CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39289)

Deb Weber 01-18-2011 04:50 AM

Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In

[QUOTE]Deb, I knew Red Barn was moving to somewhere in Sparta from Netcompton or Slamhope or whatever town that is just off the circle. Did you start out with Pat at the original location? I know him from his Black Bear Fitness days.
I'll have a decision to make once my on ramp is done in MoTown; either continue on there with people I've known for years and a 45 minute commute, or start up again with Red Shed in Sparta and about a 10 minute ride. Hmmmm...[/QUOTE]

Jeff, yes - I started in Pat's shed. Great group of people at the Shed, but, that's CF in general! Drop in sometime!! Hear you on the commute, I played hockey in Motown. Decisions, decisions. I can tell you that Pat & J9 run a great place, I LOVE their programming & coaching, would never want to leave. That's MY dilemma. Heard good things about Motown as well, do they ever post the wods? Black Bear, someone comes once a month to do flexibility with us from there! Well worth the $.

Michelle Simpson 01-18-2011 11:04 AM

[QUOTE=Michael Stiles;892007]I turned 50 on Friday and I am signing in for the first time. I have been going to Orange County CrossFit for about 6 months and currently doing 5 WODs per week. I started CrossFit in pursuit of greater strength, conditioning and flexibility for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Big ticket goals for 2011 are to improve my upper body strength so I can do pull-ups unassisted and then move on to kipping, HSPU, rope climbs etc. and eventually a muscle-up. At the same time eat much cleaner (almost Paleo) and get body fat down from 19%.

[B]January 14[/B]
[U]WOD[/U]
"Filthy Fifty"
39:57
Substituted tuck jumps for double-unders.

[B]January 15[/B]
[U]WOD[/U]
7 rounds
7 DB burpee thruster 20lbs
7 Pull-ups (band)
14:21
[U]Cool down[/U]
25 GHD sit ups
25 GHD back extensions
[U]Strength[/U]
Front squat 3-3-3[/QUOTE]

Happy belated birthday!! Welcome!!

Michelle Simpson 01-18-2011 11:11 AM

Welcome Martha and Jo-Jo!! Last week was a rest week for me. Once every three months I try to take a week off and I believe that scheduled rest continues to serve me well, I always come back stronger and more motivated.

[B]1-16-11[/B] CF total:

Back squat 160 (pr by 15#)
Shoulder press 70# (pr by 5#)
Dead lift 205#
435 total my first measureable CF total.

[B] 1-17-11[/B] My first official rope climb was done. Several failed attempts and 30 towel pull ups later my poor forearms were toasted. It was a great day because I'm absolutely terrified of heights.

[B] 1-18-11[/B] 3 rounds of an affiliate wod called "fight gone worse"...
1 minute at each station and 1 minute rest between rounds.
Wall balls 10#
SDHP 55#
Air squats
Push press 55#
Row for calories
251 reps total

Deb Weber 01-18-2011 06:13 PM

Nice work [B]Michelle[/B]. We dont have high enough ceilings for rope climbs, but we have a rope and I once pulled myself up from sitting, it was only 9' maybe but it was darned HARD!!! Good on ya. :highfive:

[B]01.18.2011-Tuesday-Day 2[/B]
Warmup: Row 500 (I could already feel my low back from yesterday)...squat, lunge, pushup, backsquat to OH to OHS hold warmup, shoulder mobility & stretch, trigger point, foam roll lats.

[B]WOD:[/B]
Complete as many rounds as possible in 20:00 of:
15 back squats - 135# (75#)
5 pull-ups
10 front squats - 135# (75#)
10 hand release push-ups
5 overhead squats - 135# (75#)
15 squats (no barbell, these are air squats)
[I]((scale the barbell accordingly, we want to see you succeed regardless where your name lands on the board))[/I]
[B]3.4 Rounds 75#[/B] (finished 3 rounds & up to 5 front squats).
Good one!! Alone in the gym tonite - I didn't even think about scaling - I guess I trust my coach! Scotty was coach tonite, he just put 75# on the bar so I didn't give it a thought!
Not the greatest in terms of rounds but I was really happy with this: I rocked my pullups, pushups were legit, all my squats nice and deep full hip ext. AND my OHS was good - I asked Scotty if I was deep enough and he said perfect. Maybe Im getting the active shoulder thing. I lost one in the 2nd round, and after I finished my last set I dropped it - on my head! :rofl: didn't want to risk lowering b/c left shoulder was so fatigued!
My front squat improved from that lesson last week too - rack much better, upper arms parallel to floor, I think I scared the crap out of latecomers, sounded like Darth Vader; i need to do the stretch for the rack & grow bigger shoulders!! Sore after yesterday. The worst part of this was the air squats, freaking burners!! I pbly should've praxed more OHS afterwards.

Jim Colby 01-18-2011 08:27 PM

Nice work Deb!

[B][U]January 18[/U][/B]
10 minutes of jump roping
Bench Press: 10x45#, 10x135#, 5x175#, 5x215#, 10x 225# (very slight assist on rep 10 :ranting2:)
Ran 5K on treadmill at 8 min mile pace (first mile at 1.5% slope, remainder at 1% slope).
Stretched legs

I'm ****ed that I didn't get 10 reps at 225#. Could be hangover effects from the big SDHP/push-up workout on Saturday. I also used the wrong weight on the second-to-last set. I was supposed to use 200#. My run felt really bad after mile one until I realized that I had the treadmill on the wrong slope. :rolleyes:Felt better after that, but all-in-all tonight was not one of my best efforts.

Jim Colby 01-18-2011 09:34 PM

[QUOTE=Cliff Miller;892470]good work all.

jim...we are a small town (15,000) with a very close tight group of people who give freely of their time to help others.

i have been organizing a mountain bike race here for the past 16 years and have had a group of about 40 friends/people backing me up for all those years working on this event throughout the year. and then on the weekend of the event we have about 300 friend/people helping out.

if it means me not being able to participate in an event under dr.s orders i will be involved supporting those friends who have supported me in what ever way i can.

we truly live in a unique little place.

what a rollercoaster of a day. saw the surgeon at 8 a.m. the shot worked, got my range of motion back was told i would be called in the afternoon with a time for fridays surgery. and "oh by the way. no upper body crossfit work for 3-6 months."

4:30 p.m. phone call from the dr.s office. can you come in wensday for the surgery? sure what the hell.....

went to the box frustrated.......90 lb sled drag 1000 meters.....22:12

felt better after that......[/QUOTE]

I've got a ski-buddy who lives in Squamish (in a van in a parking lot). Its a nice town! A few years ago, I tore my biceps tendon, had to have surgery and also couldn't do upper body stuff for a few months. After those few months though, I made quantum leap improvements in my leg strength and endurance. Use this time as an opportunity to do plyometrics, squats, lunges, core work, etc. and you will make some significant gains. You will regain your upper body strength within a year. Good luck with the surgery. You're doing the right thing getting it properly fixed.

John Burch 01-19-2011 05:38 AM

Don't Hurt yourself Deb with the WODs:D
where in the world is JJ and John Scott
1/18
WU20 GHD backext
3x12 GHD backext @ 45#
4x12 reverse hypers @ 50#
4x10 pullups
3x30 ABmat situps

WOD 5 rounds
10 Burpees
10 weighted 20" box jumps @ 40#
9:19

m/56/185

Michelle Simpson 01-19-2011 07:26 AM

[B]Deb NICE WORK!![/B]

[B]1-19-11 Warm-up:[/B]
Row for 20 calories
10 pushups
5 inner pushups
5 outter pushups
5 reverse pushups
Mobility lacross ball work (good stuff)

[B]Workout: 5 rounds[/B]
400m run
15 burpees (was supposed to be 20 but didn't catch that from the back of the room, the eyes are the first thing to go!)
15 upright rows 55#
24:40

Have I ever mentioned that running and burpees are my least favorites? BAM, both in one WOD!! :rofl:

Cliff Miller 01-19-2011 07:46 AM

thanks for the kind words jim.

there are actually a few people who live in vans around here. not because of homelessness but rather to support their life styles. ski, climb, mountain bike.

the couple who owns the box i go to have been GREAT in accomidating me. i checked my e mail one last time before heading out this morning and there was a note from one of them. "get better so that we can get to work on you lower body."

last nite was my last work out. they were going to have me do a 400m weighted walking lunge. i instead got to do a modified amrap 20 min. of what the rest of the group did using only lower body. i was partnered up with another woman who could only do lower body as well.

we did 537 reps.

i am just looking forward to being 100% again. it has been a long time.

keep up the good work all.

Deb Weber 01-19-2011 07:57 AM

[B]Best of luck Cliff!!![/B] Im sure it'll be fine - speedy recovery to you.:)