CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Nik Nichols 07-27-2012 09:01 AM

Re: Nik

10:00 break
dailt squat
115lbs x3
185lbs x1
235lbs x1
285lbs x1
330lbs(150k) x1

time 4:26

all easy and smooth, last one slow but good. Feel great from it.

Patrick Haskell 07-27-2012 10:07 AM

[QUOTE=Luke Seubert;1081250]Hey Nik! Just a friendly note of warning about doing max reps on a lift, thereby going to MMF, aka Momentary Muscle Failure. From what I have read, taking a heavy lift to MMF causes a lot of stress on the muscle, obviously; but it causes a tremendous amount of CNS stress. As in, it takes about a week for the central nervous system to fully recover so one can engage in a similar or better heavy lift once more. During that week, your work capacity is significantly impaired. Given the frequency of your workouts and the need for consistently high work capacity, you might want to avoid MMF exercises.

While I have read this in several places, my primary source for this information is Ross Enamait, a very well regarded and highly knowledgeable trainer of boxers and MMA fighters. His training programs are about as nasty as you can find, and he always recommends lifting a few reps short of max reps, to avoid neural fatigue.

Just a friendly heads up. :)[/QUOTE]

Good point. When Wendler is talking about max reps, he's talking about max training reps. You leave a rep or two in the tank and stop when your form breaks down. Anyways, you have a logical progression going, and it's starting to feel heavy. There's been some good groundwork laid. It wouldn't make sense to start messing with it now and adding max reps right when the program is about to show results.

Nik Nichols 07-27-2012 11:47 AM

[QUOTE=Patrick Haskell;1081374]Good point. When Wendler is talking about max reps, he's talking about max training reps. You leave a rep or two in the tank and stop when your form breaks down. Anyways, you have a logical progression going, and it's starting to feel heavy. There's been some good groundwork laid. It wouldn't make sense to start messing with it now and adding max reps right when the program is about to show results.[/QUOTE]

True, and on leaving room in the tank is what I was going to do and not go to true failier.

I still might add in a rep or two at the end, we will see after next week. I deload next week.

Nik Nichols 07-27-2012 11:51 AM

FridayOn July 27th, 2012,

Squat-Clean 2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

135lbs x2
165lbs x2
185lbs x2
185lbs x2
185lbs x2
185lbs x2
205lbs x2
205lbs(93k) x2

stopped here3 for time, I gave myself 20:00min so I'd have time to warm up on the press and do the workout.
For time:
10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,&1 Rep rounds of Pushpress (60kg/35kg)
30 Bar hops between each round

time 14:36

bar hops brutal and brok to sets of 10s on later rounds, push press unbroken but some sets were singles rerack go again not the pogo type.

Scott Jenkins 07-27-2012 02:10 PM

Excellent work NIk, strong squat cleans. I found the push press quite easy, the bar hops though were a different thing, they burnt crap out of my legs.

Nik Nichols 07-27-2012 02:23 PM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;1081445]Excellent work NIk, strong squat cleans. I found the push press quite easy, the bar hops though were a different thing, they burnt crap out of my legs.[/QUOTE]

exactly, my push press was ok, but like I said there were some sets, like set 7 I'd hit 4 fast then have to rack dip drive ect. Slow. The hops were NASTY!! Leg burning bad.

Nik Nichols 07-27-2012 02:29 PM

3:00 break,

double under work, nothing big and a 1000m walk to get out of the shop and clear my head a bit.

Luke Seubert 07-28-2012 03:12 AM

[QUOTE=Patrick Haskell;1081374]Good point. When Wendler is talking about max reps, he's talking about max training reps. You leave a rep or two in the tank and stop when your form breaks down. Anyways, you have a logical progression going, and it's starting to feel heavy. There's been some good groundwork laid. It wouldn't make sense to start messing with it now and adding max reps right when the program is about to show results.[/QUOTE]
Apparently the research backing up excess neural fatigue due to going all the way to momentary muscle failure is fairly widespread and accepted among folks who actually care about exercise physiology and sports science.

I think the idea still gets around though, because it was part of the old Nautilus machine protocol. Back in the day (yeah, I did some Nautilus when I was a foolish, young lad), they advocated 1 set of 8 to 12 reps per body part, taken all the way to failure for a true strength and muscle building workout. Uh huh. And while it is safe to take a Nautilus chest press all the way to MMF, unlike say, a barbell bench press; the neural fatigue is highly counterproductive. And Nautilus makes how many tens of millions selling those things? Yeesh.

Nik Nichols 07-30-2012 07:19 AM

I have had a rough weekend.

Friday night I had to drive up to my brothers and spent the night on his couch, we worked on his truck all day sat, Sunday I only went swiming ans smoe how strained my back and it is in bits today. Lower left sid as always.

Nik Nichols 07-30-2012 07:21 AM

A.M. warm up
30 GHDs
30 back ext
10 HSPUs
30 abmatt situps
10 wide C2B dead hang pullups
10 HSPUs
30 squats
10 HSPUs
20 BF kip