2 days prior to the test. make sure your abs are good and rested on test day.