CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Health and Medical Issues (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Hands and Burns (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=82939)

Aidan Logan 07-04-2013 07:58 PM

Hands and Burns

Just a few quick questions I have. Any and all advice is helpful!

So my hands get beat up pretty badly during the crossfit wods, as do everyones. I chalk up, and sometimes tape up to prevent rips, and of course sometimes that doesn't help either. My hands have callouses in my "problem areas" on my hand, which is good. So i ripped last week and i was letting it heal: cleaning it and putting anti-bacterial ointment on it, etc, the usual stuff I always do. This one part of my hand, underneath the base of my ring finger, is healing more odd that usual though. It hurts to touch, becomes itchy, and still stings under running water. This is not typical for my hands as my usual rips don't continue to do this after a week, and I didnt rip extremely badly either. A few days ago, what I call an "earthquake" happened on the rip site, you know when the little slit in the middle of your rough skin appears, sort of like a bad paper cut. Any advice on how to get rid of this the fastest way possible? I have had them before and they usually heal faster, I do think it is effecting my performance during pull-ups, muscle-up, toes to bar, etc. Hopefully I explained that well enough, if not I''m sure it will heal eventually if I continue to treat it, and hopefully it isn't/won't get infected.

My other question involves a burn I acquired today during the workout "White", which involves rope climbs. I got a pretty bad and large burn on the back of my leg, worse than any I have ever gotten. I have already cleaned it when I took a shower, which hurt like hell. After a few hours, it still hurts to the touch and I have put some aloe liquid on it from a plant I have in my house. Any other home remedies for this burn?

Thank you very much for your time and help!

Nik Nichols 07-05-2013 12:10 PM

Re: Hands and Burns

I think I understand the ''earth quake'' think. I get that some ties in the ''new'' skin inder the reip. I think it is from being dry.

Other then seeing a doctor. I would put pain relief neosporin on it and try to let it dry if you can keep it uncovered.

Same on the leg with the neosporin.

Oh and on the rip I heard of a ''home remedy'' from Chris Clever. Take a use tea bag, put it on the tear, wrap it over night, and it will really help the healing.

Ryan Robertson 07-06-2013 10:13 AM

Aidan - our box has dealt with a large number of tears and many of us have used commercially available hand products such as Climb On! with pretty good success, although it hasn't stopped the tears - it merely helps them heal faster. I've personally dealt with the "earthquake" situation you've mentioned and it's just a part of training while undergoing the healing process. I've had a tough time gripping the bar with tape on my hands, so I've really had to just suck it up, but you may be luckier in that regard.

As for the burn, much like Nik advised, Neosporin would do wonders. I'd say to get some shin skins, but we had a guy burn through them on a rope climb-heavy WoD. Just keep showing up, Aidan - good luck!

Joe Spinelli 07-09-2013 05:39 PM

That hand sounds bad. Have you used super glue to close it up? We have used that with good results.

We did a WOD recently that had something like 30 rope climbs. I burned my leg pretty good and neosporin really helped. Going to try out my new shin skins tomorrow.

One guy is threatening to use a 2-liter coke bottle cut like a shin guard if his new skins don't work out.

Blair Robert Lowe 07-11-2013 02:47 AM

Yeah, even with shin skins they will rub through them. Saw this last year. They give some protection but it's not full proof.

Karina McGill 07-11-2013 12:53 PM

I've investigating solutions for callus tears and shin burns, and the best treatment I have found is using Manuka honey once you have cleaned the wounds with soapy water. Manuka honey is available in medical-grade form, and comes from New Zealand. A compound known as "unique manuka factor" (UMF) is what makes the honey different from what you buy in the honey bears in the super market. UMF has been shown to have antibiotic properties (link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18433338).

I'm not a doctor, but I have used this treatment on my own wounds and those of my six year old and was blown away by the by how quickly our wounds healed. If you're interested in more articles about Manuka honey, I'd be happy to share.

Good luck with your treatment.