CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Scott Jenkins 03-01-2010 03:02 AM

Re: Nik

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;746675]I know what you mean, I find when I get tired I want to kip harder, all out of shape and exagerrated. but if I can keep calm and kip like I know to, I do more. There reall is alot of energy lost in a kip. Refinement is key..

I think I see what you mean, once you are going up, pull, instead of letting the kip carry you up. I have got to get off my lazty butt and film some kips and get it better. And show the example of the ''up'' kip. I figure it is like kipping on rings. You have to go up on rings, there is no back and forth momentum.[/QUOTE]

Talking of kipping style, was doing some at the affiliate Friday and my left calve muscle cramped up bad so I was not only kipping but flapping my leg about like mad trying not to stop, managed it but it was definately a new style.

The main thing is to change the kip depending on the amount of reps. For Cindy you only ever do 5 reps so can employ a really fast kip (straight up & down) but for say Angie you may need to go for the steady longer range kip.

75 muscle ups today Nik, 300 squats and 115 GHD's!! Bring it on.

Nik Nichols 03-01-2010 07:36 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;746792]Talking of kipping style, was doing some at the affiliate Friday and my left calve muscle cramped up bad so I was not only kipping but flapping my leg about like mad trying not to stop, managed it but it was definately a new style.

The main thing is to change the kip depending on the amount of reps. For Cindy you only ever do 5 reps so can employ a really fast kip (straight up & down) but for say Angie you may need to go for the steady longer range kip.

75 muscle ups today Nik, 300 squats and 115 GHD's!! Bring it on.[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA that calf crap kip sounds crazy. Somthi ng I learned or heard really that you kind of hit on. The butterfly kips is fast, but not very sustainable(I hear, I don't really do them) So they are good for fast short rep workouts. But you burnout faster.

Regular kip like we do is more sustainable for big reps. Somthing to think about. I have been working on this very thing, trying to get it down to me doing it, not me hearing it, and see what is best.

Yea, another Hero. Joe Cam hit it in just under 30min. I'll go hard as I can, GHS's will be the the slow factor for me. MU's will be slow, but steady, GHD's , they drop off fast.

100squats will just suck. I'll go hard. Really my mind on the last few new Heros is on the famillys. I can't even begin to understand what they are going through. I wish I could see that they are ok and well taken care of. My heart goes out to them. My prayer and suffering will have to do.;)

Nik Nichols 03-01-2010 09:21 AM

10:00 break.
I was doing a light warm up, working on butterfly kip and tore my blood blister from Saturday's workout. So I'm starting todays workout with a tear. I cleand up the edges and the rest of my calluses with a razor. I did a few more sets of pullups testing it and it seems to be fine. Eh what are ya gonna do?:shrug:

Ernie Guevara 03-01-2010 10:10 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;746911]10:00 break.
I was doing a light warm up, working on butterfly kip and tore my blood blister from Saturday's workout. So I'm starting todays workout with a tear. I cleand up the edges and the rest of my calluses with a razor. I did a few more sets of pullups testing it and it seems to be fine. Eh what are ya gonna do?:shrug:[/QUOTE]

I don't think you should worry much about the blister. If you keep the hook grip good then you should feel it on the blister. What part of your hand is the blister on?

Nik Nichols 03-01-2010 10:14 AM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;746953]I don't think you should worry much about the blister. If you keep the hook grip good then you should feel it on the blister. What part of your hand is the blister on?[/QUOTE]

It is where we usually get them from pullups under the ring finger upper palm area. I could do pullups fine with it so I don't expect much from the MU's. I will be taping my wrist too. I already cut callouses off my wrist and hands in prep.

Nik Nichols 03-01-2010 12:26 PM

"War Frank"

Three rounds for time of:
25 Muscle-ups
100 Squats
35 GHD situps

time 57:58

last round was the hardest, Second roing MU's in doubles, Third round I started missing tried to keep in in doubles but had a bunch of singles.

MU's were not strict wrist flick.

Squats were squats.

GHD's were Hard, last round for sure tough.

Tore my left wrist on the last 4 reps of MU's

RIP Frank. Prayers for youyr familly.

Laurie Smith 03-01-2010 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;747050]"War Frank"

25 Muscle-ups
100 Squats
35 GHD situps

last round was the hardest, Second roing MU's in doubles, Third round i started missing tried to keep in in doubles but had a bunch of singles.

Squats were squats.

RIP Frank. Prayers for youyr familly.[/QUOTE]

Oh bugger! :eek: If it took you that long to finish this one, it's going to take me all night. :(

Nik Nichols 03-01-2010 12:33 PM

[QUOTE=Laurie Smith;747054]Oh bugger! :eek: If it took you that long to finish this one, it's going to take me all night. :([/QUOTE]

Na Brady Scaled it and got done with all of it by the start of my second round. Last round was really slow I got fatugied on the MUs and had to rest to be able to get another one.I missed a bunch at rep 15 going to 16, I missed like 5 reps till I rested long enough and got focused enough to get it.

Ernie Guevara 03-01-2010 01:19 PM

oughta way to keep at it nik! Never give up especially on hero wods!:highfive:oh and thank you for the taping tips. I'll wrap it around my thumbs and wrist tostart off and hopefully that will hold up for the entire wod. I'll be doing it in about 4 hours and getting real anxious!

25 Muscle-ups
100 Squats
35 GHD situps

last round was the hardest, Second roing MU's in doubles, Third round I started missing tried to keep in in doubles but had a bunch of singles.

Squats were squats.

Leon Robotham 03-01-2010 01:42 PM

25 Muscle-ups
100 Squats
35 GHD situps

Squats were squats.

Twas all about the MUs ay!? Killer session fella

Nik Nichols 03-01-2010 02:07 PM

[QUOTE=Leon Robotham;747106]Twas all about the MUs ay!? Killer session fella[/QUOTE]

Yea MU's got hard on the last round, There was a point wher i wasn't sure of getting past reps 15. but took a bit more break and got going again.

Jesse Emers 03-01-2010 08:03 PM

Fantastic job on that workout Nik. Wasn't it about 3/4 of a year back that you first got the 30MU for time as rx? I'd say you made some quick progress.

Scott Jenkins 03-02-2010 01:15 AM

You put in a great fight there Nik, tape or no tape its near impossible to get through that amount of work without ripping your wrists.

Nik Nichols 03-02-2010 07:37 AM

[QUOTE=Jesse Emers;747292]Fantastic job on that workout Nik. Wasn't it about 3/4 of a year back that you first got the 30MU for time as rx? I'd say you made some quick progress.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Jesse, you are right. I look at everything linerly, so i don't look at progress like that, thank for the eye opener. I am happy with it, that is alot of dang MU's.
[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;747354]You put in a great fight there Nik, tape or no tape its near impossible to get through that amount of work without ripping your wrists.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Scott, first two rounds weren't bad, last round my arms were cooked. Like I said on rep 16 I missed 4or 5 reps atleast, I thought that was it. I thought I was done. But I took a rest walked arround a bit prayed focused and got mad. then i got it back. At the end it came down to skill. Strenth was failing, I had to use skill to make up for it. Big kips hands tight to body, shove head through wait for it to settel kick up from dip.

It was worth the hour for alot of reasond. Frank himself, getting it done(most MU's ever for me) and the value of the skill work needed for it includiing the GHD's.

Scott Jenkins 03-02-2010 07:45 AM

That's what Fergus does also with the HSPU's , he gets up and walks then comes back to the wall, works well for him.

I put on my log a fact about todays WOD you might of missed, putting it on here as well to make sure you see. Its 8 x [B]400m[/B] runs , not 800m.

Nik Nichols 03-02-2010 08:03 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;747455]That's what Fergus does also with the HSPU's , he gets up and walks then comes back to the wall, works well for him.

I put on my log a fact about todays WOD you might of missed, putting it on here as well to make sure you see. Its 8 x [B]400m[/B] runs , not 800m.[/QUOTE]

400's, How did I get 800's? Oh well thanks Scott, you know me.:o

Nik Nichols 03-02-2010 09:18 AM

10:00 break
30 GHD's (20/10)yes more of them
30 abmatt situps no weight
3x10 pullups
3x10 dips (on bar, no ring)
30 Camille pushups
30 squat30 back ext 30lbs

1MU to see if I could, easy except for the tear hurt.

