CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Nik Nichols 08-06-2012 09:13 AM

Re: Nik

[QUOTE=Matthew Williams;1083994]Hey Nik, I feel like we're kind of in the same boat. Ever since I came back from our team comp I've not been able to shake off the pain in my back. I've thrown in extra mobility work which usually helps, but right now it's not even touching it. The next thing on my list is to change our bed, it's too short for me and I'm sure that's adding to my problems.

I know your thoughts on pain killers, from what I've read you're not a fan, but right now it could be worth getting some anti-inflammatories in just to try and ease things up. I've avoided ibuprofen for a while but I think it's time to help myself a bit and give myself a mental rest from the pain[/QUOTE]

Yea, the bad is the part of the pain in my back, sleeping on our couch is better. As for the pain meds. I take them if it is bad enough, but I wont train if I'm on them. It is looking for an injurt doing a workout on pain meds. So that is a big reason I don't take them. I will give it a day or so and see how it goes. I'm not to the pain meds yet.

Thanks Matt, for the good works. Is that you on CM2s pic of the day? Which is you if it is?

Nik Nichols 08-06-2012 11:49 AM

In 3 minutes: (rest 1 minute between efforts)

•Run 400m, Max Ring Dips 1:32 23 ring dips
•Run 400m, Max Toes-to-bar 1:42 16 toe to bar
•Run 400m, Max Hand Stand Pressups 1:40 13 HSPUs (10/3)
•Run 400m, Max Chest-to-bar Pullups 1:54 20 C2B pullups
•***Post 400m Time and Reps to white board

last run was ruogh, I ran out of steam. C2B was 5/10/5
The toe to bar were that double swing at the bottom.

Patrick Haskell 08-07-2012 03:34 AM

That 285x5 is a big set, especially with that fat single after it. Clearly the back isn't holding you, um, back. Hope it clears up soon.

Are you doing any mobility work beyond the rolling in your sessions? For me, the glute pain is usually a symptom of a back issue, and the trigger point helps the glute but not the back. All the squatting can make for tight hamstrings,. which can pull the back into flexion - both while lifting and simply sitting. Not sure how your hamstring flexibility is (mine stinks), but with that much squatting I wouldn't neglect it. However, the stretch for me that provides immediate relief for my back are hip flexor stretches, particularly for the psoas which attaches directly to the lumbar spine. Of course, your mileage may vary. I sit at a desk or in a car most of the day. You seem to get up and about a good deal more than me.

Matthew Williams 08-07-2012 05:06 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;1084000]

Thanks Matt, for the good works. Is that you on CM2s pic of the day? Which is you if it is?[/QUOTE]

I'm wasn't at the cert. Matt Whale and Matt Nicoll are in yesterday's picture, I'm back on last Tuesday with the bar over my head. The missus says my face is very similar to when we have no food in our flat! :D

Nik Nichols 08-07-2012 07:13 AM

[QUOTE=Patrick Haskell;1084193]That 285x5 is a big set, especially with that fat single after it. Clearly the back isn't holding you, um, back. Hope it clears up soon.

Are you doing any mobility work beyond the rolling in your sessions? For me, the glute pain is usually a symptom of a back issue, and the trigger point helps the glute but not the back. All the squatting can make for tight hamstrings,. which can pull the back into flexion - both while lifting and simply sitting. Not sure how your hamstring flexibility is (mine stinks), but with that much squatting I wouldn't neglect it. However, the stretch for me that provides immediate relief for my back are hip flexor stretches, particularly for the psoas which attaches directly to the lumbar spine. Of course, your mileage may vary. I sit at a desk or in a car most of the day. You seem to get up and about a good deal more than me.[/QUOTE]

Thans Patric, I wouldn't say my hamstring flexabelity is bad, but I wouldn't say it was great either. I di some hip stretches, the couch stretch with and with out band and ham stretch with band. ( band pulling leg back and kind of bending at the his hands on the ground. Do you have any spacific stretches or videos that may help?

Nik Nichols 08-07-2012 07:16 AM

A.M. warm up
30 GHDs
30 back ext
10 HSPUs (hard)
30 abmatt situps
10 wide C2B dead hang pullups
10 HSPUs
10 close over hand dead hang pullups
30 squats
10 HSPUs
10 close underhand pull ups
30 pushups

rolled my back 2:00min
rolled left glute 2:00min.

Patrick Haskell 08-07-2012 08:10 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;1084228]Thans Patric, I wouldn't say my hamstring flexabelity is bad, but I wouldn't say it was great either. I di some hip stretches, the couch stretch with and with out band and ham stretch with band. ( band pulling leg back and kind of bending at the his hands on the ground. Do you have any spacific stretches or videos that may help?[/QUOTE]

The couch stretch is a good one for hip mobility, but it gets the glutes more than the hip flexors. The best stretch I know for the psoas is pretty similar to the sampson stretch, where you get fairly deep in front of the back leg with an upright torso, which stretches the iliacus quite well. To get the psoas, rotate your torso away from your back leg and then lean to that side as well. Ths psoas originate along the lumbar spine, but they connect from the sides. Tension in them tend to pull the spine into extension, so while unlike the hamstrings which pull the spin into flexion, tightness in it doesn't put you at risk for injury while squatting. However, they definitely add to the general tension in the lower back and stretching them out is a big help for me - perhaps because when one is tigher than the other, it torques the lumbar spine.

Nik Nichols 08-07-2012 08:17 AM

[QUOTE=Patrick Haskell;1084248]The couch stretch is a good one for hip mobility, but it gets the glutes more than the hip flexors. The best stretch I know for the psoas is pretty similar to the sampson stretch, where you get fairly deep in front of the back leg with an upright torso, which stretches the iliacus quite well. To get the psoas, rotate your torso away from your back leg and then lean to that side as well. Ths psoas originate along the lumbar spine, but they connect from the sides. Tension in them tend to pull the spine into extension, so while unlike the hamstrings which pull the spin into flexion, tightness in it doesn't put you at risk for injury while squatting. However, they definitely add to the general tension in the lower back and stretching them out is a big help for me - perhaps because when one is tigher than the other, it torques the lumbar spine.[/QUOTE]

Done and good timing, I will be doing it pre squat today. Thanks Patrick, oh nad you are right, I am on my feet all day moving and lifting. So I don't see much sitting in my day.

Nik Nichols 08-07-2012 08:54 AM

THANK YOU PATRICK!

sampson stretch with the ''Patrick lean'' on it. 2:00min a side
ham stretch with band 2;00min a side.
10:00 break
daily squat

115lbs x3
185lbs x1
235lbs x1
285lbs x1(bit slow here, but not bad)
330lbs(150k) x1

done in 7:19

took a little rest befor the last rep. It was solid, best it had been in days. better the the 285 just befor. Knees did not cave. Really happy about that. Expecialy after the heavy sets from yesterday.

Nik Nichols 08-07-2012 08:56 AM

I hope to warm up for the OHS and do that workout, but last Wednessday when I OHS the bar, my back did not like it. So we will see how it warms up.

this is the workout.

AMRAP in 12 Minutes of:
•15 overhead squats (45 kg/25kg)(100lbs)
•15 overbar burpees