CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Intermittent fasting (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=8394)

John Phipps 09-22-2005 07:54 AM

The autumnal equinox is today at 22:15. I usually fast around the change of the seasons and will do so today. My last meal was last night about 10pm and my next meal will be some time tomorrow.

I feel there are more benefits then drawbacks to going a day or so without eating. My diet is a mish-mash of zone-paleo and what I like to call caveman eating. I sort of think to myself that for today and tomorrow I am an unsuccessful caveman and couldn't catch any food or find any nuts, seeds, roots, berries or fruit to eat. Any other intermittent fasting folk want to join me?

Alex McClung 09-22-2005 08:14 AM

Hey John,
Cool post. I've been intrigued with IF but until 2 weeks ago I didn't have the spine to give it a go. Found spine and started fasting every other day, and have been for about 2 weeks. I'm going breakfast to breakfast, so it's a 24 hr. deal. On fast days I indeed feel like a very unsuccessful caveman. Started the program at 21% BF. Doug (team greenberry farm) and I are pulling this effort through Mid November as an experiment in discipline and an experiment in metabolism. I'll let you know how the whole thing turns out. I did PR Helen yesterday, which was coincidentally a fast day. So far no measureable loss of strength, although I have shed about 3 lbs. I think it's too early to tell. Interesting note: I have no appetite when I go into my first meal off-fast.

Jeremy Jones 09-22-2005 01:40 PM

Are you guys drinking tea or anything during your fasts? I like to drink some green tea to give me a little caffine, and stave some of the hunger.

Troy Archie 09-22-2005 02:50 PM

I’ve found that a coffee during a fast gives you a wicked buzz.

Brendan Melville 09-22-2005 05:55 PM

Hey man,

I'm late on this, but I'll fast until tomorrow night. Birthday present to myself. Cavemen 4 life.

"Yes I'll have the roast duck with mango sauce please."
"I'm sorry, I don't have much of an appetite."

Alex McClung 09-22-2005 06:57 PM

I like to have a pint of milk in the afternoon, or maybe a V-8 juice. Purists might claim this isn't really fasting. Maybe I'll drop those at some point.

Brendan Melville 09-23-2005 03:30 AM

Well __technically__ milk is like a meal. But then, I have known people who fast with very very small meal(s) throughout the day. Your body should still be in "fast mode" while it is being underfed, so a meal of 2 or 3 blocks in the afternoon, or at lunch, if needed, is not necessarily bad.

John Phipps 09-23-2005 08:05 AM

I still take my vitamins, fish oil and a caffeine pill in the morning along with water all day long when I fast. I also drank a glass of milk with a scoop of protein powder and glutamine last night before bed. I have been losing a bit of weight lately, maybe 10 lb in the last 3 months or so and I wasn't real strict.

It was hard last night with my wife cooking and her asking me to finish preparing dinner while she looked after my step-grandson. I am 43 and I don’t want to think of myself as a grandpa. My 26-year-old stepson has a 2-year-old son. My oldest son is 19, and I have two other kids, a daughter who is 17 1/2 and my youngest son is 16.

Brendan Melville 09-23-2005 11:22 PM

I did 24 hrs of fasting, and then went out for my birthday to a japanese restaurant. The fasting was the first 24hr fast I had done in a long time, and it was not as bad as I remember. I worked out right before I went out to eat, and I felt great. My only meal throughout the day was green tea and water.

Scott Kustes 09-24-2005 09:53 AM

I do 15-hour overnight fasts pretty much daily and have some tea most every morning. It's a nice caffiene and antioxidant kick.