CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Getting on the right college diet, Paleo and IF (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=29101)

Granger L Vinall 03-18-2008 09:27 AM

Getting on the right college diet, Paleo and IF

I am a college student up in the mile high city, Denver. I have been off cross fit for about 10 weeks do to an intensive course load. But i rode my fixed gear bike every day so my legs are still solid.

I am trying to get on a good routine diet. I am not overweight, in my eyes, at all, 6'3" 170 12%. I just need to get my muscles back in order.

I don't want to create large muscle mass, i like to maintain a Yoga/Swimming sort of physique.

I am wondering if the Paleo/IF set up will work well with crossfit and yoga to keep my body lean, but tone up.

Also, is crossfit going to make me too muscly? I really do not want to be buff. But i do like the routine ness of cross fit and the look of the Paleo/IF diet.

Lastly, there doesnt seem to be any stickies on this site, where should i go to learn about Paleo/IF, sifting through threads of peoples questions that don't match my own hasn't worked well so far.

Robert Olajos 03-18-2008 10:51 AM

Re: Getting on the right college diet, Paleo and IF

Well, you could 'black box' it (ha ha, see my previous post to you). CF isn't bodybuilding. And of course someone who does CF with paleo/IF will look different from someone who does the same WO but eats like a horse. I have a little experience with CF/paleo/IF, but not enough to draw conclusions. From seeing other people in the same boat, I would argue that CF/paleo/IF will not lead to huge muscles, but will lead to a very lean, low BF physique.

Google paleo diet and intermittent fasting. See also WFS www.paleodiet.com

Sarena Kopciel 03-18-2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granger L Vinall (Post 275489)
I am a college student up in the mile high city, Denver. I have been off cross fit for about 10 weeks do to an intensive course load. But i rode my fixed gear bike every day so my legs are still solid.

I am trying to get on a good routine diet. I am not overweight, in my eyes, at all, 6'3" 170 12%. I just need to get my muscles back in order.

I don't want to create large muscle mass, i like to maintain a Yoga/Swimming sort of physique.

I am wondering if the Paleo/IF set up will work well with crossfit and yoga to keep my body lean, but tone up.

Also, is crossfit going to make me too muscly? I really do not want to be buff. But i do like the routine ness of cross fit and the look of the Paleo/IF diet.

Lastly, there doesnt seem to be any stickies on this site, where should i go to learn about Paleo/IF, sifting through threads of peoples questions that don't match my own hasn't worked well so far.

Robb Wolf has written a lot about Paleo/IF. and CF. For more IF specifics checks out Mike OD's new blog.
wfs

Ben Kimmerle 03-18-2008 12:38 PM

If you don't want to "bulk up", then just watch what you eat. If you eat excess calories you will get bigger, but if you maintain your current food intake (or maybe a little more to support your workouts) you shouldn't get huge.

Mike ODonnell 06-13-2008 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Olajos (Post 275530)
I would argue that CF/paleo/IF will not lead to huge muscles, but will lead to a very lean, low BF physique.

I agree with Robert. It takes alot of effort and eating to get "huge" on IF.....and if you lose fat and replace it with muscle you will still be skinnier looking as fat takes up more room than muscle. Eat clean, try IF if you like it.....I am sure you will like the results. Considering also most muscle size is really based on glycogen and water....a lower carb approach will always leave you looking slimmer.

Elliot Fuller 06-13-2008 11:05 PM

I'll just add that you're probably on the right track with the IF/Paleo. Zone is a great alternative or addition, but as a college student, many have found that it's pretty difficult to do. If you can keep up with the game with IF/Paleo, then it's a really great plan.