CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Testimonials (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=68678)

Christina Daley 07-12-2011 02:03 PM

Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Could you post your before/afters? I want to lose 100 pounds, and am just starting crossfit.

John-Paul Loughrey 07-13-2011 09:55 AM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
What's your starting weight and height like?

It will work - eat clean, proper food, cut out grains and sugar, drink plenty water and stick in with Crossfit. It's that simple.

I've been going for around 6 months now, lost just shy of 30lbs, and around 5% reduction in BF% (from 105kg to 91kg, 25% to 20%) and I've still got a long way to go, especially in strength, though my conditioning and endurance are much better, and I feel great.

However... my clothes are hanging off of me, and it is getting expensive replacing them all.

Got a "Before" pic, it ain't pretty, waiting until the 1 year mark to snap an "After" in full downlight glory. Look up Tamara Cohen's before and after pics - it works.

Leah Lutz 07-13-2011 11:32 AM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
I've lost about 70 lbs. and have another 25 to go. Here is a post about my progress/journey with CF.

http://www.crossfitwest.com/?p=6063 (WFS)

Rebecca Roth 07-13-2011 12:17 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Not me, but a good one - http://aimeesfitnessblog.blogspot.co...-pound-pr.html (wfs)

Mark E. Wallace 07-13-2011 01:07 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Christina Daley (Post 959574)
Could you post your before/afters? I want to lose 100 pounds, and am just starting crossfit.

This guy.

Related link. His gym is so inspired by him that they created a WOD in his honor.

Both links wfs.

- Mark

Steven Low 07-13-2011 03:26 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Losing weight is primarily due to nutrition, not the exercise program you are on.

Of course, exercise does help

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/0...-and-exercise/

Christina Daley 07-13-2011 04:26 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Thanks!

I am a 31 year old woman, 290, and 5'5. I've "tried" for years. I actually work out very regularly and do at least 60 minutes a day anywhere from 4-6 days a week. Some weeks are off, but I'm about 75% on.

I also have PCOS. I've seriously thought about having gastric bypass, but my husband is so against it. Several years ago, I did "atkins"/low carb. I always get back like an addict on sugar.. tired of it.

Anyway, a good friend of mine is big into crossfit, and mentioned paleo to me and I've been reading about it. My biggest issue is keeping myself motivated and on track. I've been doing a lot of emotional healing the past year, and I think I'm starting to get to the point where I can do this.

I've lost 30 pounds since December (but put 10 back on, thanks to weightwatchers).

I'm still digesting the cross fit exercises. I will be honest and say a lot of time I am confused, but I just found out one of the trainers at my gym does some cross fit stuff, so I am looking into that for help.

Thanks for the pics, and please keep them coming. Got my before pics done.

Christina Daley 07-13-2011 04:28 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah Lutz (Post 960055)
I've lost about 70 lbs. and have another 25 to go. Here is a post about my progress/journey with CF.

http://www.crossfitwest.com/?p=6063 (WFS)

Thanks, you look GREAT!

John-Paul Loughrey 07-13-2011 05:01 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
I am by no means an expert, but it seems to me you are motivated, and you've started making the right sorts of enquiries and thinking along the right lines.

I would suggest making some goals with numbers. Like losing 100lbs, for instance. Doing 10 push ups. That sort of thing.

Having something to aim for gives you something to think about to motivate yourself to get down to the gym. Also, try and find a CF gym to go to, or at least train with someone else doing Crossfit style workouts - the community aspect and support makes a big difference. Also, plan your reward. A new outfit, a holiday, something to aim for.

Setting Goals: http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/0...eving-goals/1/ (link wfs)

Christina Daley 07-13-2011 05:38 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Yes, My goal is 100 pounds by January.. of which I'm down 80. I'm not big on the January part, just the 100 for now. Obviously I want to lose more than that. But that is my big goal for now. I will assess later.

All I want is to lose this weight and be healthy. My son is active (4.5) and already plays soccer, and wants to play lacrosse and I want to help coach. I do not want to be the embarrassing fat mom. LOL

Darika Siegel 07-13-2011 05:39 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Good luck, Christina. It may be easier to break up the weight loss in smaller goals so you don't seem overwhelmed. Say 10 pounds by September, and keep making new goals each time one has been reached.

Jason Peacock 07-13-2011 10:28 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
An amazing woman at my gym, Jules, lost 160lbs in a year:

http://crossfitseattle.com/archives/796 (WFS)

I remember when she first started CF, it was very challenging for her but she stuck with it. Now she's competing nationally as a master's Oly lifter.

David Baxter 07-14-2011 02:04 AM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
I've lost 20KG since starting both Xfit and Paleo back in March 12th this year - I've also increased all of my PB's on the bench , deadlift Thrusters , Back & front squats and decreased my 5KM time by 22 mins ( I started @ 43 mins now down to 21 :)) I can post Before and now shots - but have a look <------ :pepper:

I trained heavily on running in the 1st few weeks then smashed in to Metcons and weights - mainly the WOD's that could push me with heavy strength sets -- and I feel so so much better for it - you will loose the weight etc if you stick to eating clean and pushing your boundaries when you do the WOD's

John-Paul Loughrey 07-14-2011 04:03 AM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darika Siegel (Post 960227)
Good luck, Christina. It may be easier to break up the weight loss in smaller goals so you don't seem overwhelmed. Say 10 pounds by September, and keep making new goals each time one has been reached.

:yeahthat:

Good luck, and keep posting here!

Christina Daley 07-14-2011 02:38 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by David Baxter (Post 960333)
I've lost 20KG since starting both Xfit and Paleo back in March 12th this year - I've also increased all of my PB's on the bench , deadlift Thrusters , Back & front squats and decreased my 5KM time by 22 mins ( I started @ 43 mins now down to 21 :)) I can post Before and now shots - but have a look <------ :pepper:

I trained heavily on running in the 1st few weeks then smashed in to Metcons and weights - mainly the WOD's that could push me with heavy strength sets -- and I feel so so much better for it - you will loose the weight etc if you stick to eating clean and pushing your boundaries when you do the WOD's


Wow. Nice abs!!

Thanks everyone. I might be annoying. I am going to see a guy at the gym so he can help me figure this stuff out. I'm no beginner to working out, but jumping on those boxes and some of the gymnastic stuff is very intimidating.

I'm already down 5 pounds this week, just from really getting into paleo. :kicking0:

Christina Daley 07-14-2011 02:40 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Peacock (Post 960315)
An amazing woman at my gym, Jules, lost 160lbs in a year:

http://crossfitseattle.com/archives/796 (WFS)

I remember when she first started CF, it was very challenging for her but she stuck with it. Now she's competing nationally as a master's Oly lifter.

Wow, that is amazing! Hopefully that will be me one day!

Steven Low 07-14-2011 04:45 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Christina Daley (Post 960183)
Thanks!

I am a 31 year old woman, 290, and 5'5. I've "tried" for years. I actually work out very regularly and do at least 60 minutes a day anywhere from 4-6 days a week. Some weeks are off, but I'm about 75% on.

I also have PCOS. I've seriously thought about having gastric bypass, but my husband is so against it. Several years ago, I did "atkins"/low carb. I always get back like an addict on sugar.. tired of it.

Anyway, a good friend of mine is big into crossfit, and mentioned paleo to me and I've been reading about it. My biggest issue is keeping myself motivated and on track. I've been doing a lot of emotional healing the past year, and I think I'm starting to get to the point where I can do this.

I've lost 30 pounds since December (but put 10 back on, thanks to weightwatchers).

I'm still digesting the cross fit exercises. I will be honest and say a lot of time I am confused, but I just found out one of the trainers at my gym does some cross fit stuff, so I am looking into that for help.

Thanks for the pics, and please keep them coming. Got my before pics done.

Stay on Paleo.

Challenge yourself. Tell your friends. Do whatever needs to be done.

You seem like you have "nutritional ADD" where you're gonna jump from program to program. You need to be consistent, and eat high quality foods.

I promise if you avoid sugar for long enough the cravings go away. But you have to avoid the cravings long enough for them to go away.

Christina Daley 07-14-2011 06:49 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 960725)
Stay on Paleo.

Challenge yourself. Tell your friends. Do whatever needs to be done.

