CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Nik Nichols 03-05-2010 09:16 AM

Re: Nik

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;748941]From reading all your replies I think it is quite simple. You say do more BLANK. I say do more of what Brady beats you at. A great example of what you should be doing is Nancy, Kelly or Nicole. All test your running with no breaks and hard metcon exercises inbetween runs.[/QUOTE]

Good point, running breathless. Running when I fell like I can't. Getting strong and being able to run harder in a metcon.

Nik Nichols 03-05-2010 09:16 AM

10:00 break, Warm up was OHS's up to 135lbs. That is it for me.

Scott Jenkins 03-05-2010 10:54 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;749392]10:00 break, Warm up was OHS's up to 135lbs. That is it for me.[/QUOTE]

Remember you can rest the bar on the back of your neck during the OHS, saves getting the weight back up there again as even with a rack its not high enough.

Nik Nichols 03-05-2010 12:03 PM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;749451]Remember you can rest the bar on the back of your neck during the OHS, saves getting the weight back up there again as even with a rack its not high enough.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Scott, I wish that would have helped me, but 135 was way hard on me.

Nik Nichols 03-05-2010 12:08 PM

21-15-9 reps of:
225 pound Deadlift
135 pound Overhead squat
RX'd
time 16:16

Deads were easy, my grip is the only reason I broke at all.

OHS's on the other hand were hard. I did ok on the first 7or so reps, but My shoulders started to give way. .

Dropped the bar on second set once.
Dropped the bar twice on the the thidr set. My shoulders just couldn't stand up to that much reps. I got done and my shoulders were screaming! I thought about rolling them for a second they hurt so bad. But it passed quick enough.

Ernie Guevara 03-05-2010 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;749504]21-15-9 reps of:
225 pound Deadlift
135 pound Overhead squat
RX'd
time 16:16

Deads were easy, my grip is the only reason I broke at all.

OHS's on the other hand were hard. I did ok on the first 7or so reps, but My shoulders started to give way. .

Dropped the bar on second set once.
Dropped the bar twice on the the thidr set. My shoulders just couldn't stand up to that much reps. I got done and my shoulders were screaming! I thought about rolling them for a second they hurt so bad. But it passed quick enough.[/QUOTE]

That's still a decent time nik! Good job doing it rxd cuz a lot of people on the main page comments are scaling the ohs. I hope my shoulders last me as long as yours since I did the shoulder press wod yesterday lol.

Laurie Smith 03-05-2010 12:19 PM

Oh the burn! :o You did great Nik. Those overheads are killer and to do them RX'd!! :yikes:

Nik Nichols 03-05-2010 02:21 PM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;749510]That's still a decent time nik! Good job doing it rxd cuz a lot of people on the main page comments are scaling the ohs. I hope my shoulders last me as long as yours since I did the shoulder press wod yesterday lol.[/QUOTE]
Yea, after checking the coments page, I did n't do to bad, or everyone else sucked!! I'm happy with it.
Funny thing is, the only reason I went with 135 is I thought about the max the other day. I thought'' Well, I got 170 up, so I know I can do 135.'' But I didn't think about the fact that I got the 170 as 1 rep. It never hit me about repping the 135. I am blissfully dumb some times, and it workes to my advantage.
[QUOTE=Laurie Smith;749512]Oh the burn! :o You did great Nik. Those overheads are killer and to do them RX'd!! :yikes:[/QUOTE]

Oh man was it burning. Thanks. I can't wait to see how you do.

Nik Nichols 03-05-2010 07:07 PM

Ug what an up hill battle. I have work home I have to do, I don't really have any idea when I'm going to get a chance to do the workout and left wrist where I tore it has split open in two placews. Tomarrow will be intresting to say the least.:)

Laurie Smith 03-05-2010 09:12 PM

Perhaps a rest day? :D I'm actually feeling a bit burned out and will do a light wod tomorrow and rest again on Sunday.

Scott Jenkins 03-06-2010 01:35 AM

Well done on getting those OHS as rxd Nik, really wish I could join you with that WOD but having to rest.

