CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Starting (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Just finished the Crossfit intro this week...a little nervous (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=58358)

Taide Baez 05-21-2010 08:38 AM

Just finished the Crossfit intro this week...a little nervous
 
Hello everyone! I just joined Crossfit this week at a box near my house. We needed to complete a week of the intro stuff and we start the "real deal" on Monday. This week, we did (2) 4 minute drills - push-ups, burpies, jerks, bf situps, etc. It was doable but I stayed and watched another "real" class and it looked insane. Needless to say, I'm now intimidated. I am not an athlete. I have worked out on/off for the last 12 years. I'm 30 years young. :) I'll always get into my workouts for a few months or a year and then get bored and not do anything for another few months. I joined crossfit because I heard that it's always something different and the camaraderie keeps you motivated. But after seeing what the regular classes do, I'm nervous. I'm not overweight but wouldn't mind losing a few pounds but more than anything I want to get strong and toned. Any words of encouragement for a newbie?

:thanx:

Nic Kirkland 05-21-2010 08:45 AM

Re: Just finished the Crossfit intro this week...a little nervous
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taide Baez (Post 787076)
Hello everyone! I just joined Crossfit this week at a box near my house. We needed to complete a week of the intro stuff and we start the "real deal" on Monday. This week, we did (2) 4 minute drills - push-ups, burpies, jerks, bf situps, etc. It was doable but I stayed and watched another "real" class and it looked insane. Needless to say, I'm now intimidated. I am not an athlete. I have worked out on/off for the last 12 years. I'm 30 years young. :) I'll always get into my workouts for a few months or a year and then get bored and not do anything for another few months. I joined crossfit because I heard that it's always something different and the camaraderie keeps you motivated. But after seeing what the regular classes do, I'm nervous. I'm not overweight but wouldn't mind losing a few pounds but more than anything I want to get strong and toned. Any words of encouragement for a newbie?

:thanx:

Everyone starts somewhere. Most of those people in the "real" class started at the same place you are: deconditioned and nervous about it. Just like anything else, the more you put into it, the more you'll get out of it. Have your trainer help you in cleaning up your diet. Make some friends with the folks you workout with, don't be shy! I guarantee if you honestly commit yourself to the program you will see results and impress yourself over time.

Katie Rice 05-21-2010 09:39 AM

Re: Just finished the Crossfit intro this week...a little nervous
 
Its natural to be a little nervous anytime you start something new (especially if it is challenging). My best advice would be to just get in there and give it a shot. Remember, one of the many great things about crossfit is that it is scalable. Although the workouts in the "real" class will be tough and you will end up doing things that didn't seem possible you won't be asked to do anything that is truly beyond your ability. Also, I have found that I get extreme satisfaction out of finishing WODs that seemed nearly impossible when I first saw them up on the whiteboard.

Good luck and I hope you have as much fun in your group classes as I have had since I finished the intro classes at my box 2 months ago.

Jamie J. Skibicki 05-21-2010 09:47 AM

Re: Just finished the Crossfit intro this week...a little nervous
 
Most people started out weak and slow. Some where that way a long time ago, some where that not too long ago. If someone forgets where they started and gives you hell, they are a douchbag and should be discounted out of had.

"I'm not overweight but wouldn't mind losing a few pounds but more than anything I want to get strong and toned"

Unless you compete in a sport that has weightclasses, the number on the scale is the least important number. THe weight on the bar, the number of reps, the time or th edistance are all much better measures of progress. Focuas on those and everything else will come.

"and toned"

Please never use that word again.

Andrew Schechterly 05-21-2010 10:51 AM

Re: Just finished the Crossfit intro this week...a little nervous
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki (Post 787098)
"and toned"

Please never use that word again.

You keep me young.



Anyway, I started out weak and slow as hell and 35ish pounds lighter than I am now. Now, I'd consider myself fairly strong and fast for my weight (168ish).

I've been doing CF for about 6 months total, solidly at least. I never get bored and I look forward to every day more than I did to the previous day.

My advice is don't place too much emphasis on what others are doing. Sure, aspire to do those things but don't judge yourself against them. Chances are they've been at it much longer. Only take a look at your own progress and try your hardest every single time you train.

Chad Racine 05-21-2010 11:37 AM

Re: Just finished the Crossfit intro this week...a little nervous
 
Everybody Starts somewhere. The nice thing about Crossfit is that all of the workouts are scalable so if you can't do a workout as listed, you can do something more reasonable. (But still try to push yourself! You'd be surprised! ;))


Because you've already done a week of the intro, you should know what you can take and what you can't.


But remember that nobody will judge you for having to scale down a workout or substituting anything, they started there too! :D

James White 05-21-2010 10:42 PM

Re: Just finished the Crossfit intro this week...a little nervous
 
This is a good thread. Nice to hear encouraging words from folks who've been doing this awhile. Sometimes reading the WOD comments, I just read a first name and an elite time and think "I'm not up to those standards (and maybe never will be)". I won't ever be someone else, so all I can do is build a better me. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Daniel Hubbard 05-21-2010 11:17 PM

Re: Just finished the Crossfit intro this week...a little nervous
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by James White (Post 787354)
This is a good thread. Nice to hear encouraging words from folks who've been doing this awhile. Sometimes reading the WOD comments, I just read a first name and an elite time and think "I'm not up to those standards (and maybe never will be)". I won't ever be someone else, so all I can do is build a better me. Thanks for the reminder. :)

I do the same thing. I spot names in the comments and immediately compare my times to the elites, then deride myself for not meeting their times.

This thread reminds me of my first Crossfit workout (how weird is it that the word 'crossfit' gets the spellcheck redline?) I had just returned from a deployment where I had put on 20 pounds of muscle by 'lifting'. My buddy, a firefighter, invited me to come to the station for a crossfit workout. I went and never felt more out of shape in my life. Talk about letting the air out of my balloon! I had just put on 20 pounds of muscle. I was feeling SO fit. The really cool thing, is that while I have seen a lot of "eliteist" comments on the forum here, I have yet to meet someone with that attitude in person. I've worked out at 3 different Crossfit gyms and have always felt like a guest of honor.

The fact that you show up for a Crossfit workout - makes you more 'elite' than 98% of the rest of the world.

cheers,
-hub

Chad Racine 05-22-2010 11:47 AM

Re: Just finished the Crossfit intro this week...a little nervous
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Hubbard (Post 787357)
The really cool thing, is that while I have seen a lot of "eliteist" comments on the forum here, I have yet to meet someone with that attitude in person. I've worked out at 3 different Crossfit gyms and have always felt like a guest of honor.

The fact that you show up for a Crossfit workout - makes you more 'elite' than 98% of the rest of the world.

cheers,
-hub

Yeah, everybody treats everybody the same. I like the fact that no matter what level you're at, you get treated the same.

'Tis true. We get more exercise it 20-40 minutes then most people get in a week.

Andrew Schechterly 05-22-2010 11:56 AM

Re: Just finished the Crossfit intro this week...a little nervous
 
I have always wondered whether it is the people that make CrossFit so inviting or CrossFit that makes the people so inviting?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.