Scott Jenkins 03-02-2010 10:21 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;747465]400's, How did I get 800's? Oh well thanks Scott, you know me.:o[/QUOTE]

You got 800m because it says right above the 400m 8 rounds, looked at old comments and you was not the only one to make that mistake.

Nik Nichols 03-02-2010 11:55 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;747561]You got 800m because it says right above the 400m 8 rounds, looked at old comments and you was not the only one to make that mistake.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you cleard that up I'd still be running.:run:

Nik Nichols 03-02-2010 11:57 AM

8 rounds of:
Run 400 meters
Rest 90 seconds

time 23:15 (with out the last break

Runs on the street with stop and turn at the 200m mark. That was good, I was able to keep up on intensity. I though I would really die off at the last few rounds, but it held up good for me.

Nik Nichols 03-02-2010 02:29 PM

3:00 break

1. back sqt: work up to 83%x3x10
weight 250lbs

Scott Jenkins 03-03-2010 12:45 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;747612]8 rounds of:
Run 400 meters
Rest 90 seconds

time 23:15 (with out the last break

Runs on the street with stop and turn at the 200m mark. That was good, I was able to keep up on intensity. I though I would really die off at the last few rounds, but it held up good for me.[/QUOTE]

Your runnings coming along fast still Nik, sounds like your gaining stamina in the later rounds also, no high stepping walk or nothing like that also.

Nik Nichols 03-03-2010 07:28 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;747967]Your runnings coming along fast still Nik, sounds like your gaining stamina in the later rounds also, no high stepping walk or nothing like that also.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Scott, yea, I didn't die at the end. I changed my running form a little bit. I shortened my steps a bit, I wasn't streching out my stride when I got tired. I was taking small fast steps. Kind of like running in first gear with the RPMs really high. Fast smaller steps.
Going into the later rounds I was geetting tired, and started to strech out my stride, but stopped it and kept it tight and fast(for me). So i never just died and ran slow.

I know you see that little dog running with his feet going a mile a min!!:rofl:

Sp todaty. I still feel mondays workout. I am pretty sore still.

Scott Jenkins 03-03-2010 07:36 AM

I can imagine how you mean for the running, its like with musclin weights , whatever is more suited to you and uses the least energy.

My abs are still real sore from the GHD sit ups and my hamstrings are sore from yesterdays running (too much striding out), quite lucky its shoulder press today as they feel good.

Nik Nichols 03-03-2010 07:39 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;748039]I can imagine how you mean for the running, its like with musclin weights , whatever is more suited to you and uses the least energy.

My abs are still real sore from the GHD sit ups and my hamstrings are sore from yesterdays running (too much striding out), quite lucky its shoulder press today as they feel good.[/QUOTE]

Lucky for sure, I dreamed it was squat cleans in a metcon with 135lb. I'd have died.

My abs are sore, shoulders are still feeling the MU's , Calfs are real sore form yesterday. But for SP I will be fine.

It will be tough though. I don't have a real strong SP and 3 reps will be a hard one. But what is crossfit if it isn't hard. I'm ready.

Scott Jenkins 03-03-2010 07:52 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;748041]Lucky for sure, I dreamed it was squat cleans in a metcon with 135lb. I'd have died.

My abs are sore, shoulders are still feeling the MU's , Calfs are real sore form yesterday. But for SP I will be fine.

It will be tough though. I don't have a real strong SP and 3 reps will be a hard one. But what is crossfit if it isn't hard. I'm ready.[/QUOTE]

That's the spirit Nik, go hit it hard, remember your training for the 2011 sectionals now. Thinking of that have you searched your area for any Affiliate run competitions as it would be a good idea to try one out for experience.

Ernie Guevara 03-03-2010 07:55 AM

I also would have died if todays wod involved anything with legs. My hamstrings and calves are real sore today. Quads a little bit but feel tired.
What weights are you guys thinking of using today. I searched through my log and couldn't find that I've done this wod before.

Nik Nichols 03-03-2010 07:57 AM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;748054]I also would have died if todays wod involved anything with legs. My hamstrings and calves are real sore today. Quads a little bit but feel tired.
What weights are you guys thinking of using today. I searched through my log and couldn't find that I've done this wod before.[/QUOTE]

My max is 140 on SP so 125 if I can 3 rep it or more. I hope anyway. It will be a great shoulder workout whatever weigh.