You seem like you have "nutritional ADD" where you're gonna jump from program to program. You need to be consistent, and eat high quality foods.

I promise if you avoid sugar for long enough the cravings go away. But you have to avoid the cravings long enough for them to go away.

It seems like anything anyone ever wants to do is damn go out to eat.

You are probably right, I've tried many different plans. Did lowcarb/Atkins years ago.. Really started getting serious this past december, just did 1500 calories a day, started losing and heard everyone loved weightwatchers. WW gives me too much freedom to eat crap/sugar, and then I get sidetracked.

I've known this is the right plan, but like I said, one temptation and taste of sugar, and I 'blow' it. I'm trying.. blogging and I put everything into myfitnesspal.com. I know what I have to do, its staying on the path even when I want to stray. Biggest problems for me is emotionally eating during stress. Hopefully by perusing the boards here I can keep my goal in mind!

Shawn M Smith 07-16-2011 01:51 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
I started doing CrossFit in January of this year at 5'10", ~220# and ~30% BF. I do not follow strict paleo, but I do eat clean (my primary non-paleo offenders are beans, oatmeal and yogurt).

As of this morning, I weigh 194# and am at about 16% BF. (If you do the math, you'll realize I lost about 25#, but also gained about 9# of lean muscle mass.)

Also just this morning, the following happened:

-I set a 5K PR (25:10) on a hilly course by nearly 5 minutes

-After the run I completed an unscaled Fran in 8:34 after being unable to do one single unassisted pullup or one 95# thruster in January

-I went to Banana Republic to buy clothes for a wedding next weekend and bought pants that were three sizes smaller than I used to wear and learned that I now wear medium (M!) shirts after previously being comfortable in XLs.

And that was just today... Everyday I find that I've made some new improvement in some category and that's the beauty of CrossFit. There are so many aspects that you can improve. I'm not trying to brag at all, but I do think it's important to realize that it's not just about your weight. Yes, you'll lose weight, but you'll get healthier, stronger, faster and happier as other side effects.

Stick with the program and don't beat yourself up when you make a mis-step or have a brownie or whatever. Just get back on the horse and resolve to do a little bit better each day and seriously before you know it, you'll be a whole new you.

Good luck in your journey!

David Baxter 07-16-2011 11:19 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn M Smith (Post 961421)
I started doing CrossFit in January of this year at 5'10", ~220# and ~30% BF. I do not follow strict paleo, but I do eat clean (my primary non-paleo offenders are beans, oatmeal and yogurt).

As of this morning, I weigh 194# and am at about 16% BF. (If you do the math, you'll realize I lost about 25#, but also gained about 9# of lean muscle mass.)

Also just this morning, the following happened:

-I set a 5K PR (25:10) on a hilly course by nearly 5 minutes

-After the run I completed an unscaled Fran in 8:34 after being unable to do one single unassisted pullup or one 95# thruster in January

-I went to Banana Republic to buy clothes for a wedding next weekend and bought pants that were three sizes smaller than I used to wear and learned that I now wear medium (M!) shirts after previously being comfortable in XLs.

And that was just today... Everyday I find that I've made some new improvement in some category and that's the beauty of CrossFit. There are so many aspects that you can improve. I'm not trying to brag at all, but I do think it's important to realize that it's not just about your weight. Yes, you'll lose weight, but you'll get healthier, stronger, faster and happier as other side effects.

Stick with the program and don't beat yourself up when you make a mis-step or have a brownie or whatever. Just get back on the horse and resolve to do a little bit better each day and seriously before you know it, you'll be a whole new you.

Good luck in your journey!

outstanding !!! well done - see if you stick to it (Xfit & Paleo) the weight will drop off

Christina Daley 07-17-2011 08:16 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn M Smith (Post 961421)
I started doing CrossFit in January of this year at 5'10", ~220# and ~30% BF. I do not follow strict paleo, but I do eat clean (my primary non-paleo offenders are beans, oatmeal and yogurt).

As of this morning, I weigh 194# and am at about 16% BF. (If you do the math, you'll realize I lost about 25#, but also gained about 9# of lean muscle mass.)

