CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Want to see my abs! (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=57910)

Sara Schroeder 05-05-2010 10:12 AM

Want to see my abs!

I've been consistently training 5-6 times/week with Crossfit, trying to run a couple times a week, and following the Zone diet for 18 weeks now. I started out with 10 blocks/day and had some weight loss, but also was feeling fatigued. I did some reading on Robb Wolf's website and tweaked my diet, so now I'm at 12 blocks protein, 8 blocks carb, and 24 blocks fat. My carbs mainly consist of broccoli, lettuce, celery, cauliflower, and green beans and my fat is almost 100% almonds. My energy level is good, but I've put on a few pounds and can't seem to lose the last little bit of belly flab. I'd really like to lean out and be able to see those awesome ab muscles....any suggestions?

PS I'm 5'8 1/2" and weigh about 135#.

Jamie J. Skibicki 05-05-2010 10:18 AM

Re: Want to see my abs!

Hey you. I haven;t seen you on in a while. I got nothing for the abs, just wanted to say hi. THat and do a little thread hijacking.

Renee Lee 05-05-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara Yates (Post 779443)
I've been consistently training 5-6 times/week with Crossfit, trying to run a couple times a week, and following the Zone diet for 18 weeks now. I started out with 10 blocks/day and had some weight loss, but also was feeling fatigued. I did some reading on Robb Wolf's website and tweaked my diet, so now I'm at 12 blocks protein, 8 blocks carb, and 24 blocks fat. My carbs mainly consist of broccoli, lettuce, celery, cauliflower, and green beans and my fat is almost 100% almonds. My energy level is good, but I've put on a few pounds and can't seem to lose the last little bit of belly flab. I'd really like to lean out and be able to see those awesome ab muscles....any suggestions?

PS I'm 5'8 1/2" and weigh about 135#.

you're working out too much. if you're been reading/listening to robb wolf, you know how he feels about cortisol levels in regards to intensity and volume.

dial back the volume, dial back the intensity.

not only that, vary your foods...specifically your fat. almonds have a high percentage of omega 6s which can be pro-inflammatory, so your o6:o3 fat balance could be out of whack. supplement with fish oil.

EDIT:

oh, you're 5'8", 135 and were zoning on 10/blocks a day?! and now you're only at 12?! woman, eat more! if you must zone, i'd be at 13 or 14 blocks of protein if i were you...and at 5'8" myself, i'm close :P

Sara Schroeder 05-05-2010 10:30 AM

Hey Jamie...yeah it's been a LONG time since I've been on here, but I'm getting frustrated with my training/diet.

Renee, thanks for the advice and I have to admit, I didn't read much of Robb Wolf past the "how many blocks should I be eating" and "how to tweak my carbs and fat" so that's good to know about the cortisol levels. I'll do some more research. What suggestions do you have for fat besides almonds? I do supplement with fish oil already...

Sean Dunston 05-05-2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renee Lee (Post 779447)

oh, you're 5'8", 135 and were zoning on 10/blocks a day?! and now you're only at 12?! woman, eat more! if you must zone, i'd be at 13 or 14 blocks of protein if i were you...and at 5'8" myself, i'm close :P

What? Why?
I've been happily Zoning for over 2.5 years @ 16 blocks, and I'm roughly her height, 30# heavier than she is, with probably a proportionately lower % of BF just due to the fact that I'm male.

Ryan Earle 05-05-2010 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara Yates (Post 779457)
Hey Jamie...yeah it's been a LONG time since I've been on here, but I'm getting frustrated with my training/diet.

Renee, thanks for the advice and I have to admit, I didn't read much of Robb Wolf past the "how many blocks should I be eating" and "how to tweak my carbs and fat" so that's good to know about the cortisol levels. I'll do some more research. What suggestions do you have for fat besides almonds? I do supplement with fish oil already...