On todays WOD , there will be loads of people with tears on there wrists from the last muscle ups still, mine will be too sore, the only thing I can think of for you is to hold the rings more in the hands.

Nik Nichols 03-06-2010 05:36 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;749746]Well done on getting those OHS as rxd Nik, really wish I could join you with that WOD but having to rest.

On todays WOD , there will be loads of people with tears on there wrists from the last muscle ups still, mine will be too sore, the only thing I can think of for you is to hold the rings more in the hands.[/QUOTE]

Scott REST!!! Your Dr said to, listen to him.

As for today, I'll try to reposition my hands, but i have to tape the split up. It hurts to the touck. I peel the skin off and the new skin under it got dry and split so i have two suts in there too. But I'll get through it, bleeding if i hasve to.

Off to do it now.

Nik Nichols 03-06-2010 06:43 AM

For time:
5 Muscle-ups
95 pound Back squat, 15 reps
10 Muscle-ups
95 pound Back squat, 30 reps
15 Muscle-ups
95 pound Back squat, 45 reps
10 Muscle-ups
95 pound Back squat, 30 reps
5 Muscle-ups
95 pound Back squat, 15 reps

time 35:27

MU's were not strict turnouts.
Tape held my tear pretty good, had to retape , or add more tape during the workout.
MU's were okish. got some 3reps bu nch of 2's bunch of singles, some walking arround the forklift between sets of MU's.
Squats were tough from the deads yesterday, it was suprising how sore my legs were, but did fine on them.

Happy enough with it, Good workout.

Scott Jenkins 03-06-2010 11:55 AM

Fine session there Nik, your so lucky to be able to hit that WOD and the time is fast for all those MU's

Nik Nichols 03-06-2010 06:03 PM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;749830]Fine session there Nik, your so lucky to be able to hit that WOD and the time is fast for all those MU's[/QUOTE]

Thanks, It wasnt fast at all. The truth is my back is a wreck too, and the only reason I went up that early to do it was to try to loosen it up.

I have found my old Dr, and now have to make an apointment and get the time off to go see him. But he isnt a pill pusher and he worked my back a couple of years back. So I hope, like you that get this sorted out for good.

Scott Jenkins 03-07-2010 02:15 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;749950]Thanks, It wasnt fast at all. The truth is my back is a wreck too, and the only reason I went up that early to do it was to try to loosen it up.

I have found my old Dr, and now have to make an apointment and get the time off to go see him. But he isnt a pill pusher and he worked my back a couple of years back. So I hope, like you that get this sorted out for good.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear this Nik, you know I understand how you feel, its so annoying and people tell you to be patient and all you want to say to them is - I have been patient for years, now I want rid of it.

Hope your appointment goes well mate, get yourself well read up on different lower back issues so you can question him and understand for yourself because nothing beats a good diagnosis from the chiro combined with your own self awareness of your body.

Nik Nichols 03-07-2010 06:18 AM

"Helen"

Three rounds for time:
Run 400 meters
1 1/2 pood Kettlebell X 21 swings (or 55 pound dumbbell swing)
12 Pull-ups

time 11:04.

My back sucks.

Scott Jenkins 03-07-2010 09:09 AM

You got it done then, well done for that Nik. Whats your symptoms right now, mine vary every time it plays up. Is the pain towards the centre or outer parts of the lower back, I would be interested to know as I have read a lot and might be able to help.

Ernie Guevara 03-07-2010 10:46 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;750042]"Helen"

Three rounds for time:
Run 400 meters
1 1/2 pood Kettlebell X 21 swings (or 55 pound dumbbell swing)
12 Pull-ups

time 11:04.

My back sucks.[/QUOTE]

was your back hurting during the swings? Mine is a bit sore from the deadlift/ohs wod. I might hit the other 2 wods later today. Good job finishing it nik even with the discomfort on your back!

Nik Nichols 03-08-2010 07:12 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;750072]You got it done then, well done for that Nik. Whats your symptoms right now, mine vary every time it plays up. Is the pain towards the centre or outer parts of the lower back, I would be interested to know as I have read a lot and might be able to help.[/QUOTE]

Its a freakin disk. I feel it pop. When I sit for a wile(when I sit I feel ok) and get up it hurts real bad. Then once I'm up for a wile I feel fine. Little sore, but ok. If I lean back with my hand on my hips and strech it will pop once in a wile. It is causeing pain in my leg too.

