CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Patrick Haskell 07-26-2012 10:42 AM

Re: Nik

How are you doing the 5/3/1? Is this some variation that Anthony programmd for you? Are you not pushing for max reps on your last set each day?

Nik Nichols 07-26-2012 12:09 PM

[QUOTE=Patrick Haskell;1081048]How are you doing the 5/3/1? Is this some variation that Anthony programmd for you? Are you not pushing for max reps on your last set each day?[/QUOTE]

Yes on Anthony, and no on the max reps each day, he did'nt say to do it, I will ask him about it and make sure. I was on the 5/3/1 for a bit and did the max reps last set but, like I said Anthony set it up for me.

I can't wait to be pushing heavier, next week is deload and the next cycle will be demanding and I'm looking forward to it.

Nik Nichols 07-26-2012 12:14 PM

ThursdayOn July 26th, 2012
Weighted Pullups 4-4-4-4-4-4
all 6 set with 53lbs KB( 24k) on the min style

AMRAP in 8 Minutes of:
6 Burpee Box Jumps (30/24")
8 KB Swings (24/12kg)

7 rounds even

burpees were tough, I did not stop on the ground but took a breath or two on the box, still a slog but steady and never stopped moving.

Finisher: Run 1000m for time. 4:46
I was suprised that my legs felt as good as I did. I had to keep telling myself that it was not bad to run. I expected it to be really tough and heavy but it wasn't.

Nik Nichols 07-26-2012 02:27 PM

3:00 break
stretch
couch stretch on wall 2:00min a side
ham stretch with band 2:00min a side

I wanted to lift again after such a good day today, but I chose to not. Hard decision.

Scott Jenkins 07-26-2012 02:29 PM

Strong Nik , especially with the on the minute pull ups. Nice work on the amrap, you got about the same as Matt Williams.

Nik Nichols 07-26-2012 02:33 PM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;1081119]Strong Nik , especially with the on the minute pull ups. Nice work on the amrap, you got about the same as Matt Williams.[/QUOTE]

BOOO same as Matt, I should have smoked the boy!!;)

Matthew Williams 07-26-2012 02:43 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;1081120]BOOO same as Matt, I should have smoked the boy!!;)[/QUOTE]

Haha, you wish Nik :D

Luke Seubert 07-27-2012 03:30 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;1081069]Yes on Anthony, and no on the max reps each day, he did'nt say to do it, I will ask him about it and make sure.[/QUOTE]
Hey Nik! Just a friendly note of warning about doing max reps on a lift, thereby going to MMF, aka Momentary Muscle Failure. From what I have read, taking a heavy lift to MMF causes a lot of stress on the muscle, obviously; but it causes a tremendous amount of CNS stress. As in, it takes about a week for the central nervous system to fully recover so one can engage in a similar or better heavy lift once more. During that week, your work capacity is significantly impaired. Given the frequency of your workouts and the need for consistently high work capacity, you might want to avoid MMF exercises.

While I have read this in several places, my primary source for this information is Ross Enamait, a very well regarded and highly knowledgeable trainer of boxers and MMA fighters. His training programs are about as nasty as you can find, and he always recommends lifting a few reps short of max reps, to avoid neural fatigue.

Just a friendly heads up. :)

Nik Nichols 07-27-2012 06:16 AM

[QUOTE=Matthew Williams;1081124]Haha, you wish Nik :D[/QUOTE]
Yes i do every day, and to smoke Scotty too!
[QUOTE=Luke Seubert;1081250]Hey Nik! Just a friendly note of warning about doing max reps on a lift, thereby going to MMF, aka Momentary Muscle Failure. From what I have read, taking a heavy lift to MMF causes a lot of stress on the muscle, obviously; but it causes a tremendous amount of CNS stress. As in, it takes about a week for the central nervous system to fully recover so one can engage in a similar or better heavy lift once more. During that week, your work capacity is significantly impaired. Given the frequency of your workouts and the need for consistently high work capacity, you might want to avoid MMF exercises.

While I have read this in several places, my primary source for this information is Ross Enamait, a very well regarded and highly knowledgeable trainer of boxers and MMA fighters. His training programs are about as nasty as you can find, and he always recommends lifting a few reps short of max reps, to avoid neural fatigue.

Just a friendly heads up. :)[/QUOTE]

Luke. great point! I will do that and not go to failier for sure. But I will be pushing my main strength lifts.

Nik Nichols 07-27-2012 06:58 AM

A.M. warm up

30 ghds
30 back ext
10 HSPUs
30 abmatt situps
10 HSPUs
30 BF kipp pull ups
30 squats
10 HSPUs

rolled my back 2:00min