Also just this morning, the following happened:

-I set a 5K PR (25:10) on a hilly course by nearly 5 minutes

-After the run I completed an unscaled Fran in 8:34 after being unable to do one single unassisted pullup or one 95# thruster in January

-I went to Banana Republic to buy clothes for a wedding next weekend and bought pants that were three sizes smaller than I used to wear and learned that I now wear medium (M!) shirts after previously being comfortable in XLs.

And that was just today... Everyday I find that I've made some new improvement in some category and that's the beauty of CrossFit. There are so many aspects that you can improve. I'm not trying to brag at all, but I do think it's important to realize that it's not just about your weight. Yes, you'll lose weight, but you'll get healthier, stronger, faster and happier as other side effects.

Stick with the program and don't beat yourself up when you make a mis-step or have a brownie or whatever. Just get back on the horse and resolve to do a little bit better each day and seriously before you know it, you'll be a whole new you.

Good luck in your journey!

That is awesome, great job! Thanks for sharing with me. :) And medium banana republic is pretty damn good.

Colin McNulty 07-20-2011 12:14 AM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Depends what you call "significant". I lost a significant amount of weight, for me.

Before and after pics here: http://www.colinmcnulty.com/blog/200...diet-crossfit/ (wfs).

Doug Blankenship 07-20-2011 09:29 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
I lost over 157 pounds in a little over year. Sorry, I don't have access to any of the pictures from this computer but I once upon a time posted them on this fourm.

Jason Peacock 07-21-2011 07:06 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
I finally started doing strict paleo (instead of 'paleo for two meals then cheat the third'). I've lost 15lbs in the last 2 months, and am setting PRs.

250lbs -> 235lbs, got at least another 15 to go!

Christina Daley 07-23-2011 09:14 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Colin, you look great.

Jason, good for you. :)

Mara Rozitis 07-24-2011 04:57 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
I haven't lost a lot of weight, but my body has changed. I don't have regular pics at the moment, but this will give you a good idea of how much my body has changed in a year of CrossFit and mostly Paleo. My diet could still be better. I plan to post my own testimonial once I get all my pictures together. http://members.shaw.ca/singlemanwpg/front.swf

Mara Rozitis 07-24-2011 06:12 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Oops. Link is WFS but it is a fat girl in skimpy shorts and sports bra. ^^^

Christina Daley 07-27-2011 07:33 AM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Thanks Mara.. Looks like a pretty big difference to me!

Justin McGinley 07-28-2011 08:46 AM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
I talked to a guy yesterday from another gym that lost 110lbs by eating paleo and lifting heavy things.

Christina Daley 07-29-2011 12:02 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Awesome! I hope that will be me one day.

I'm down 8 pounds now.

David Baxter 07-30-2011 03:42 AM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
congrats !!!!

Bethany L Graham 08-05-2011 06:41 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
I started Crossfit in May 2010 and was what I thought was 100 pounds overweight. After bodyfat testing, it was more like 90 pounds overweight. I have eaten semi-Paleo this whole time and have lost 45 pounds of fat and gained 5 pounds of muscle. When I say semi, I mean about 75% of the time-allowing myself freedom when I ate out or when on vacations.

I am very happy with my progress because this is my lifestyle now - it is not a diet for me. I still have 45 more pounds to go, but have no question that I will go the whole way. From the beginning, I said it would probably take 2 years to do it right and really establish this as my lifestyle and I am on that trajectory.

I am now starting to eat Paleo closer to 90% of the time. I feel better when I eat Paleo and have finally been able to make the mental shift over.

The most important thing I would say to anyone starting with a huge amount of weight to lose is this - do not approach Crossfit as a quick fix diet and exercise program. This is a life change and it requires a change of mind. It takes time. Give yourself grace. If you go off the reservation or skip a workout, so what? Get up, dust yourself off and keep going. If you can, figure out why you made the decision you did and make a different one next time.

Crossfit and Paleo are the best decisions I ever made for my life and now I have tons of friends trying it because they love what they have seen in my life - results...but more than that...passion and joy. You can do this. Remember fueling your body is 80% of this battle. Treat it well by what you put in it...it will also blow you away at how much of a difference it makes at Crossfit!

Yes, my strength has increased, my endurance has increased, my joy for life is back. Do it. You won't regret it.

David Baxter 08-05-2011 09:48 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bethany L Graham (Post 971230)
I started Crossfit in May 2010 and was what I thought was 100 pounds overweight. After bodyfat testing, it was more like 90 pounds overweight. I have eaten semi-Paleo this whole time and have lost 45 pounds of fat and gained 5 pounds of muscle. When I say semi, I mean about 75% of the time-allowing myself freedom when I ate out or when on vacations.

I am very happy with my progress because this is my lifestyle now - it is not a diet for me. I still have 45 more pounds to go, but have no question that I will go the whole way. From the beginning, I said it would probably take 2 years to do it right and really establish this as my lifestyle and I am on that trajectory.

I am now starting to eat Paleo closer to 90% of the time. I feel better when I eat Paleo and have finally been able to make the mental shift over.

The most important thing I would say to anyone starting with a huge amount of weight to lose is this - do not approach Crossfit as a quick fix diet and exercise program. This is a life change and it requires a change of mind. It takes time. Give yourself grace. If you go off the reservation or skip a workout, so what? Get up, dust yourself off and keep going. If you can, figure out why you made the decision you did and make a different one next time.

Crossfit and Paleo are the best decisions I ever made for my life and now I have tons of friends trying it because they love what they have seen in my life - results...but more than that...passion and joy. You can do this. Remember fueling your body is 80% of this battle. Treat it well by what you put in it...it will also blow you away at how much of a difference it makes at Crossfit!

Yes, my strength has increased, my endurance has increased, my joy for life is back. Do it. You won't regret it.

awesome bloody awesome

Eric Robison 08-06-2011 06:39 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
I started CrossFit/Paleo just after Easter. I weighed in at my heaviest ever at 204lbs at 5-10 and 31yo. I was determined to change and I am currently at 180 (-24lbs). I feel better than I have in a long time. I wish that I had taken a before picture. I plan on getting a body fat comp done soon in a BodPod. My goal by the end of the month is to be down to 18% body fat.

David Baxter 08-06-2011 10:24 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Robison (Post 971522)
I started CrossFit/Paleo just after Easter. I weighed in at my heaviest ever at 204lbs at 5-10 and 31yo. I was determined to change and I am currently at 180 (-24lbs). I feel better than I have in a long time. I wish that I had taken a before picture. I plan on getting a body fat comp done soon in a BodPod. My goal by the end of the month is to be down to 18% body fat.


Hey Eric !! another Sandgroper !!!;)

Bethany France 08-10-2011 01:28 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
I have lost 60 pounds in about 5 months - my goal is to lose a total of 100 by January 2012. To see photos and read about all of my ups and downs...check out my blog at:

www.fatmomtohealthymom.blogspot.com

Crossfit is the best thing that ever happened to me...seriously!:)

Jonathan Groves 08-13-2011 04:54 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=69494 wfs

Dave Traeger 08-13-2011 08:25 PM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by David Baxter (Post 971563)
Hey Eric !! another Sandgroper !!!;)

No, that's WA as in Washington, not Western Australia :rofl:

Shelly Griswold 08-14-2011 06:20 AM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Wow! I'm so glad to have found this thread. At this point, I only have a "before" picture. I am 46 years old and have been working with a CF trainer for 7 weeks now. I started at 39.2% BF and 286#. My first day I could barely make it through a super-scaled-back WOD (What's more scaled than "puppy"? That's what it was.)

Seven weeks later, I've already seen some nice gains, especially in my endurance. I work on the 3rd floor and was winded by the time I reached the top - now I jog up the stairs every morning. I used to be athletic (long, long ago) and have read that if you have ever been in shape, your body has a memory of that and can get that back. Maybe that's true, because I am stunned by how much more in shape I am after only 7 weeks.

More importantly, I see MENTAL gains. When I started, I was scared to death that if I exerted myself too much, I was going to keel over with a heart attack. I'm so over that now. And I was so self-conscious about how I looked in the gym with all the fit and trim people. Over that, too. I go there, bust my butt like everyone else, and have nothing to be ashamed about, as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the inspirational before and after pics! I can't wait to post my own very soon!

Steve Gillanders 08-14-2011 11:18 AM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?
 
Awesome thread!

You guys are all really inspiring :thanx:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.