Nik Nichols 03-03-2010 09:20 AM

10:00 warm up
30 GHd's
3sets 10reps
dip
pullups(ring deadhang 1set, 2 sets butterfly)
fronsquats bar only 30reps
30 abmatt situps 25lb plats

Nik Nichols 03-03-2010 11:54 AM

Shoulder Press 3-3-3-3-3-3-3
1. 115lbs
2. 125lbs
3. 125lbs
4. 125lbs
5. 130lbs
6. 130lbs
7. 135lbs x2(61K)
Then I dropped the weight to 130 again and got it 1/2 way of rep one.

My 1 reps max is 140lbs(63K) or 145lbs I was repping 10lbs lighter then my 1 rep max. Makes me think. What am I doing wrong here?

It felt reall good, i liked it all the way through.

Ernie Guevara 03-03-2010 12:31 PM

Good consistent numbers there Nik! You got pretty close to ur max there for reps. I don't know what it is either with being able to geta coupleof reps close to ur pr and then failing when trying to get that pr. Happens to me too on the shoulder press. Maybe it's just confidence. Either way you did good man.:highfive:

Nik Nichols 03-03-2010 02:23 PM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;748277]Good consistent numbers there Nik! You got pretty close to ur max there for reps. I don't know what it is either with being able to geta coupleof reps close to ur pr and then failing when trying to get that pr. Happens to me too on the shoulder press. Maybe it's just confidence. Either way you did good man.:highfive:[/QUOTE]

Thanks Ernie, I wanted to be as high as I could be to try to help my low max effort. I am happy with it.

Nik Nichols 03-03-2010 02:24 PM

3:00 break
3sets 5 reps squats @ 255lbs

I talked Brady into doing squats. :D

Nik Nichols 03-04-2010 09:17 AM

OK rest day wonderings. I'm posting this on my log so you guys can see what I'm doing here, I may post this as a question in the fitness section for comment.

My metcon abelity is not the strongest, I get tire, I break, I slow down. I fight to keep to a 321go standard, but that is REAL hard for me IF I can stand up to it. That being said. Look at this.

Last Thursday we did that 1min wallball, 1min rope climb, and 400m run 5 rounds.

Brady and I went together on this. He led me on every run, smoked me would be a better description.

On Tuesday we did the 8 rounds 400m sprints with the 90sec break continues running clock.
I beat him by 1 min.

WHY?

He almost always leads on Metcon runs. But I can get him on sprints like above. It was the same exact run same place, one day he smoked me, the next I beat him.

Metcon lacking? I had the time to recover breathing on the 90sec break. So i was pretty fresh breathing wise.

Ernie Guevara 03-04-2010 09:38 AM

Quick question about ur question nik. Who did more reps on the wallballs and rope climbs in that wod? If u did it means u did more work than him and could be why he beat u on those runs. And the other running wod their wasn't any work being done before the runs and that's why u beat him. That's my opinion on the matter.

Jay Rhodes 03-04-2010 09:43 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;748767]OK rest day wonderings. I'm posting this on my log so you guys can see what I'm doing here, I may post this as a question in the fitness section for comment.

My metcon abelity is not the strongest, I get tire, I break, I slow down. I fight to keep to a 321go standard, but that is REAL hard for me IF I can stand up to it. That being said. Look at this.

Last Thursday we did that 1min wallball, 1min rope climb, and 400m run 5 rounds.

Brady and I went together on this. He led me on every run, smoked me would be a better description.

On Tuesday we did the 8 rounds 400m sprints with the 90sec break continues running clock.
I beat him by 1 min.

WHY?

He almost always leads on Metcon runs. But I can get him on sprints like above. It was the same exact run same place, one day he smoked me, the next I beat him.

Metcon lacking? I had the time to recover breathing on the 90sec break. So i was pretty fresh breathing wise.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I'm not sure I have the answer. Perhaps its that he is able to push through the metcons harder, or you recover more quickly? Running is a very specific thing and running 400m after wall balls is different than running 400m after resting. Running during metcons can be mentally breaking.

