CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   CrossPit (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Which crossfit work outs for grappling? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=19750)

Jay Hanewinkel 04-10-2006 05:55 PM

I don't know if anyone has ever tried this before, but has anyone found which crossfit workouts have been best for a grappler?

Neal Winkler 04-10-2006 07:07 PM

All of them? :lol: "Fight Gone Bad" comes to mind.

But besides that I would venture to guess that the elements of a good WOD for a grappler would include full cleans or snatches, or hang cleans or hang snatches (NOT hang power cleans or hang power snatches), as they require one to explosively change levels underneath an external object in order to pick it up off the ground (remind you of a takedown?). Other than that any of the common CrossFit movements should work. Mix em' up and do them at high intensity, make sure to get in some other pulling movements and balance it with some pushing movements as well.

Also, you can mix in weight or body weight exercises with specific grappling movements, nothing wrong with that.

Couple of WOD's could look like this:

3 rounds for time:
15 Hang snatches
20 pushups
15 hang cleans
20 handstand pushups

Rounds in 20 minutes:
5 hang snatches
10 sprawls
15 armbars from the guard on grappling dummy (or partner)

Neal Winkler 04-10-2006 07:39 PM

Oh, I just thought of something. If you are in a jacketed grappling sport like sport BJJ or judo, a WOD that stresses grip strnegth would be really good. This particular WOD was a real good forearm workout...

Rounds in 20 minutes:
65 pound Deadlift, 10 reps
65 pound Hang clean, 8 reps
65 pound Push-press, 6 reps

Rope climbs and farmers walks would also be good exercises to use.

(Message edited by trianglechoke7 on April 10, 2006)

Neal Winkler 04-10-2006 08:07 PM

Some more thoughts...

I'll bet that split cleans and snatches would be even better for takedowns, as takedowns are done with a lead leg.

Jay Hanewinkel 04-11-2006 05:02 AM

Thanks for the insight. I thought a good goal might be to do the Olympic lift routines of 30 repetitions with my bodyweight within the time of a match.

jason lopez 04-11-2006 07:08 AM

towel pullups would be good for grip. i also read about a judo fighter that throws his gi over a pullup bar and does pullups that way.

-jason

Russ Greene 04-11-2006 08:16 AM

4 rounds for time:
500m row
20 reps heavy bag/sandbag shouldering(10 reps per side)

The bag shouldering is excellent for grappling.

Paul Alvarez 04-11-2006 10:56 AM

Opinions on burpees, Full Body Attack(with pushup and thruster using KB), Full Body defense using KB, Guard Attack using KB, Hindu Pushups and hindu squats? Should someone involved in MA do a lot of bodyweight skill excercises even including some gymnastic moves like(eventually working to) L-sit to to handstand press, planche pushups, etc...?

Peter Terry Haas 04-12-2006 12:09 PM

I’m glad this topic came up b/c it’s something I’ve been pondering and working on for a while. I compete primarily in BJJ and work at the school that I train at. Consequently this is what I do/think about the majority of the time I’m here. I train myself and the other guys that compete. I’ll apologize right now, for this being a long winded post but I’ve been itching to talk about this topic and get some feedback for a while.

I’ve found that the answer to “which CF workouts are best for grapplers” depends on what the person’s goals and prior experience are. I came from a soccer and martial arts background, so my endurance and conditioning were decent, but I lacked strength and power. I’d been doing CF for about 9 months and I weighed 175lbs. Before my last tournament, I tried the ME-Black Box program for 2 months and absolutely loved it. It really helped my power and my takedowns. I felt (and everybody remarked) that my strength levels had increased on the mat. My weight crept up to the high 170’s, which was OK b/c the top of my bracket at the last tourney was 180.
Now I have a competition this weekend, and the top of the bracket I want to be in is 170. In preparation for this competition I have done no max effort lifts. I have concentrated on body weight only workouts, couplets (ex. OHS and 400m sprint) and triplets (ex. 400m run, DB swings, pull-ups), tabata intervals, and sprint repeats. I’m still strong but I’m leaner. I’ll have to cut a little bit of water weight, but not much.

I’ve been working with another guy who comes from a college football background. Excellent strength and power, not so good cardio. He also wasn’t the best with bodyweight exercises. Let’s just say he was good at moving heavy external loads quickly but not very good at moving his own body around efficiently. I put him on the ME Black Box program to preserve his strength while improving this body control and cardio. I had him doing 3/1 on/off with the Day 1 being bodyweight only exercises, Day 2 Max effort lifts, and Day 3 800m sprint intervals. We’ve both been very happy with the results. His endurance on the mat has increased noticeably. He still has great strength but his movement on the mat has improved also. Other BJJ intangibles have improved but I won’t go into those for the sake of brevity.

So this is my current take on applying CF to grappling. Initially, use the WODs as rx’d on the website to increase GPP and to expose yourself to the feel of different workouts. Try out different CF variations. Now it gets tricky. Choose routines and WODs that conform to your goals for that particular time. Try to synthesize workouts that might not be straight up WOD’s but follow the crossfit mentality. I use traditional WODs and then add extra circuits. Some are very grappling specific; snap-downs using rubber tubing and static hangs using a Gable grip. I’ve synthesized 5 minute circuits just using drills such as shrimping, movement, and submission drills. Basically I use crossfit as a base and then add sports specific movement and routines.

Finally I can’t emphasize enough that conditioning is a SUPPLEMENT to your grappling. Nothing beats mat time. You have to spend plenty of time drilling and perfecting your attacks and defenses. You can be in the best condition but if your technique is poor you’ll be tapping a lot.

Thanks for bearing with me. I hope there is a lot of discussion for this topic.

Michael Ernest Estrada 04-12-2006 09:19 PM

Peter, Great post. I can not agree with you more.I am a purple belt in the Carlson gracie system and have been involved in CF for about 6 months now.I have found that CF has helped my conditioning better then anything, which without question helps me on the mat.all my WOD are designed to help my BJJ. i live and eat BJJ, all no gi stuff, I hate the GI.I am in the master divsion so i am not in my 20s. I am 5 foot 5 170lbs but will weight in at the U.S. nationals on May 13 around 165lbs.I train one day crossfit with muay thai and the next day is 2 hours of BJJ, 4 days on one off unless my body tells me to take the day off. I am in afghanistan as a team leader and have got a lot of guys to roll with, all young and bigger then me so all it does is make me better.Thanks for listening.
Michael Estrada
Team Maguilla
brazilian jiu-jitsu
Carlson Gracie R.I.P.