CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Testimonials (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Weight Gain? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40529)

Joshua Williams 12-18-2008 03:54 PM

Weight Gain?

I haven't seen many threads on the subject of weight gain, so I wanted to see if this is the norm? Or is my body just shocked and not sure what to do?

I'm 6ft tall and I started Crossfit in Nov 07 weighing 193lbs, I now weigh in at 212lbs! My body fat % has dropped almost 5%, sorry I don't have pics, I'm a little iffy on posting body shots on the internet anyway............

Anyways, anyone with similar results?

Jason Scheffler 12-18-2008 04:36 PM

Re: Weight Gain?

Count me in for the weight gain crowd Joshua. When I started doing CrossFit I weighed around 175ish (never was big on weighing myself) several months into it I had lost about 15 lbs. I actually broke down and weighed myself recently on a decent digital scale and I'm back upto 165 and I have no idea at all what the body fat is at.

I chock this up to getting the diet more dialed in.

Emily Maisannes 12-20-2008 07:49 PM

My boyfriend, Stefan Still, started out at 6'3" (almost 6'4") and 165. Four months later, he's on a steady march up to 190. I think he's around 186ish now. Obviously, there isn't much body fat to drop on him. He has maintained his very low body fat percentage and all his gains have been lean body mass. He has been practically eating us out of a grocery budget, but he's made just so much progress in strength gains, it has been worth it.

Lurene Grenier 12-23-2008 12:32 PM

When I started I was around to 185 and I looked FAT - Now I'm 189 and people tell me I've lost a ton of weight ;)

Leonid Soubbotine 12-23-2008 03:26 PM

Multiple guys at our place went up 10-30 lbs doing CrossFit. One of the most inspiring one was a vegetarian going up from 132 to 160 lbs! And another one is a guy going up from 174 to 205 and his pull-ups went from 5-6 to 46.

Mark Sands 12-23-2008 07:15 PM

i wish i were gaining weight. i've been crossfitting for a year now and my times and strength have improved greatly but i'm still 150lbs. at 6 ft tall i'd love to see a little gain

Emily Maisannes 12-24-2008 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Sands (Post 478157)
i wish i were gaining weight. i've been crossfitting for a year now and my times and strength have improved greatly but i'm still 150lbs. at 6 ft tall i'd love to see a little gain

The way Stefan has done it is just by eating a TON of food.

Tom Woodward 12-24-2008 10:07 AM

In about a year of strict crossfit with two 6 week starting strength cycles mixed in, I've gone from 210 to 230 and I look leaner now than a year ago. It's definitely possible to gain serious muscle on Crossfit if you stay in slight caloric excess all the time. Just make sure not to overdo it. Nice work Josh!

Stefan Still 03-11-2009 09:55 AM

Bumping this one since I'm doing some searches on the subject while I get back into the swing of things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Sands (Post 478157)
i wish i were gaining weight. i've been CrossFitting for a year now and my times and strength have improved greatly but i'm still 150lbs. at 6 ft tall i'd love to see a little gain

When someone drug me into CF Lorton several months ago I was 6' 3" and almost 156. I made a massive diet change as noted here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emily Maisannes (Post 478529)
The way Stefan has done it is just by eating a TON of food.

The main change wasn't necessarily consuming much more food but actually consuming it in the first place. I had to make the concious decision to actually start eating instead of pushing through lunch or skipping dinner. I actually forced myself to eat 3 meals a day (two on shake/workout days) rather than being lazy.

I also added weight gainer, lots of milk, and two daily snacks consisting of a granola bar, fruit bar, and yogurt between breakfast and lunch, then again between lunch and dinner.

The end result was a total weight gain of about 31lbs by the time I fell off the wagon in January.

I'm a stress-starver so combining that with a major break-up, moving, and no CrossFit put my weight into a downward spiral. I managed to regroup and stop the weight loss at 172 about 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately all of that weight loss occurred in regions I felt I worked the hardest to get in the first place. My legs (particularly thighs) and shoulders took the greatest hit.

So now I'm eating again and following my old diet. That has met with good results and put about 5lbs on me since I made the change 3 weeks ago. I've also decided to consult a nutritionalist since my new box has one on staff because I want to hit about 200lbs with some very, very specifc energy levels.

So the lesson here is this brotha, if you are a skinny guy then you're genetically predisposed to be one. We can fight that by picking a diet plan and sticking with it. Just know that if you fall off the wagon, you're going straight back to 150lbs quickly.

The tradeoff is that you might never be an absolute beast or built like Adonis, but you will look like you're cut out of stone as your CF levels progress. :D

Stefan Still 03-11-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan Still (Post 538233)
When someone drug me into CF Lorton several months ago.

Thanks Em. I didn't mean to make our 2 years together sound so trivial.

Good luck :)