CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Exercises (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rowing settings (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=41562)

Eric Kropp 01-14-2009 05:36 PM

Rowing settings

What setting do you usually put your rower on? I usually have it at the 10th setting, but I just wanted to know if anyone does it differently.

George Mounce 01-14-2009 05:47 PM

Re: Rowing settings

5 as that simulates a sculler for the air density at my elevation. You'll find most people to simulate that type of boat use 3-5. You are doing more of a grandpa's row boat type of setting.

Eric Kropp 01-14-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Mounce (Post 493504)
5 as that simulates a sculler for the air density at my elevation. You'll find most people to simulate that type of boat use 3-5. You are doing more of a grandpa's row boat type of setting.

By that do you mean the work isn't as intense? Cause if so I'll try a different setting

George Mounce 01-14-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Kropp (Post 493619)
By that do you mean the work isn't as intense? Cause if so I'll try a different setting

Intensity in rowing is generally defined as your stroke rate in strokes per minute. The drag is the type of boat. You can row a sculler intensely or you can row a row boat intensely.

Eric Kropp 01-14-2009 08:13 PM

Alright thanks for the info, I think I'm going to try it on the 4th or 5th setting.

Caz Berkowitz 01-15-2009 03:12 PM

It's helped me to think of the C2 settings as the gears on a bike.

You can row intensely in 1st gear or in 10th. Some people will be more efficient at different length workouts at different gears.

So choose the gear suitable for your body and that day's row.

Gabriel desGarennes 01-15-2009 03:57 PM

First off a Disclaimer, i have had very little formal training with a c2 rower other than through my time in crossfit.

I personally row at the upper part of 5. I recommend that most of my clients start somewhere around 4-5 on the damper and get a feel for their specific sweet spot.

basically, you are doing the SAME amount of work if you row a 1:45 500m whether you have the damper set on 1 or 10 or anywhere in between. The difference is how much force is required to pull the chain, and thus how far that chain pushes your virtual boat.

I am under the impression that you want to find the damper setting that allows you the lowest time and the lowest strokes per minute.

I know alot of big guys who row at 10, and they pull fast times. But when they are done they are absolutely SMOKED and i can pull just about the same time, more efficiently at 5 and not be smoked.

You want to avoid having the damper too low, and thus having to do alot more strokes to get the same time.

just my .02, and like i said i'm hardly a rowing expert

George Mounce 01-15-2009 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel desGarennes (Post 494385)
First off a Disclaimer, i have had very little formal training with a c2 rower other than through my time in crossfit.

I personally row at the upper part of 5. I recommend that most of my clients start somewhere around 4-5 on the damper and get a feel for their specific sweet spot.

basically, you are doing the SAME amount of work if you row a 1:45 500m whether you have the damper set on 1 or 10 or anywhere in between. The difference is how much force is required to pull the chain, and thus how far that chain pushes your virtual boat.

I am under the impression that you want to find the damper setting that allows you the lowest time and the lowest strokes per minute.

I know alot of big guys who row at 10, and they pull fast times. But when they are done they are absolutely SMOKED and i can pull just about the same time, more efficiently at 5 and not be smoked.

You want to avoid having the damper too low, and thus having to do alot more strokes to get the same time.

just my .02, and like i said i'm hardly a rowing expert

Lowest isn't an exactly correct way of thinking about it. I posted a link to a study on strokes per minute at the elite level in Nancy Cohen's workout log that may be of interest to some.

Karin Jonczak 01-15-2009 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caz Berkowitz (Post 494351)
It's helped me to think of the C2 settings as the gears on a bike.

You can row intensely in 1st gear or in 10th. Some people will be more efficient at different length workouts at different gears.

So choose the gear suitable for your body and that day's row.

That is hands down the BEST explanation I have heard!!

KK

:thanx:

John Scheer 01-23-2009 08:31 PM

I row with the damper on 10 during a workout. I've found that it helps me slow down my stokes per minute while 'traveling' at a good pace.

At 10 I'm pulling 26 or 27 strokes per minute at about a 1.42/500m pace.

At 5-7 I pull more like 30-32 for the same pace, which seems to torch my lungs something fierce.

My usless two cents :cool: