CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Nik Nichols 09-07-2012 11:55 AM

Re: Nik

FridayOn September 6th, 2012, posted in:

5/3/1 dead lift
135lbs x5
185lbs x5
235lbs x5
285lbs x5
315lbs(143k) x5

all good solid reps

Strict Press 8-8-8-8-8
bar x8
75lbs x8
95lbs x8
95lbs x8
105lbs x8
105lbs(48k) x8

3 rounds max reps of (rest 2 minutes between rounds):
•1 minute max deadlifts (100/60kg)
•1 minute max ringdips
•In 4 minutes, Run 400m, 21 kettlebell-swings (32/16), max toes-to-bar

did not finish

my back is a little tweaky and going form max reps deads to 2 pood KB did not dound like a good idea. so I ran sprints
5x100ms
5 x50ms

not timed.

Hard to skip a workout like that and I'm struggling with pride, but on a positive note, I'm not hurt and tomorrow is another day.

Nik Nichols 09-07-2012 01:53 PM

3:00 break

squat cleans
135lbs x2(fx1xfx1)
155lbs x2
185lbs x2
205lbs x2
215lbs(97.5k) x2

time was up. I would have tried more with more time. All good reps(except the two at 135)

Patrick Haskell 09-08-2012 03:22 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;1091759]Thats it, BF kip. I have had them for years and pullups in small set like that are a break for me. It is all rythum on them. You have the strenght, it is getting the form down. Reall for me, I can't revery to a reg kip anymore. I have done BF so long. Which I think is kind of dumb on my part. But BF kip is so much easier and faster.

I figure that is where I got you today.[/QUOTE]

Funny, I feel the same way about the standard kip. It's slower, but in the middle of a difficult WOD, I don't mind going smooth and steady on my pullups, rather than standing around resting after busting them out butterfly style. I wonder if that's partly a function of our body types. Being a scrawny rail with most of my weight in the lower body, I can generate a lot of force pretty effortlessly with a gymnastics kip, whereas the butterfly kip focuses the stress on the upper body, which works better for a compact powerhouse like you. Of course, if I BF kipped with any regularity, my shoulders would give out, and I'd find myself standing on the ground looking up at a pair of arms holding onto a bar, so maybe it just wasn't meant to be on my end. :shrug:

Nice to see you still cranking out those squats. The sub-maximal, every day program is really interesting and will only be more so as the weights climb.

Nik Nichols 09-08-2012 06:18 AM

[QUOTE=Patrick Haskell;1092180]Funny, I feel the same way about the standard kip. It's slower, but in the middle of a difficult WOD, I don't mind going smooth and steady on my pullups, rather than standing around resting after busting them out butterfly style. I wonder if that's partly a function of our body types. Being a scrawny rail with most of my weight in the lower body, I can generate a lot of force pretty effortlessly with a gymnastics kip, whereas the butterfly kip focuses the stress on the upper body, which works better for a compact powerhouse like you. Of course, if I BF kipped with any regularity, my shoulders would give out, and I'd find myself standing on the ground looking up at a pair of arms holding onto a bar, so maybe it just wasn't meant to be on my end. :shrug:

Nice to see you still cranking out those squats. The sub-maximal, every day program is really interesting and will only be more so as the weights climb.[/QUOTE]

Honestly I learned to kip on my own, and for a wile it was a hybrid regular and BF mix. I did not even know I was doing the BF kip for a long time, I watched videos and just kind of learned what I learned.

You may be right on the body types. But I account most of mine to the kip as well. I may video it and show you what I got and see where the differance is for fun.

The squats are great and I love them, but they are getting to the point that they are taxxing the metcon. I will soon have to ajust my training to support the squats. I'm kind of undiced at the moment. But i have a break coming up as I have a local comp coming up at the end of the month so I will scale the heavys for that.

Nik Nichols 09-08-2012 09:56 AM

Daily squat

bar x10
115lbs x3
185lbs x1
235lbs x1
285lbs x1
320lbs(145k) x1

all good, last reps slow but steady. I though it was going to be harder after yesterday, but great lift.

Nik Nichols 09-08-2012 04:59 PM

Went up to the track and ran four laps with bleachers with Cathy and Martin.

Nik Nichols 09-10-2012 09:22 AM

A.M. warm up
fast short one because I did not want to get up so I had less time.

20 GHDs with 10lbs
20 back ext with 25lbs
10 HSPUs
20 abmatt situps with 25lbs over head
10 HSPUs
20 C2B kipping pull ups
20 squats
20 pushups

rolled my back 2:00min
rolled piriformus 2:00min a side
rolled hip flexers 2:00min a side

kicking drills

Nik Nichols 09-10-2012 09:25 AM

10:00 break

5/3/1 squats

115lbs x3
185lbs x3
235lbs x3
285lbs x3
310lbs(141k) x3

all good solid reps. Glad to have that one done. Felt good.

Scott Jenkins 09-10-2012 09:44 AM

Great triple on 141k Nik, your squatting is solid as usual. Just had a quick catch up and see you discussing your kips. I still use both, generally when I am exhausted on a breathy workout I revert to the old kip as it seems more easy to keep moving with a core that is concentrating on getting oxygen rather than keeping tight !!

Nik Nichols 09-10-2012 09:50 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;1092640]Great triple on 141k Nik, your squatting is solid as usual. Just had a quick catch up and see you discussing your kips. I still use both, generally when I am exhausted on a breathy workout I revert to the old kip as it seems more easy to keep moving with a core that is concentrating on getting oxygen rather than keeping tight !![/QUOTE]

Yea, problem for me is grip. You remember your old globo pull up rig with the tape to get chest to bar. My grips are the same width. If I ise the inner grip my feet hit the ground. I may work on it just to have it incase No BF kip is called. And just to have it.

I still don't kip HSPUs either which scares me a little for comps.