Here is a question: When the runs come up in metcons do you [I]expect[/I] him to lead them? Maybe next time remember back to the 8x400m and expect yourself to be the leader. I find on some of the metcons, especially with a run or row, the slightest doubt can affect that portion of the WOD.

Thoughts?

(Ernie makes a great point as well)

Scott Jenkins 03-04-2010 10:30 AM

Every combination lends itself to different strengths and weaknesses. I read somewhere we have different energy pathways and we need to build them all up. The wall ball running workout is non-stop whereas on the 400m x 8 you have breaks to get your breath back, totally different workouts. You are stronger with the rests. I would lay money you would beat Brady on Barbara but he would get you or at least get closer to you on Angie as thats non-stop. You will probably get a better answer on the fitness section as of this board.

Laurie Smith 03-04-2010 10:38 AM

I would think it comes down to muscle endurance. Perhaps your diet plays a factor? stresses during the day?

Nik Nichols 03-04-2010 11:48 AM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;748784]Quick question about ur question nik. Who did more reps on the wallballs and rope climbs in that wod? If u did it means u did more work than him and could be why he beat u on those runs. And the other running wod their wasn't any work being done before the runs and that's why u beat him. That's my opinion on the matter.[/QUOTE]
He did a few more wall ball, he also did jumping pullups instead of rope climb.

That is the thing, He beat me on the same exact run on one workout but not the other. I beat him by a min on the sprints. It gets me that it was the same exact run. Same place everything, just diferemt workouts.

I see here that there is somthing I'm missing, a place to improve, but I can't see what exactly other then my metcon is lacking.

[QUOTE=Jay Rhodes;748788]Interesting. I'm not sure I have the answer. Perhaps its that he is able to push through the metcons harder, or you recover more quickly? Running is a very specific thing and running 400m after wall balls is different than running 400m after resting. Running during metcons can be mentally breaking.

Here is a question: When the runs come up in metcons do you [I]expect[/I] him to lead them? Maybe next time remember back to the 8x400m and expect yourself to be the leader. I find on some of the metcons, especially with a run or row, the slightest doubt can affect that portion of the WOD.

Thoughts?

(Ernie makes a great point as well)[/QUOTE]

I see what you mean, and no I don't think I see him beating me, maybe subconsious, when we started working out together even befor Crossfit, he was faster, it is only lately I can get him.
The last time we did ''Griff''(800m forward 400m backward) he smoked me big time. This time I had him cold.
So you may have a point it the mental thinking. Coming oout of sat thrusters and into a run I'm already breathless and try to recover breathing on the run and end up slowing down or dieing out right. Some times it is tough just to not stop.

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;748842]Every combination lends itself to different strengths and weaknesses. I read somewhere we have different energy pathways and we need to build them all up. The wall ball running workout is non-stop whereas on the 400m x 8 you have breaks to get your breath back, totally different workouts. You are stronger with the rests. I would lay money you would beat Brady on Barbara but he would get you or at least get closer to you on Angie as thats non-stop. You will probably get a better answer on the fitness section as of this board.[/QUOTE]

I see what you mean. He can sustain more , either breathing or like Laurie said muscle endurance. I just have to figure out where I'm lacking. Breathing has always been an issue for me(or the lack of it ) But looking at those two workouts with the 400's Like you said they are completely different, and demand different stran on the body. But they both have the run and one day I sucked and the ''next'' I did good. I want to nail it down, I want to see ''Oh right there, that is it, do more blank.''
[QUOTE=Laurie Smith;748854]I would think it comes down to muscle endurance. Perhaps your diet plays a factor? stresses during the day?[/QUOTE]

You have a good point muscle endurance. Or more efficent breathing. Diet I think is minimal, Maybe I should look into it more though. We are both palieo, him more then me(cheese, milk,) But even in there I can see amounts being a big factor.

I will probably post this in the exercize section. I'd like to see what the populas at large thinks.

Scott Jenkins 03-04-2010 12:16 PM

From reading all your replies I think it is quite simple. You say do more BLANK. I say do more of what Brady beats you at. A great example of what you should be doing is Nancy, Kelly or Nicole. All test your running with no breaks and hard metcon exercises inbetween runs.