CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   300 lb Grace (not Rob Orlando) (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=74778)

Arturo Garcia 04-16-2012 01:23 PM

Re: 300 lb Grace (not Rob Orlando)

The funny thing is that Dan Bailey does Grace with 135# in 1:02.... and what is his 1RM? I could be wrong but I'm willing to be it might be around those 303 that Spencer is throwing around like nothing 30 times?

But you put Spencer in a WOD with some 400m runs, double unders, burpees and some other BW stuff and he will get absolutely killed by CFers.

What is the point of the conversation?

It's like saying "CF competitions use the rings.... but an olympic gymnast would smoke a top CFer at the rings".... well DUH, of course they will.

And an olympic sprinter will smoke top CFers at the 400m run.

Just like the oly lifter will smoke at 300C+J for reps.

And guess what: there is a big chance that a professional softball outfielder can throw a softball further than some top CFers too. ;) Just had to throw it out there.

What is the point of all of this anyways? :D

Rebecca Roth 04-16-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia (Post 1052936)
What is the point of all of this anyways? :D

They joy of seeing awesome feats of athletic prowess isn't enough? :shrug:

Ryan R Johnson 04-16-2012 01:38 PM

There is no point of this thread. But it's sucked everyone in none the less. Spencer is a beast

I want to talk about what would be a better skill to have when the zombie apocalypse comes..

Oly lifting
Strongman
Gymnastics

???

Arturo Garcia 04-16-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth (Post 1052937)
They joy of seeing awesome feats of athletic prowess isn't enough? :shrug:

I was refering to The point of trying to argue who would do best at what WOD and whatnot. Trying to compare people who train for the CF Games with people who train for other sports, but might do a CF Wod every once in a while just for fun....

Not the point of watching the video. The video was pretty cool, the feat itself was awesome I'll give him that. :)

Chris Mason 04-16-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan R Johnson (Post 1052939)
Sure they do. I'm not trying to start arguments, I'm just stating my opinion, and everybody jumped on me.

Games competitors are becoming more specialized. Rob Orlando has a strongman specialization. Chris speallers is a bodyweight emphasis despite being pound for pound one of the strongest. Josh Everett's is oly lifts. A lot of this comes from their background, but a lot of these men specialized in one area for many many years before entering the crossfit arena.

I love crossfit. I thinks it's an evolving exciting sport. I am just saying that if you are a beast in one area, and bring up the others to a competitive level, you have an advantage.

I've been a fighter for years. And many years ago when I started boxing, we had guys that were very well rounded. They were usually journeymen. Others would have something they really shined at. Be it a shattering left hook. Ir amazing foot work. Or super fast reflexes.

Now you would think that the trainers would have the boxer work on other areas the most, to bring everything up to an even skill level. They did quite the opposite. The drilled that left hook until the fighter could land it from every angle , in every situation. They honed that skill until it was deadly. Then they would bring the fighter up to proficiency in everything else.

These were the best and most dangerous fighters. Because the were gonna land that left hook and they were going to win with it.

I just think that everyone has something they excel in and if they can hone and perfect it they would be a better competition for it.

By the way, Orlando really should forget the strongman specialization if he really is doing that. He is waaayyyy too small to ever do well in the sport (I mean small in stature). He should focus on powerlifting or O-lifting if he wants to try to excel in a strength sport.

Ryan R Johnson 04-16-2012 01:50 PM

Chris, what do you think of his strongman wod site? I've peeked at it. Seems like a blend of strongman + met cons..

Wouldn't met cons seriously effect your ability to do strongman or powerlifting?!

Just asking cause I have a hard enough time recovering from regular strength training + met cons

Aushion Chatman 04-16-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael R. Miller (Post 1052865)
Google Caleb Ward does a backflip, he is shorter then Spencer but he was a super heavy lifter and backflips with ease.

Don't really want to add much to this thread...and don't want to take away anything from a big guy with agility because it IS scary to see, and I appreciate it!

But a backflip is a pretty simple skill if you can jump a few inches off the floor, tuck your knees to your stomach and have big "juevos". Most decently athletic folks can pull it off...

The big part is having the balls to do it, and not quit halfway through.

Jonathan Renner 04-16-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan R Johnson (Post 1052684)
Why not? You want to be okay at everything. Why not be a god in one thing?

That's the problem. There's such pride here in being a jack of all trades, master of none. But your videos doing grace will never be circulated on forums..

I can live with that.

I'll just sit here in my "mediocrity", despite being able to run a 5:45 mile, do 14 deadhang pullups, and deadlift 2.4x my bodyweight.

99% of the population would love to be able to hit those numbers.

We all have different goals. I'm currently training to kill it in physical agility tests that fire departments will be running me through. Last I checked, there was no power clean station, because that is not suited towards the physical demands of firefighting. I think you just need to accept that not everybody sees things the same way that you do.

Ryan R Johnson 04-16-2012 02:44 PM

I accept it, this forums for expressing view point, not imposing them on others.

Best job in the world . You'll love it. I've been on the job 12 years.

Most entrance tests at least in my area involve stair climb, dummy drag, hose pulls, hoisting hose reels, weighted keiser. Etc all in a timed evolution. Best training for it would be stairmaster with a weighted vest. And lots of prowler pushes and drags.

Also a 2 mile run in 15 minutes, but thats cake. And a swim an 1minute breath hold.

I just did a competition the other day that was a race up a 55 story building with full gear and pack. It was actually pretty brutal.

Good luck on the testing. With those numbers in the weight room , I'm positive you'll do great.

Clint Harris 04-16-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan R Johnson (Post 1052939)
There is no point of this thread. But it's sucked everyone in none the less. Spencer is a beast

I want to talk about what would be a better skill to have when the zombie apocalypse comes..

Oly lifting
Strongman
Gymnastics

???

Gymnastics of course. If you roll an ankle while running away, you can simply flip over and continue on your hands.