Working out so far helps it. The more I do, the better it feels. The KB swings were rough though. By the third round I felt pretty good. I was limping on the first run.

So far I am doing all my streches for it, changed how I sleep for it. Exercize for it. I don't know when I can get to the DR, but I am working on going. Time off is almost imposible right now. We down sized and I'm the only one in the shop to referb equipment and ship. It will have to be a morning thing if I can swing it, of on a SAT if they are open.

Oh Ibuprofen to sleep. I have taken it off and on for a couple of weeks. I try not to take it if I can. Only at night so far.

How is yous?

Nik Nichols 03-08-2010 07:13 AM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;750093]was your back hurting during the swings? Mine is a bit sore from the deadlift/ohs wod. I might hit the other 2 wods later today. Good job finishing it nik even with the discomfort on your back![/QUOTE]

My back has been a mess for at least two weeks. See my reply to Scott. I was using great for on the swings, cheating them would have put me on the floor.

Scott Jenkins 03-08-2010 07:39 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;750331]Its a freakin disk. I feel it pop. When I sit for a wile(when I sit I feel ok) and get up it hurts real bad. Then once I'm up for a wile I feel fine. Little sore, but ok. If I lean back with my hand on my hips and strech it will pop once in a wile. It is causeing pain in my leg too.

Working out so far helps it. The more I do, the better it feels. The KB swings were rough though. By the third round I felt pretty good. I was limping on the first run.

So far I am doing all my streches for it, changed how I sleep for it. Exercize for it. I don't know when I can get to the DR, but I am working on going. Time off is almost imposible right now. We down sized and I'm the only one in the shop to referb equipment and ship. It will have to be a morning thing if I can swing it, of on a SAT if they are open.

Oh Ibuprofen to sleep. I have taken it off and on for a couple of weeks. I try not to take it if I can. Only at night so far.

How is yous?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you definately need to get to see someone and somebody good, also Ernie could get he's Chiro brother to look at your description of symptoms to see what he thinks in the meantime. Ive seen glute activation exercises are good for your particular back issue Nik. Mines good today, but that means nothing, it was great last Wednesday before I worked out, comes and goes all the time so we will see how I get on later.

I totally understand not having time to go , with full time work and your family it must be impossible to find the time . Im currently not even registered with a doctor, apparently mine died in 1987, only found out last year and have not re-registered yet.

Nik Nichols 03-08-2010 11:37 AM

Well I have an apointment on Thusday morning at 8:15am with my DR. I hope we get this figured out and I can go in the direction I need to get this healed and stronger so I can get past this.

Laurie Smith 03-08-2010 12:07 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;750452]Well I have an apointment on Thusday morning at 8:15am with my DR. I hope we get this figured out and I can go in the direction I need to get this healed and stronger so I can get past this.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear about your back Nik. Hope it's nothing major. :(

Camille Lore 03-08-2010 12:40 PM

Shoot. Sorry to hear you're injured. :(
Definitely keep us posted.

Nik Nichols 03-08-2010 02:14 PM

[QUOTE=Laurie Smith;750483]Sorry to hear about your back Nik. Hope it's nothing major. :([/QUOTE]

Thanks.
Honestly it has been going on for two weeks now. Working out eases it. Sitting still it gets sore.
[QUOTE=Camille Lore;750505]Shoot. Sorry to hear you're injured. :(
Definitely keep us posted.[/QUOTE]

Hey Camille!! Thanks I'll get it figured out and when I do I'll workup a program and my back will be rock solid. I'm sick of it, I have to fix it. I hope you are feeling better too.

Leon Robotham 03-08-2010 02:20 PM

Sorry to hear the back's still jipping you fella, nothong worse than that at all!!