You might consider reading this -- From Robb Wolf

Quote:

Rob,
I would like to start with saying thank you for all of your time and commitment to the crossfit community. I am very frustrated with the zone right now. I am 6?2? 230# with about 19-20% BF. I weigh and measure everything and no cheat days. I started with 18 blocks strict for 5 weeks and have now switched to 16 blocks for the last 2 weeks. My body comp has pretty much stayed the same. I hear people say that body comp changes very quickly on the zone. Am I just not being patient enough? I am a crossfitter and an ironman triathlete following main site WODs and 6 crossfit endurance WODs a week. I am happy with my performances, 5 min Fran, 7 min Karen, 4 min Diane and times are dropping. But, I am not happy about the body comp and I am hungry all the ****ing time. I guess I am looking for a direction in which to play with this. What will least effect my distance stuff (at least with CFE we dont go long too often). Should I half the carbs and up the fat? Sorry for the rambling, and any direction would be much appreciated. Thanks

Toby Shell
Crossfitfusion.com

My immediate sense on this is TOO MUCH WORK, TOO MUCH INTENSITY, TOO OFTEN. One of our trainers, Angela is an endurance chick…she likes that “running” stuff. She was really lean, had solid performance and was “just” doing the 3-on-1-off WOD, occasionally even a little less than this. Then she added more endurance activity in preparation for a 50K trail run (can you ****ing believe that?! 50K!) and with the increased activity….she gained fat around the midsection. Significant amounts. Now she is a solid paleo/zoner, completely gluten free…she has NO holes in her game nutritionally. She is a model athlete in this regard and she was buggared by the fat gain when her training took an up-tick in both volume and intensity.

What the hell gives here?

In an earlier post I looked at how exercise is ineffective for fat loss. I had a follow up to that post over at Art Devany’s site but I can not find it for the life of me…this is the clossest thing I can track down.

So there appears to be a paradox here. In the first posts I mention that exercise will not make you lean, that you need to control insulin via sound nutrition and only then will you get the leanness you want. Now I’m not focused on food but am looking at exercise making people…fat?

Toby, I don’t think ANY amount of food tinkering will bring that bodycomposition down. I think you are getting too much volume and likely too much intensity of exercise. I’m going to take a big leap (not really) and say you are likely under slept (6-7hrs/night max) as well. If we did an ASI test on you (adrenal stress index) I suspect you would have some wickedly elevated cortisol, and as a consequence, poor insulin sensitivity. You have your body in a fight or flight mode and the main causitive factor is too much exercise. I’d be willing to wager inadequate sleep as well. Here is what I’d like you to do:

1-Drop the CF-Endurance work for 1 month.

2-Keep your blocks at 18, put 1/2 of your carbs into the post WO meal. Consider cutting down to ~12-15 blocks TOTAL. Add fat as I’ve described with other folks (3 blocks of fat for every carb blcok deleted).

3-sleep in a COMPLETELY DARK ROOM FOR AT LEAST 9 HRS PER NIGHT. Kill someone to make this happen if you have to.

4-Take a buffered, sugar free vit c before bed like Emergen-C. This should help to drop nightime cortisol levels.

Report back and let me know how things are going…then we can see about how to ratchet up your endurance efforts and still keep you lean.

Renee Lee 05-05-2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Dunston (Post 779459)
What? Why?
I've been happily Zoning for over 2.5 years @ 16 blocks, and I'm roughly her height, 30# heavier than she is, with probably a proportionately lower % of BF just due to the fact that I'm male.

modified with xhow much fat?

imo, the rxed zone is too calorie restrictive for athletes in general and i think even more so for female athletes.

but besides that, she said she was feeling fatigued on 10blocks a day, because that's most def. not enough food. 13 blocks of protein is a lot closer to the 1block/10lbs of body mass.

12 may be enough for her...i just don't think it is...but fi you noticed, intake was the last thing i suggested she tweaked. volume and cortisol is probably the issue.

Renee Lee 05-05-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Earle (Post 779464)
You might consider reading this -- From Robb Wolf

thanks ryan for the quote. i think you posted this the other day...i was going to link to it, but couldn't find it. :)

Renee Lee 05-05-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara Yates (Post 779457)

other fat sources:
bacon :)
avocados
coconut
fish
walnuts and macadamias
olives/olive oil

Kevin Thomas 05-05-2010 10:45 AM

I don't get it. If high volume work makes people fat, then why aren't endurance athletes who follow traditional high volume programs fat. They should be real tubs of lard with all that running and banana eating they do according to the logic I see here.

Maybe the OP needs to lower the fat intake and up the carbs. Works for some people.