Nik Nichols 03-08-2010 02:21 PM

[QUOTE=Leon Robotham;750564]Sorry to hear the back's still jipping you fella, nothong worse than that at all!![/QUOTE]

I will get it fixed!!:ranting2:

Leon Robotham 03-08-2010 02:26 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;750565]I will get it fixed!!:ranting2:[/QUOTE]

Get it seen to and then if you can get access to a reverse hyper you should be good. Louie Simmons has some nice articles out about it. Also a vid on the journal today actually!

Nik Nichols 03-08-2010 02:28 PM

[QUOTE=Leon Robotham;750569]Get it seen to and then if you can get access to a reverse hyper you should be good. Louie Simmons has some nice articles out about it. Also a vid on the journal today actually![/QUOTE]

Saw it, started doing them unweighted last week, will weight them when Doc clears me, or I'm not in pain from it. I will have back abs!!

Nik Nichols 03-09-2010 07:27 AM

Todays WOD looks shakey for me. I may have to bow out. I will see how my breaks go if I do it at all.

Scott Jenkins 03-09-2010 07:32 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;750828]Todays WOD looks shakey for me. I may have to bow out. I will see how my breaks go if I do it at all.[/QUOTE]

Program for yourself until your back is good or at least until you see the Dr on thursday. Just pick a few exercises that do not give you any problems and hit them, good time to do your own stuff as me and ernie will be self-programming for our sectionals so you wont be alone.

Nik Nichols 03-09-2010 12:03 PM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;750832]Program for yourself until your back is good or at least until you see the Dr on thursday. Just pick a few exercises that do not give you any problems and hit them, good time to do your own stuff as me and ernie will be self-programming for our sectionals so you wont be alone.[/QUOTE]

Well I took your advice Scott. Thanks by the way.

Nik Nichols 03-09-2010 12:09 PM

Own programming for my back. I would have buthered up todays WOD or hurt my back on the HSPU's.

My programming

Fran with 115lbs(52K?)
Time 11:19

Front squat help my back. So I did thrusters. I spent alot of time looking at the bar. Really all the time was at the bar. All pullups C2B un broken. The rest of the time was at the bar.

Then straighyt after
time 31:41
Ran straight out of the shop and into a head wind all the way to the turn arround. It became an exercize of not stopping. By the grace of God i didn't stop. Back feels good now. Legs do not!;)

Ernie Guevara 03-09-2010 02:29 PM

Dang nik I can't believe you did a 5k after the heavy Fran lol. You are one brave man! Good work bro!

Nik Nichols 03-09-2010 02:30 PM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;751043]Dang nik I can't believe you did a 5k after the heavy Fran lol. You are one brave man! Good work bro![/QUOTE]

My granny could have done both faster!!:rofl: But it felt good.

Leon Robotham 03-09-2010 02:34 PM

:rofl:

Glad the back feel better but the fact that the legs are now hammered from Fran and the run is hilarious. I hope it hasn't just blotted the back pain out though haha.

Scott Jenkins 03-10-2010 04:51 AM

Sounds good Nik, you should do what you feel is best more often or whenever your back is playing up as it seems to have lifted your mood and helped. Great news that its feeling better.

Nik Nichols 03-10-2010 07:09 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;751234]Sounds good Nik, you should do what you feel is best more often or whenever your back is playing up as it seems to have lifted your mood and helped. Great news that its feeling better.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Scott. You see through the internet pretty well. I can't wait to get to the Dr tomarrow. All though I'm afraid he will tell me to stop the workout.

I will tell him what I'm doing to ease it and what makes it feel better, so i hope at best he limites me.

Yesterday eased the pain pretty well. But sore this morning as usual. The more I work it the better it feels, but after sleep, I'm all sore all over again. I'm about to go back and see what I can do this morning at loosen up a little.

I don't know about deadlift. If it hurt I'm not doing it.

Oh as for yesterday I thought to myself, ''fran at 115 will be a good warmup for a 5K, it will only be a few min's and I'm running.''

Marianne Urbanski 03-10-2010 07:19 AM

Nik, you crack me up with your pain and then Heavy Fran AND a 5K run (that sounds horrible too!)...
What about "rest and recover'!?! or even Stretch and recover!? I will be curious to see what the DR says.. i hope you are feeling better though!!
:)